“Very nice hotel”

Courtyard Fort Smith Downtown
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Fort Smith
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed overnight on a busy Saturday night during River Fest in Ft. Smith. The hotel was beautiful. Rooms were clean and very nice! Hotel staff was courteous and happy to assist if need be. Breakfast was very good also. I would stay there again and recommend to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ACRO_17

Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is an excellently run and immaculate hotel in the heart of downtown Ft. Smith, a charming town with a great feel. The decor was gorgeous, the rooms spotless, and the pool and hot-tub was a nice bonus after a long day on the road. I was very impressed with the quality of the furnishings in the room and the attention to detail throughout the hotel. I would have loved to have spent more time there but we were only in town for one day. My only minor quibble is that the front desk staff were polite enough, but somewhat glacial; not really the Southern hospitality I would expect. Free wi-fi was also very welcome. I think this is probably your best bet for a hotel in downtown Ft. Smith.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I was going to rate this hotel much lower, but a change in staffing on check out day gave me some hope this place isn't always so unwelcoming. This is the perfect example of how just a few staff members can ruin a guest's impression of the entire hotel.

When we arrived at 1pm the lobby was empty and no one was present at the front desk. I stood there for a few minutes until a woman called out from the restaurant, "Do you need something?", in a very irritated manner. Why else would I be standing at the front desk? When she got close enough so I didn't have to shout back, I nicely told her I have a reservation. At that, she rolled her eyes and started muttering something under her breath about having 95 people check out all at once and she hopes I don't expect to check in yet. I certainly understand that there is no guarantee that rooms will be ready before check-in time (I worked at a hotel front desk), but that was not the way to handle it. I was nice in spite of her attitude and waited while she checked with housekeeping, who ignored her. Not once during all this time did she make eye contact. Eventually she said it would be about 30 minutes. I said fine and that we'd come back later (nicely) and she ignored me.

When we came back two hours later, she said the same thing, "Do you need something?" It was like she'd never seen me before. The place was dead, so it isn't like there was a rush and she couldn't keep track. Anyway, she followed the script, calling me by name, etc., because a manager was standing there. She gave me no info about the hotel or anything else, just, "The elevators are right behind you." When I asked where the best place to park would be she answered, "The front door is right there, suit yourself." OK, fine.

As far as the hotel itself goes, it is beautifully designed and looks very welcoming. The hallways are wide and the rooms are spacious. The decor and lighting in the room is upscale with comfortable beds and nice amenities. We had a refrigerator sitting on the floor, but I don't think they are standard in all of the rooms, which is odd at this price point. The free wireless internet was useless because it kept cutting out. The wired internet did work, but often slowed to a crawl. If you were trying to work it would be impossible.

One major thing I didn't like is that the hotel sets the lowest temperature for the A/C at 72 (or close to that.) It was very humid and hot during our stay and that wasn't low enough to make sleeping comfortable.

The bathroom was large and very clean. I especially appreciated that the shower had good pressure and stayed at the set temperature.

Breakfast is an extra cost. There is a menu and a buffet. The full buffet is $10 and is not worth that , in my opinion. It offered less variety than many free breakfasts at less expensive hotels. It was OK, just not worth paying for. Service the first morning was just OK, but the second morning the servers were very friendly and helpful. The cook came out and made sure any special orders were done correctly. There is also a bar and restaurant that is open for dinner except on Sunday.

The same indifferent front desk clerk was still ignoring guests standing in front of her the second day, but I didn't deal with her myself. Upon check-out, my opinion of the property improved because the manager who checked me out was very pleasant and charming. She needs to retrain the rest of the front desk.

Honestly, if I hadn't had a better experience with the staff on the last day I would never stay here again. As it is I would give it another shot because the room was very nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davegidd
nmbowman, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Smith Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We strive to provide the best service and product that we can to all our guests and I am sorry that we were unable to live up to that goal during your stay. Please be assured that I have addressed your comments with my staff and we will use your feedback to improve our performance in the future. Thank you again!

Nora Bowman

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Booked here along with other family members for a family reunion. This was a very nice hotel, and I can not think of anything bad to say about it! We had a great time. My husband and I are younger, so we went out to some bars later at night and it was perfect walking distance for all the downtown Ft Smith bars. Great breakfast as well!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mnuttle
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Nice hotel located close to the heart of downtown. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: 4th Floor has refrigerators if you need one.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We traveled to Fort Smith over the weekend of April 14-15 for a basketball tournament. Most of the hotels we researched online were old and expensive. We found this gem last minute the night before traveling and it was a great surprise to all of us. The hotel looks nice on the outside but the inside was very impressive. The decor was fabulous, cleanliness was superb and the entire experience was worth the money. We were very happy with this stay and will be staying there again when we travel back in June for another tournament.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank GoHOGSGo1
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Each year we go in April to the Belle Point sale and always stay at the Marriott because it's newer than the Holiday Inn next door. We have always been happy with our room until now. After speaking with others that were staying there, they were also very upset. The rooms were warm, and the hotel had the setting to where you couldn't change it...it was very warm in Fort Smith over the weekend and we wanted the room to be cool. It wouldn't go below 73 degrees at any time. I called down to the front desk to confirm that this was true and the guy said it was...therefore we will NOT be staying there next year.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business