“Under construction, wait a couple weeks to stay here if you can.”

Residence Inn Fort Smith
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Fort Smith
“Under construction, wait a couple weeks to stay here if you can.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

While the staff has been very friendly and the location is great, this hotel is under construction for the next two weeks- back entrance blocked by several dumpsters, vending and ice machines unplugged, business computer and printer shut down, work crews all over- a bit of a pain, really. I'm sure it will be great when it's all done, but if you can avoid staying here in the immediate future, do so.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
West, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

The angry reviewer being me - this is an update to a previous review that I wrote while exhausted, sleepless, and wheezing. I should know better. It bears mentioning that the reason I was sleepless & wheezing were due to deficiencies at the hotel, but even so that didn't justify an angry review. An honest one? yes. An angry one? no.

We were all miserable, and we still had a lousy night's stay, still took a while to recover, and I'm not in a hurry to go back. But after talking to the manager (Gail), I do believe that this was just a bad night and that guests can count on Marriott service here. While the property isn't the best, management does truly care about their guests, and my 'stain on the brand' comment was uncalled for. I'm sorry about that.

The new carpet/solvent/industrial glue fumes were thick & inescapable - and yes, we should have just slept in the car - but I was exhausted and had already sunk the cash on the room. Most places I've been change out the carpet in phases to avoid this exact situation.

The night clerk was confused and confusing about the rates & rooms available (may have been the fumes). I called the desk to see if we could switch to a different room, different part of the hotel, anything.
me: "what's your best rate on a two-bedroom?"
night clerk: "oh, you know, whatever the one-bedroom rate is, times two"
... wow, really?

After a brief check of the wallet, I figured 'don't care, must sleep' and called back to move rooms - no answer. Several tries and no one was at the desk - which is when I wrote my little review.

The few times I drifted off to sleep I was awakened shortly by either the alarmingly noisy HVAC, or later, a fleet of beeping dumptrucks emptying dumpsters under our window. The fold-out bed, while new, was too uncomfortable to sleep on. The only thing that worked well was the wifi.

Still, for all I know, this could well be the best place to stay in Ft. Smith.

Some nights, the cards are just stacked up against you and you're going to have a bad time. The next morning, Gail did what she could to make it right - the most important to me was that I could see she genuinely cares for her guests.

Room Tip: Day & evening staff are fine, night audit not so much - try to arrive before 9pm.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Good location, nice rooms, nice hotel employees (besides the one lady at the breakfast bar) We rented a one bedroom suite and got an upgrade to a two bedroom suite for free. The hotel has been remodeled, I wouldn't have guessed it was as old as it is without being told. We will stay again if we are ever in Fort Smith. THANK YOU!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MomOf2OKC
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

By far, one of the best that I have stayed in. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast and afternoon snacks were great. The room was great. Overall, far better than most Residence Inns.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Very comfortable night in 2-BR bsuite, 2 of us plus elderly dog. Clean, well-equipped, beds just fine, fireplace and dining area and kitchen great. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed February 2012
Gail K, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Smith, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
We are so glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at our property.

Gail Kilgore
Longmont, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were ready for a nice night at our normally dependable Marriott stopover... little did we know we were in for a restless, uncomfortable night!!

The rooms are all being re-carpeted; this is great, yay for progress, but boy did it stink. The toxicity of the fumes were a problem for delicate lungs and skin alike, and frankly we would have looked elsewhere if we had been told this was going on! Apparently it is noted on their website, so kudos to them for that, but we were on the road and relying on the desk folks to let us know of anything of which we should be aware.

The carpet situation will resolve itself in time, but what won't is the small rooms. Rather than being worth of a 'suite' status, this is a regular sized room with a kitchen crammed in, and a door and wall by the bed. The result is nowhere to put the utility closet except - right in the bedroom, 8 feet from your head. It's loud to an extreme level, and either needs better insulation or some maintenance, because wow.

Then there was the foldout bed, meant to sleep my teenager; the stiff, new couch cushions were more comfortable than the sketchy-looking, thin "mattress" located in the foldout. Were I in charge, I would skip the foldout and get a nice comfy couch instead.

On the plus side, and the thing that saves this from a one-star review, is the fact that the day manager was considerate and understanding when confronted about the issues overnight and waived our room fees (the night manager was less than helpful, quoting us double-price for a larger room - in contrast with the quoted price on the phone - and generally being unsympathetic to our issues).

All in all, if you are a heavy sleeper with one bag, you'll do fine here - but give it a few months to let the fumes die down. And get a valid quote first, because prices may vary apparently!!

Room Tip: You might want to check in first about maintenance, and I would try to get a room on the side *not...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank curegirl0421
Gail K, Manager at Residence Inn Fort Smith, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
I want to apologize once again for the problems encountered due to our renovation and I hope the fact that I waved the charges for your stay offered some compensation for an uncomfortable nights stay. I hope you will give us another opportunity and stay with us in the future.
Gail Kilgore- General Manager
West, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Small, ugly little rooms. Very iffy housekeeping. HVAC sounds like a freight train. So far, the only thing that is satisfactory is the wifi, which is why you're reading this (cheers!).

When we made our resv, we were not told that the entire hotel was having its carpet changed out. I pick Marriott for a lot of reasons, but a big one is the non-smoking, generally lung-friendly atmosphere. Two minutes in the room and we're all wheezing, thanks Marriot!!

I am very loyal to Marriott as a brand, but they owe me after this night's stay - truly awful!! For the price, this is a rip off and a health hazard for anyone with asthma.

No upgrade available, even though the lot is less than 1/3 full. Rates quoted over the phone were not honored, and the only reason I'm still here is because it's too cold in the car.

I've never had a problem at a Residence Inn until now - this place is a stain on the brand.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank 0ceanView
I apologize the hotel was currently in the renovation process and this had an impact on your stay. We were in the process of changing carpet to ensure the hotel is a nice place for our guests. If you do come back to Fort Smith please give me a call so I would love for you to stay with us once renovations are completed. I would personally ensure your stay is wonderful.

Gail Kilgore