“Fraudulent, sneaky manager takes advantage absolutely horrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Rome
“Fraudulent, sneaky manager takes advantage absolutely horrible.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

My two friends and I checked in at this quality Inn in Rome New York for a Saturday night stay we were going to a convention at the nearby turning Stone Casino. The manager/owner was extremely rude. We checked out the next morning at 10 AM and left to go to the last day of the convention. About an hour and a half later the manager called and claimed that we tore down half of the curtains and stole the curtains. He said he filed a police report and charged my card an extra $200 charge for damage and stolen curtains! Who would steal curtains. I told him that I would come back to the hotel and talk to the police and get this whole matter straightened out. An hour later he called me back and said that the curtains are actually fine, not ripped down and still in the room. He also said the $200 would be refunded. He talked to me like I was a criminal and then when he called back he wouldn't even apologize! He is a thief. DO NOT GO ANYWHere NEAr this PLACE!!! When I got home and checked my credit card the $200 charge was still on my card. When I called back again I was threatened with police report and quote evidence and told that I be careful about what I say when I told them I was going to complain. Stay away

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Bowzer1440

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed for two nights. Manager is extremely rude. Took 30 minutes for us to check in by ourselves, no one else there & they attempted to charge us double.

When checking out, took over 45 minutes. Different manager very rude to us and other patrons. Tried to charge everyone for PPV movies that no one ordered. Tried to charge our credit cards even though we paid in cash.

Another patron was cut while sleeping because a price of glass in the mattress worked its way through and cut her open. Manager was more concerned with telling us it wasn't his fault then trying to help them.

Don't stay here!

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank smeghead4000
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I made a reservation for a ground floor room, as one of our party has a heart condition and cannot climb stairs. When we checked in at 11pm, we were informed that there were no ground floor rooms. This hotel has NO ELEVATOR. (Ever hear of the ADA?) The manager told me that he took my reservation (He didn't; A Becky did). I am not going to be racist, but sometimes there are stereotypes that are true. Some of the certain peoples that tend to own hotels have a common trait: no customer service at all! They'd rather threaten you, intimidate, and argue with you over stupid things that should have been taken care of!

I have stayed at this "Quality" Inn for the past three years, and something has gone terribly wrong every year, and also with other friends' hotel stay here. The management is happy to argue with you on everything, rather than to tend to your needs. The room I had for three days was equipped with one (1) sheet of Kleenex and a half roll of TP. I took the Kleenex box out of the wall apparatus so the maid could see it needed refilled, and nothing was done. No TP was replaced, and the sheets weren't changed, they just re-made the bed. When I called down to the front desk, I was told that I had to come down (two flights of stairs, remember!) to the front desk to get the items that weren't replaced in the FIRST PLACE!

The fraud that I speak of is the $1.99 "Amenity Fee" charged to me every night I stayed there. I was there for a classic movie festival, and DIDN'T WATCH ANY HOTEL MOVIES! I got in the line at checkout to complain.

The young woman in front of me was there to show the manager the piece of glass that was embedded in the mattress that CUT HER LEG!!!! The manager never, ever once said "I'm sorry." Instead, he asked her threateningly about how many people they had in the room. I hope she sues!

This hotel is an awfully kept motel that smells like a bad hotel. There was a sofabed in the stairwell for our entire trip! I shall never, ever stay here again!

Room Tip: No room here is your best bet! What a bunch of crooks!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cru3rdBari
Westfield, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We travel with our dog Major who is a very friendly and well bahaved golden retriever. We always disclose this and in fact we made our reservation by going through the Choice Hotels reservation center because I am an elite member of the affinity program. Well,, we reserved a non-smoking room with a king sized bed with a seating area. When we arrived at the hotel, their was a sign that said that pets could only stay in "smoking rooms." I have never encountered such a policy in 25 years of travelling with a dog! When I asked why, the manager became quite animated and said that if I didn't like it, I didn't have to stay there. We had driven several hours and were tired and just wanted to get to the room. So i said just give me the key.

The young clerk who was checking me told me to enter at the side entrance and showed me on the facility map where the room was. Well, when I got to the side door, the key wouldn't work. So I assumed that the door was locked for everyone. I then took my dog on his lead in through the front door and said to the clerk that the side door was locked. I proceeded to go through the pool area to reach our room. When I was nearing the door, the clerk cam running to me and aploogized, but our keys had been given an additional code which allow for side door entry. She gave me two different keys.

I proceeded to the room from the pool area and discovered that the room was door was chained from the inside so I would have to enter from the side door. So once again, my dog and I went around to the side door. As walked through the lobby I said to the clerk that the door was chained from the inside.

Well, we finally got into the room from the side door and discovered that a chair was positioned in front of the door on the pool side entrance and that it was chained. We moved the chair and we were able to sit by the pool.

Well, that doesn't end the sga. The next morning we went to breakfast at the Iron Kettle which wasa good. When we returned, my wife took the dog out for a walk and her key wouldn't work on the side door. She had to go to the front desk to get us two new keys.

Then, we checked out on Thursday morning. We had stayed in peace and quiet and I just wanted to leave with the bill indicated as paid. The manager was there and overheard the clerk say my room number which triggered to look at the bill. He then said that we were not supposed to be in a smoke free room (which we were only because we had gotten the room from the reservation center and not directly at that hotel). He then went on about how that shouldn't have happened and that I should consider myself lucky. I didn't say a word because I knoew I would have this opportunity to let people know.

I suspect that he goes against Choice Hotel policy in trying to keep pets out of non-smoking rooms.

In any case, I would not recommend this place unless you are a smoker. Then you may have an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Russell B
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at this motel for 3 days and there was an upended sleeper sofa in the stairwell the whole time. The hallway carpets smelled bad and the cover up spray did nothing to help the smell. There are carpets in the entrance ways and they were wet with muddy footprints and dirt tracked in from outside. Tile would be a better choice because it can be cleaned at least once a day!! The room was ok at first glance but could have used a disinfectant wipe on the counters dressers ( they were sticky and full of fingerprints) . The vaneer was peeling off the bottom of the doors and the grout needed changing around the tub (moldy) The airconditioner had to be shut off by crawling on my hands and knees underneath to unplug it ( knob did not work)
Motel has seen better days!

Room Tip: Bring disinfectant wipes with you and go around the room before you move in......Lysol spray to rid...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank viv m
South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

I've stayed here 4 or 5 times over the past several years. Sometimes it was good, sometimes not so good. Recently, I made no advanced reservations and picked the weekend of the Boilermaker to visit Rome. Called early to inquire about early check in. Staff wanted to accomodate, but unable to promise anything. Eventually, we were checked in to a clean, very acceptable room. Very comfortable bed. In the past, I've been there when repairs were taking place and new carpeting was being installed. So, it's clear to me somebody is trying to make it acceptable.

People.... this is Rome, NY If you don't know the history of this city I guess you won't understand. Rome is the home of some of the toughest, most proud Americans in this country. They have survived decades of blizzards, economic decline, un-employment and lousy politics. Few good things have happened to these folks in the last 50 years. But Romans don't give up. Hell, I'm happy they even have a Quality Inn to stay in when I'm there. Anybody remember the Family Inn? Give these people a break. They're trying!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank flhcle
Stirling
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

We stayed out in Rome at the Quality Inn because we couldn't get a room in Syracuse that was reasonably priced on Mother's day weekend. The room was very clean, the bed was very comfy, and the room was big enough for 2 people. The lobby wasn't great, but there is a Denny's restaurant attached to it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Holly154981
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
Red Roof Inn Utica
#3 of 13 in Utica
La Quinta Inn & Suites Verona
BEST WESTERN Gateway Adirondack Inn

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!