“National Cemetery”

Fort Smith National Cemetery
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Fort Smith
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This cemetery rivals Arlington in its design. The entire place was immaculate, really pristine with the lawns mowed to perfection and the grave markers laid out in perfect formations. It was easy to drive around the entire cemetery and even stop and look at the gravestones wherever one wanted. It is located just at the edge of town and easily accessible. We toured this cemetery early in the morning when it was still relatively cool and pleasant to walk around. We can be proud of such a meticulously maintained national monument (cemetery). Jim

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We just drove through the Ft. Smith National Cemetery. The grounds were very nicely kept and the history behind the cemetery was interesting, though we learned the most about it from a trolley drive on a ride that we had been on earlier in the day.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

A must see if you go to Van Buren/Fort Smith. Just a great place. It is one of only two National Cemeteries that have graves of both Union and Confederate soldiers.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

As with all National Cemeteries a hushed peacefulness lies over the field.

We owe it to the boys and girls to drop in and remember their sacrifices. Silent reflection will suffice.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I'm hesitant to give a cemetery a rating - it feels wrong to rate a cemetery - but if I'm to make the effort, it clearly gets a 5 star rating. I had never been to a national cemetery before and just wanted to see one. I was unprepared for the emotion I'd feel, as if stepping on sacred ground. When I saw the first stone for the Unknown Soldier, I had to catch my breath, so profound was the emotion. If you've never been to a national cemetery, go. It's a moving experience, and something we should never forget.

1  Thank Seahawkfan12