“Surf and Turf”
Review of coal yard charlies

No photo provided
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We always order lobster and steak and it is always superb, especially for the price. The reason I didn't rate them a 5 is weak ambiance. Also, I don't like to have to get up and go to the salad bar, but that is a particular quirk of mine. Of commendation is that they frequently contribute to local Chinese auction fundraisers.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I are usually pretty satisfied after a trip to Coal Yard Charlies. Service is friendly, prices are reasonable, and the food is average to pretty darn good. We usually have the prime rib, and haven't been disappointed yet. The salad bar leaves a bit to be desired-more choices would help. Atmosphere is casual, the dining area on the small side, yet intimate, with tables and booths available. It's a Rome, NY staple, and you won't be disappointed giving it a try.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Not sure why so many people talk about this place being just average. We live in Whitesboro and take the extra time to travel to Coal Yards once a month. You get a great dinner and a great salad bar. The service has always been top notch and they don't rush you at all. Could I find better food, yes but on a family budget and desiring a homey feel I love Coal Yards and will continue to go there again and again. Want to spend your paycheck for dinner then go the the Steak House at Turning Stone. I look at relative value when making a dining choice.

The ONE time we had a poor experience the owner took care of us and we happily came back. They do not belong anywhere near the bottom of the list for Rome dining. Try it and you will see.

Bon Appetit!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Friendly service, but we were rushed through our meal...never been served that quickly and more or less pushed out the door. Salad bar uses tiny appetizer plates instead of salad plates making it impossible to put any salad on your plate...which was fine since the food on the salad bar was NOT fresh. The bread on the soup/bread bar was awkward to cut and dried out. The broiled scallops were awful and my husband's steak wasn't anything special either. Although they do have booths (which we prefer) it really worth the ride to eat there.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Good food, good service, cold beer what else do you want! Usually have dinner there several times a year and the food is always good.

Been to coal yard charlies? Share your experiences!