“Bare Basics - Sorta Clean”
Review of Relax Inn

Relax Inn
Relax Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I won't berate the hotel, there is a reason we paid under $50 on new years eve for this location. You get what you pay for. It was bare basics and clean enough. I wouldn't try to impress anybody by taking them here.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Relax Inn

Reviewed November 11, 2008

I have been traveling to Rome on average every two weeks for well over a year now. While there I have stayed at the Econo Lodge. The rooms are typically clean, well maintained and the staff friendly and accommodating however ..... you none-the-less take your chances if you choose to stay at this hotel.

To start ... 1 to 2 door keys out of 10 won't open your door when you get to your room requiring a trip back to the front desk. On 1 occasion, I was forced to make 3 such returns before ultimately being reassigned a different room. Returns to the desk for defective keys has unfortunately become even more common over the last few months.

Once in the room ... expect the occasional surprise. Like the bed that had obviously been made but appeared to have recently been used as made evident by the messy bed cover and trash can containing only a used condom and it's wrapper. I'm glad I didn't walk in on that. Perhaps the reason for the keys not working all the time.

You may discover housekeeping hadn't even been through your room despite it being after 4pm. Fortunately, I had no trouble finding the house keeping staff as most of them were just hanging out in the parking lot smoking cigarettes, engaging in a lively debate and talking on a cell phone.

Bolt your door. I for one like to strip down and take a shower at the end of long day and typically do it first thing but .... on this one occasion I had opted to eat first. Lucky me. As I sat there eating chicken and channel surfing (cloths on) a member of the house keeping staff charged in unannounced. She of course apologized and acted surprised to find me. Here again, it was well after 4pm.

Check to see that everything works. I found a sink would NOT drain and (on a separate occasion) a shower didn't work. Keep in mind ... both sink and shower problems should be detected and reported by housekeeping

Finally, leave NOTHING behind. If you leave anything of any value behind .... you'll never see it again. This is unfortunately something I know about first hand having just left a relatively expensive camera behind. Not surprisingly, when I called the hotel and asked if it had been turned in .... the answer was no. Out of fairness to the hotel staff it is possible, albeit VERY unlikely, that it was overlooked by house keeping only to be found / kept by the next person to rent the room. It goes without saying that leaving things behind on the morning that you check out is extremely risky. I made a mistake and paid the price. The irony is that given my experiences over the last year I had a long standing policy of taking everything with me when I left regardless of checking out.

In closing .... Keys and showers that don't work, clogged sinks, unannounced visitors and even the mid day (while you away) booty calls are all just inconveniences and it's not like they happen EVERY time but they do happen. The lost camera is a testament to my own age induced forgetfulness but it can also be a testament to a decline in personal integrity and honesty. People should not want to benefit or take advantage of another persons short comings. In this case my forgetfulness. Likewise ... the occasional inconvenience is a reflection on the integrity of the entire Econo Lodge staff.

I can take measures to improve or compensate for my forgetfulness but there's little I can do to restore another other peoples integrity so .....
it's time I move on. Perhaps somewhere else I'll find fewer inconveniences and God forbid I should ever forget something again .... maybe ..... just maybe ... it won't be lost forever.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 16, 2008

In the ad for the Hotel it said hair dryer, which there was none, refrigerater which there was no refrig, and iron no iron in sight. My sister and I stayed there because we were going to Turning Stone and It was pretty scary the last night. All we heard was noises out side all night long didn't dare open the door to look. It seemed someone was doing it on purpose. It was not a bed hitting the wall either we would of laughed at that. I felt like I was in a haunted hotel my sister would not even let me turn the lights out. The shower was ice cold the outlet by the sink did not work. Glad it was only two days. My sister said there was like a big stain by the bed like it had been a pool of blood. I don't know what ever happened in that room But I recommend not asking for ROOM 206.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank prich
Reviewed October 15, 2008

The hotel price was good and the over all appearence of the room was ok. The lotion & shampoo that is provided was used, which was gross. I went with my sister for the weekend. The first night the light in the corner came on all by its self. The beds were very hard and we woke up with back aches. The next morning I noticed bloody hand prints on the wall by my bed. It appeared that some thing horrible went on in that room. The last night we were there there was loud slamming door sounds til 1:30 am. The shower was cold. I don't think I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank doylek
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Room looked ok, old but clean and neat. Furniture and fixtures (shower/toilet,etc) seemed to come from an older hotel, no problem, recycling is fine even if it's gross. Sheets were really gross but didn't smell or anything.

Problems:

Room smelt like new wal mart paint (I made the mistake of using it myself once). The smell was overwhelming and there are no windows that can be opened. They are bolted shut. Had to leave door opened to get fresh air because the A/C unit smelled like mold/mildew, and made the paint smell worse. Woke up with a horrible headache. Seems like this is some kind of health violation on some level.

The hotel had people outside doing drugs, nobody seemed to care, probably due to the parking lot not being well lit. Even though the town seems nice, this was one location that didn't seem nice.

Basically you get what you pay for with this budget hotel. A few improvements could make it on a motel6 level. Would not stay here again due to the overwhelming new paint odor.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I stayed here for two nights while attending an antique event in the area. The motel is an older one that has been updated. It is a nice, clean place to stay. The beds were comfortable. It is a nice basic place.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed June 30, 2008

OK, let's be honest. This is not a Hyatt, heck it's not even a top rated Motel 6. What it is, is a old clean motel for a cheap price. The were several items that needed superficial repairs, none of which effected the function of the room. It was clean. The shower was hot and strong. The room was large and the beds were firm. Pillows were the standard chunk of foam rubber and the comforters had som light stains the washing did not get out. Room had a fridge which worked well. There were a lot of construction workers at it. Breakfast was coffee and orange juice with bagels, rolls and waffles. There were several restaurnts within a block as well as Ft. Stanwix National Memorial. Overall a good value (for the area) for the money but not somewhere I write home about.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TransplantedBuckeye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Hampton Inn Rome
Hampton Inn Utica
Hampton Inn Utica
#1 of 13 in Utica
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona

Been to Relax Inn? Share your experiences!