“Bugging and showers not clean, just awful”

The Inn at the Beeches
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Rome
Bolingbrook, Illinois
“Bugging and showers not clean, just awful”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had to travel to Rome for work, week after week. The company told me to stay here. After 12 weeks, I said, enough is enough, I don't care what the company says, I will go outside of Rome. On Monday upon check in, I had to always check if the showere was clean. Multiple times there was mold on the curtain and on the tile. I am surprised that just becasue of this, they are not shut down for health codes. So many people have allergies to mold. I would have to be moved or clean the shower myself, with lots of bleach and ammonia.

Multiple times, the room had a big stainint he carpet that grossed me out and I woudl have to be moved. I woudl not have my feet touch these carpets for fear of catching something.

Becareful if you come during catapiller time. They are all over the place and are congregating aroudn your door, since this is more of a motel, where your rooms entrance/exit is right outside. I truly never felt real secure here either.

I stayed 11 weeks too many and would not want anyone else to endure this place. Even my team, who lives in the area, said don't stay there.

Go to the Wingate if you want to stay in Rome. It was the best clsoe by. Or go to Utica, or go to Syracuse, even though it is a drive there are so many better options.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here any way. The better rooms are closest to the lobby.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank trlloyd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We went to Rome to visit my family for Christmas and ended up staying at the Inn when we found out there wasn't enough room at Moms. The staff was very friendly and wicked helpful from check in to check out. Breakfast was great and so convenient right around the corner from our room. Try the waffle!!!!!!!!!!!! The bed was big and comfy we could have used a few more pillows but never bothered to ask. I am sure if we had extra pillows would have arrived in a few minutes. The bathroom was clean and had plenty of fresh towels replenished every day. The heater was great I brought terrible footwear for snowy upstate NY and had soggy feet each day so I warmed my toes up next to it while watching tv and drying out my socks, lol.

We enjoyed our stay so much we stayed again in April when we had another family shindig!

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others, if you want more space ask for a big room!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OSPICC
loira74
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This place has lovely grounds next to their restaurant and conference center. Has a large pond that Canadian geese love. It was charming. Had a small swingset the kids loved. Rooms are small but quaint. Evening turndown service and fridge/microwave. We felt at home and were here 5 days. Free onsite laundry. Breakfast is not included but offered at the onsite restaurant and very reasonable. Helpful staff. Just outside of main part of Rome. I'd go back.

Room Tip: They had little cottages available that I would love to try next time.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The conference center is nice enough and has old-time charm. I was disappointed with the food, which was not as fantastic as my colleague had told me it would be-- but I chalk that up to different tastes. The rooms are a drive away and are acceptable. They are pretty small but ok if you just need a place to crash for the night.

• Stayed June 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Other than being convenient like any road side motel, for the price, the rooms were insanely small and not well kept or maintained. Everything was dated and old. Would not waste money here again when going to Rome, better more modern and clean places for the same $$$.

Breakfast at the little restaurant was very good, but the wait staff and others around us were busy bodies and quizzed us about our stay......while some might consider this home town friendly, I found it extremely annoying.

First time there was the last.

Room Tip: Only stayed in one room, but based on the age of the place, they are all the same, dated and worn.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 2003Ferrari
Trumansburg, New York
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I recently attended a conference here. As noted by others the property is very large. The lodging -reminiscent of a 60's era motel- was clean, and well maintained. The front office staff was very efficient and helpfull. All the rooms had front, and back doors where the parking was. Nothing fancy but servicable and confortable. No WIFI in the rooms but free cable connections. WIFI in the common areas. The conference area is almost 1/4 mile away up the hill. Again, it is old but quite nice. The welcoming buffet and other meals were well done. The staff got everything right without being intrusive.The meeting rooms were efficient. The bar was well stocked and the bartender knew her business. At $100 for the night, I've spent more, and gotten less more often than I want to remember. The group that I was with has been to 4 star places arround New York state, and gotten worse service. And as we were leaving we were saying to each other that we should come back to The Beeches and save a whole lot of money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert H
Portville, New York
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Despite the picture, this place is really two things- one is a conference center, which is pictured, and the other is a motel, which is where the rooms are. That being said, this is one of the nicest motels I've ever stayed in. It was clean, the room wasn't small, and it is very quiet, well set back from the road. There is a small restaurant on the property for breakfast, which was served quickly in a casual and friendly atmosphere. The best thing is the value- the room was quite inexpensive as was breakfast. For visiting my son at college in Hamilton, this was an excellent, comfortable, cheap option

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank annmariez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rome
Wingate by Wyndham Rome
#3 of 13 in Utica
Hampton Inn Utica
Hampton Inn Utica
#1 of 13 in Utica

Been to The Inn at the Beeches? Share your experiences!