“Messy, messy home in and out”
Review of Beland Manor Inn

Beland Manor Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Fort Smith B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I'm regretful to report that Beland Manor Inn was quite a disappointment to us. My husband and I have stayed at many bed and breakfast locations across the country so we know what t expect from a bed and breakfast operation. We were surprized at how very cluttered the home was and even messy. We both felt we were staying at a relatives home rather than a professional business. The way the set up in this bed and breakfast is, it can tend to leave you feeling like you are possibly imposing on a family home. The back yard was by anyone's terms a complete mess with clutter piled around, lawn equipment left strewn about and in bad need of a mowing. On a positive note, the owners were very nice folks and the breakfast was well presented and tastey. But sadly, those things just didn't make up for the general messy environment and apparent neglect of the home. Not a place we would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Maddie M
Arbonnelady, Owner at Beland Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Maddie,
I am so very sorry you had such a bad experience at our Inn........ Mike and I feel a viable complaint is a gift to us and we are addressing your concerns. As I write this, Mike is painting the shutters and painted the front door yesterday. All of the yard clutter has been removed including dead trees and trimmings from yard work. After 20 plus years of being in business we do occasionally need to be in check of our surroundings. Though it is no excuse for your unhappy stay, the sagging economy in the past few years have taken a toll on our business and our quality of life. We have a priority list of upgrades and have been deligently working on these as funds become available. We truly hope that you will give us another chance........ We promise, you will be pleasantly surprised. We do listen to our guests and will do our very best to make sure guests feel welcome and can enjoy the beauty of our Inn without the innkeeper's clutter in our common areas. Yours Truly, Suzy Smith Co-Owner

There are newer reviews for Beland Manor Inn

Reviewed August 1, 2012

For the price of here, you would enjoy the repetitious and boring comforts of the chain motel.....but really , there is no competition, quality wins with fine accommodation, class cookies, jacuzzi in room, and a breakfast of real thought and quality cooking. The place exudes welcome and hospitality.

Room Tip: It's a toss up, you can't choose which is better!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank UtahBikers

Thank You so very much for the great review of our Inn........ In these days of big chain hotels, little Inns like us sometimes get overlooked. I so glad you appreciated our Breakfast and the comfort of our Inn. We hope you will remember us again when traveling to Fort Smith or the surrounding areas. Thanks again, Warmly, Suzy Smith Co-Owner

Reviewed June 2, 2012

My husband and I had the great pleasure of joining Beland Manor owners Suzy and Mike for Memorial Day brunch. Suzy was serving Eggs Benedict, which is a dish I always order at hotels and restaurants to gauge the excellence (or mediocrity) of the kitchen. My quest for the perfect Eggs Benedict stretches from Canada to the Bahamas. Who knew that all I had to do was follow the advice of Glinda the Good, and look no further than my own back yard?

Hands down, one of the most exquisite brunches I've ever experienced. First course: gorgeous blueberries, strawberries and honeydew melon with homemade creme fraiche. Second course: green chile polenta, sliced tomatoes in Suzy's delicate homemade vinaigrette, and the headliner - Eggs Benedict with layers of paper-thin sliced Canadian bacon, perfectly cooked egg, dreamy homemade Hollandaise (best I've ever tasted) and melt-in-your-mouth sauteed baby portobello mushrooms. Third course: sweet cheese blintz with fresh blackberries and peaches gathered from Spiro, Okla., that morning.

My husband and I had intended to BBQ later that afternoon; however, the thought of following such an elegant, ambrosial brunch with ribs 'n 'taters seemed wrong. So we took a nap, with visions of portobello mushrooms dancing in our heads.

Suzy is a master chef, Mike is a gracious host, and the ambiance of the Beland Manor is one of warmth and comfort. Several years ago, the Beland was home base for family and friends in town for my wedding. I stayed in the Ruth & Louis Suite, which was absolutely beautiful. We all felt as though we were staying at a relative's home, not a hotel. Suzy and Mike went out of their way to make everyone feel welcome, they accommodated every request, and served an amazing bridesmaid luncheon for my guests.

The Beland represents the best of what Fort Smith has to offer. If you want to truly experience Forth Smith, then stay away from the chain restaurants and motels. Allow Suzy and Mike to host you in their lovely home and present you with the best breakfast you'll ever taste. If you're in town on a Saturday, visit the downtown Farmer's Market (7 a.m. - noon), where Suzy sells her homemade vinaigrette, salsa, heavenly granola and Mike's spent-grain bread.

Room Tip: The Ruth & Louis Suite is spacious; perfect for a bride who needs room to dress. The Eugenia Bea...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1shoe2many
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Anyone wishing to enjoy the gentleness and pleasantness of life, spend the evening and have breakfast the following morning at Beland Manor. Surrounded by the beauty of a 1950's home with eclectic decor and plenty of amenities, the problems of the day diminish and the joy and energy of living get restored. After dealing with a difficult business situation, conversation with Mike and Susy, the owners, was worth the trip. The breakfast was something special. Thank you. Hot tub or shower was available. The room was quiet and restful and the bed very comfortable. The air unit was quiet unlike motels and hotels.

Room Tip: Colonial Room or Ruth and Louis suite were my favorites
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank edna d
Arbonnelady, Owner at Beland Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Thank so much Edna! We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Mike and I strive to make all our guests feel welcome and comfortable. We look forward to seeing you again.
Warm Regards,
Suzy Smith

Reviewed May 22, 2012

First, the owners of Beland Manor are the kind you always wish for - nice, helpful, knowledgeable about the local area, interested in their guests. I loved these folks. The food is the kind you also wish for - home made, tasty and generous. I had home made granola and fresh fruit, home made whole grain pancakes with a maple glaze - the owner even has her own cookbook! wow awesome food! Also, the reuse of the very large 60 plus year old southern colonial revival mansion is the perfect adaptive use for the prominant structure. It is really an interesting mid 20th century manson and we are lucky it has not been demolished through the years for some mundane use. It faces a beautiful greenspace owned by a monastery. The price is right - (under $100 for private bath, large room, clean space, great breakfast). The location is perfect, not far from the interstate and not far from the downtown historic district. I wish I could give this place 5 stars instead of three and here is why I cannot. The place is a little too large for the well-meaning owners to maintain real well, despite the best of efforts. I have stayed there before and want to again. I enjoyed it - but these reviews are about honesty and I have to mention the issues so perhaps the owners can get to them in time. They are mostly cosmetic issues about house naintenance - exterior window shutters are damaged and need repair and repainting. The front porch area also needs paint touch-up. The back part of the property features a nice yard but also there are piles of debris in one area. Inside, electronics need updating or at least, instructions - (the owner even had difficulty turning on and off the old boxy TV in the common space). Owner should probably hire a competent repair person to go from room to room looking for minor issues to update - like the sink in my room which moved when I leaned on it, and other items. It is just a huge property for any couple to maintain on their own and try to satisfy demanding BB guests. The other thing I suggest is for the owner to hire a professional decorator for a short consultation to suggest inexpensive room updates and especially to look over what could be a fantastic large common guest space on the second floor. This room has become extremely cluttered through the years and seems to double as a kids' playroom. There is stuff everywhere laying around. With inexpensive cosmetic changes, this could be an amazing room for guests. So I want to emphasize the positive here - the food, the price, the owners, the architecture, the location, but am hopeful repair, maintenance and updates can catch up with the rest. Don't be put off by the review. Next time you are headed to Fort Smith ask the owners how the updates are going. I suspect they will have accomplished much.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jimjade3

Hi Jim,
Thanks for all the suggestions........ You will be happy to know the "clutter" is already taken care of and put away. Occasionally our grandson's legos get the best of the Great Room. Without too much whining, I must say the past few years of the lagging economy has taken a toll financially on our business. So therefore in order to stay in business we have to have priorities in reference to expenditures and control the expenses that we can control. This year we had to put in a new furnace and a new air conditioning system in the downstairs portion of the house. Hopefully we will have a good season and will be able to paint the outside in the fall. We pray that the Bed and Breakfast business will get better but until then we will continue to make sure guests are comfortable and make the best Breakfast EVER.
Hope you stay cool this Summer,
Suzy Smith

Reviewed January 2, 2012

This was the 3rd time we have stayed at Beland Manor and like the times before, it was very relaxing and the food was very good.
We stayed in the Presidential Room and had special ordered a picnic meal to be sent to the room on New Year's Eve(we are not party people). The food was so good and the view of the fireworks at midnight was awesome--no standing in the cold for these two people(ha).
The Smiths are try very hard to make each stay memorable. We will come back again.
Worth a stay.......................................

Room Tip: All the rooms are inviting. Presidential Room's bed is high--so if a person is vertically challe...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dubber72
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My daughter and I stayed overnight at the Beland Manor Inn on our way to California and had a lovely experience. Our room was well appointed, spacious, and comfortable. The Great Room had movies, tv, and a kitchen stocked with various drinks. Breakfast was tremendous--tasty, filling and served by a friendly host. we highly recommend the Inn if your travels take you to or through Ft. Smith.

• Stayed: November 2011