“Beyond Expectation”

Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Fort Smith
Topeka, KS
“Beyond Expectation”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We spent the night here on the way to Louisiana. I have nothing but good to say about this place. Very accomodating, super nice, comfy beds and awesome breakfast. The chef cooking breakfast during our stay was genuinely concerned with the quality of our meals. The lobby is very well decorated and the rooms are the same. Great quality and definitely a place we would stay again.

Room Tip: Worth going out of the way to stay here. Eggs to order were a treat.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I found this Courtyard through Priceline. It was quite a steal at $55+tax, which was about $80 lower than the rack rate. If you bid on a three star hotel on their website, this property and the Holiday Inn on the other side of the Convention Center are the only properties in town with that rating.

The property was very well maintained and decorated nicely. Our room had one of the most comfortable beds we had slept on for quite a while. The A/C pumped out ice cold air and we were very comfortable during our brief stay.

The hotel had a restaurant (no free breakfast), indoor pool, and exercise room. However, we did not make use of any of them during our time at the hotel.

My only complaint was with the placement of a crib in our room. I called the property the day before our arrival asking for a crib and was assured that we would have it in our room. We arrived just after midnight and our baby was sound asleep. When we got to our room, there was no crib. The clerk was very apologetic, but I had to go to our car, get our portable pack-and-play, and put it together in our room. By this time, our son woke up. This didn't ruin our stay, but I wish that our request had been notated and followed through with.

Overall, this is a great property was very good. If you can book it through Priceline, it's a steal!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I'm a business traveller, and I have to say, this is from what I can see, the nicest hotel in town. It's not very old, couldn't be much more than 5 or 6 years. Very updated, very clean, contemporary decor. Restaurant & Bar on site. Walking distance to probably 10-12 very cool downtown restaurants. This is the best place to stay in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2012

For the outside of a Marriott, it looked a little aged. But once I walked in, I was amazed! The decor and cleaniness spoke upscale and elegance at an affordable cost. I was traveling cross-country with my family and I was looking for a clean, safe hotel to stay. Pool and spa were clean and maintained. The hotel is located within walking distance of all the restuarants and shops and a just a short drive from good eats off the beaten path. The only thing I would say is that I thought it had that a free continental breakfast, but it turned out that the only food they had was from the hotel's restaurant. I didn't know we had to pay until after I had sat down. Nevertheless, the service was excellent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed overnight on a busy Saturday night during River Fest in Ft. Smith. The hotel was beautiful. Rooms were clean and very nice! Hotel staff was courteous and happy to assist if need be. Breakfast was very good also. I would stay there again and recommend to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ACRO_17
Berkeley, California
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is an excellently run and immaculate hotel in the heart of downtown Ft. Smith, a charming town with a great feel. The decor was gorgeous, the rooms spotless, and the pool and hot-tub was a nice bonus after a long day on the road. I was very impressed with the quality of the furnishings in the room and the attention to detail throughout the hotel. I would have loved to have spent more time there but we were only in town for one day. My only minor quibble is that the front desk staff were polite enough, but somewhat glacial; not really the Southern hospitality I would expect. Free wi-fi was also very welcome. I think this is probably your best bet for a hotel in downtown Ft. Smith.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Bonsall, California
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I was going to rate this hotel much lower, but a change in staffing on check out day gave me some hope this place isn't always so unwelcoming. This is the perfect example of how just a few staff members can ruin a guest's impression of the entire hotel.

When we arrived at 1pm the lobby was empty and no one was present at the front desk. I stood there for a few minutes until a woman called out from the restaurant, "Do you need something?", in a very irritated manner. Why else would I be standing at the front desk? When she got close enough so I didn't have to shout back, I nicely told her I have a reservation. At that, she rolled her eyes and started muttering something under her breath about having 95 people check out all at once and she hopes I don't expect to check in yet. I certainly understand that there is no guarantee that rooms will be ready before check-in time (I worked at a hotel front desk), but that was not the way to handle it. I was nice in spite of her attitude and waited while she checked with housekeeping, who ignored her. Not once during all this time did she make eye contact. Eventually she said it would be about 30 minutes. I said fine and that we'd come back later (nicely) and she ignored me.

When we came back two hours later, she said the same thing, "Do you need something?" It was like she'd never seen me before. The place was dead, so it isn't like there was a rush and she couldn't keep track. Anyway, she followed the script, calling me by name, etc., because a manager was standing there. She gave me no info about the hotel or anything else, just, "The elevators are right behind you." When I asked where the best place to park would be she answered, "The front door is right there, suit yourself." OK, fine.

As far as the hotel itself goes, it is beautifully designed and looks very welcoming. The hallways are wide and the rooms are spacious. The decor and lighting in the room is upscale with comfortable beds and nice amenities. We had a refrigerator sitting on the floor, but I don't think they are standard in all of the rooms, which is odd at this price point. The free wireless internet was useless because it kept cutting out. The wired internet did work, but often slowed to a crawl. If you were trying to work it would be impossible.

One major thing I didn't like is that the hotel sets the lowest temperature for the A/C at 72 (or close to that.) It was very humid and hot during our stay and that wasn't low enough to make sleeping comfortable.

The bathroom was large and very clean. I especially appreciated that the shower had good pressure and stayed at the set temperature.

Breakfast is an extra cost. There is a menu and a buffet. The full buffet is $10 and is not worth that , in my opinion. It offered less variety than many free breakfasts at less expensive hotels. It was OK, just not worth paying for. Service the first morning was just OK, but the second morning the servers were very friendly and helpful. The cook came out and made sure any special orders were done correctly. There is also a bar and restaurant that is open for dinner except on Sunday.

The same indifferent front desk clerk was still ignoring guests standing in front of her the second day, but I didn't deal with her myself. Upon check-out, my opinion of the property improved because the manager who checked me out was very pleasant and charming. She needs to retrain the rest of the front desk.

Honestly, if I hadn't had a better experience with the staff on the last day I would never stay here again. As it is I would give it another shot because the room was very nice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank davegidd
nmbowman, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Smith Downtown, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We strive to provide the best service and product that we can to all our guests and I am sorry that we were unable to live up to that goal during your stay. Please be assured that I have addressed your comments with my staff and we will use your feedback to improve our performance in the future. Thank you again!

Nora Bowman