“Sad, but true”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Rome
Malta, New York
“Sad, but true”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

There was a time when a hotel like this one would have been inviting, even charming.
Unfortunately, all the reviews are correct. This place is a dump.
There are some serious issues with housekeeping and cleanliness.
Why should we have to ask for clean sheets at check-in or clean towels for the bathroom?
Would gladly have stayed if management was attentive, but they seem to only respond to big problems and requests.
With the air base gone, there are fewer and fewer places to stay in the Rome-Utica area, but you need to go somewhere else if possible.

Room Tip: Not possible. We tried.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed June 8, 2013

The location of this place is terrible, cross the intersection at your own risk. The main lobby is smaller than my linen closet at home and the staff are very rude. The room had stains on the rugs and sheets, someone else's toe nail clippings on the floor, and BED BUGS. We only stayed for 3 hours before discovering them. And when we approached the front desk about it, they said that since no one else complained that night- they wouldn't believe us. Even after seeing them! Their maintenance guy (who stunk of beer!!! And was FILTHY) said to us that they had the bed bugs in the past and renovated. So it had to be a beetle on the bed. When I informed him he was wrong, he told us that WE were the ones who brought them into the room. I will NEVER use this hotel again. If the ratings had a scale of 0-5 I would rate this place a huge 0!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Carmakiller
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This place is horrible and that doesn't even describe it! If just the site of the dented steel entry doors to each exterior facing room to the check-in desk with piles of assumingly dirty comforters heaped up in the visible back room won't turn you away, the rooms them self will give you the chills like something out of a horror movie or a crime scene. From the smell of must to the dead bugs on the window sill to the lovely view of what looked to be an abandonded overgrown train track out the rear windows. My family was only planning on staying one night and we figured for the price how bad could it be? We only lasted about 1 minute as I watched a bum ride by the rear window on a beat up bike and we demanded a refund, left and drove 20 miles away to stay at the Hampton Inn/Suites in New Hartford for about $20 more and had a great, clean, stay there.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed May 2013
East Amherst, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2012

This has to be one of the worst nights I've had! We were in town to visit the family in Oriskany, had booked for two nights. First...it had a no smoking sign on the door...previous visitors obviously smoked. The heater worked but was so noisy I couldn't stay asleep, it rattled badly! The room was ok as far as cleanliness and the bed was comfortable that's about the best I can say about the accomodations! We cancelled our second night and left, never to go there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

As some of the other reviews have alluded, I should have known better as soon as I pulled into the parking lot. However, I went against my better judgment and stayed...only to be woken up at midnight by the night manager, asking me how I got into the room. Long story short, the manager didn't understand that I said I was leaving early in the morning on the 14th, which is a simple misunderstanding. But, it is thoroughly unacceptable to be woken up in the middle of the night and ACCUSED of attempting to cheat them out of another night. On top of that, what is someone who is travelling by herself supposed to think when someone starts pounding on her door? I was on the phone, preparing to call the cops, when this idiot starting shouting that I shouldn't be in the room. What a terrible place, ran by equally terrible and inept people. I highly recommend to anyone who is looking to visit Rome that you find another establishment to stay at...one where they don't attempt to break into your room in the middle of the night.

• Stayed September 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 26, 2012

After leaving another horrible hotel (read my review of the super 8 in Utica) I booked this hotel for a similar value. I was a bit nervous driving in but the staff was friendly and let me check the room before booking it. I will say that the room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was OK. The stairs up to the 2nd floor were a bit scary (crooked) and the hallway was dirty. Breakfast was a joke. We definitely did dot waste any time checking out as early as possible the next day.

I would not stay here again!

Room Tip: keep driving...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank chefermom2
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Econolodge in Rome, NY on our first night on a cross-country
drive from Maine to Washington State. We got there around 9pm, a bit sketchy because of the
part of town it's in, plus there was a family of about 8 people standing in the entrance. Our room
was on the 2nd floor on the highway side, luckily with the air conditioner on you couldn't hear the
road noise except for the occasional siren. The room was fairly clean, beds comfortable. The bathroom on the other hand, had some problems. First, the toilet didn't flush unless you took the cover off the tank and pulled up on the plunger, didn't seem worth calling the front desk, since it
seems like the man who checked us in had all he could do to do that. The tub felt like you were
going to fall through it, had to keep my feet towards the edge of the tub, so i couldn't feel it buckle
beneath me, and I am not a heavy person.
As far as the continental breakfast, well the coffee was hot, but all there was for food, was white bread for toast, onion bagels, and frozen waffles. There was orange juice. We just opted for coffee and stopped at a McDonalds on the highway.
Over priced for what you get!! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, and would not stay there again!
Has made me a little leary of staying at any econolodge!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cherick4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
Red Roof Inn Utica
Red Roof Inn Utica
#3 of 13 in Utica
Fairfield Inn & Suites Verona

Been to Relax Inn? Share your experiences!