“Don't Care About Guests”

Candlewood Suites Fort Smith
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Fort Smith
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Don't Care About Guests”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed in Candlewood Suites Ft. Smith for a business trip this month. When I checked in I asked for a top floor room, or a quiet room because I was working nights. They could not accomodate because they said they were full, and many of the guests had been there since December. I was put next to a room that had children who bounced off the walls, rearranged furniture, and screamed for hours on end. When they left, houskeeping bounced the furniture off the walls putting it back.

When I made a comment about it to the Manager (said so on his black shirt) and his assistant after they knocked on my door at 9:30 am to make sure I was checking out and I told them I was dissatisfied and would not stay in their hotel again, I was calmly told "that's fine" there are many other hotels in the area.

I couldn't believe my ears! After that I told them I was Platinum member, and then I got a change of tune for the manager and told sorry about the issues, but that "there are also other platinum members staying here too"

Are you kidding? I will NEVER EVER stay at this property again. It is obvious they think the money will roll in forever,and they don't care about their guests!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank PersonOFone
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Fort Smith, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear PersonOFone,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Fort Smith.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

I spent more money on this room than I normally do, so I could have a great night's sleep in comfort. Well, that did not happen. First, the walls are so thin that you can hear the guests in the room above you when they take a shower or bath. This grew quite annoying when I was woken up at 1:00 a.m. with someone in the room above me taking a shower. The first time that night I was woken up was at midnight when a group of drunk men who could not speak English came into the lobby yelling and talking very loud. I waited for the person at the front desk to get the situation under control. After about 15 minutes when the men were still yelling, I had to go outside my room myself to ask them to be quiet. One of the drunk men held up his hands as if boxing, and asked me if I wanted to fight! I replied that I just wanted to sleep. They finally went to their room. I could not believe security was not called after I was threatened! I know this is not a situation where the hotel had control over the drunk men, but the situation could have been handled quicker and without a guest having to take care of it.

Then, at 3:15 a.m., I was woken up again when my invoice was thrown under my door. Of course, my dogs and myself woke up. With a total of a $45 pet fee, $15 per pet, it seems to me the hotel staff would have enough common sense to know that if you throw something under the door at 3 in the morning, the dogs are going to wake up and bark! When I went to the front desk to complain, there was nobody there, since he was out delivering invoices. I finally found him and asked what he was thinking since the hotel knew I had my dogs with me. He told me that I should have been given a magnet to put on my door to alert them I had dogs. I was never given a magnet, but it seems that he could read on my invoice where I had paid for my dogs! When I asked the front desk about this situation the next morning, I was told that even with the magnet, the invoice would have still been shoved under my door. Apparently, it is a policy of Candlewood Suites to shove your invoice under your door in the middle of the night! I paid for a room until 11:00 the next morning. I felt this practice to be extremely rude, as if they are trying to get you to leave early. What if I made phone calls or had other charges to my room the next morning? Their excuse was that some people want express check out, so that's why they do this. I have an idea! What about asking the paying customer if they want express check out? What a concept, asking the customer whether they want to be woken up at 3 in the morning so they don't have to spend 10 minutes at the front desk in the morning!

Since I had not had any sleep, I finally decided to make coffee that morning. The coffee pot broke so I went to the front desk to tell them what happened. The maintenance manager was there and told me it would be awhile before he could get me another one, because he would have to walk upstairs to get it! I heard him asking a co-worker if they wanted a sausage biscuit or something else, so I assume this was much more important than getting me another coffee pot!

When I was leaving my room that morning and talking about how tired I was, the guests in the room next to me were leaving and overheard me. They said, "Oh, you didn't get any sleep either?" I said no, what happened with your sleep? They told me that the people in the halls all night kept them awake and the people above them were taking showers in the middle of the night, which woke them up, because it sounds like the water is coming down the walls in your room. When I spoke to the manager about this, she told me, it wasn't their fault because they didn't build the hotel! That's true, however, guests are paying more money for high quality which includes well built and well insulated walls! If I wanted thin walls, I would pay for a lesser quality hotel!

So, after asking the manager for some type of room adjustment, for all the disruptions during the night, which led to absolutely no sleep, I was given $9 off my $120 room rate! Now, that's what I call customer care! I hope that whopping $9 discount helped the bottom line of the Fort Smith Candlewood Suites, or the Candlewood Suites franchise for that matter, because they will never seen another $1 from me!

The next night I stayed at a Best Western for 1/2 the price and slept all night. Even though the rooms next to me and above me were occupied, I did not hear ANY noise from the other guest rooms!

Room Tip: It really doesn't matter what your room choice is, because I called first thing in the morning a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank JillMJackson
TEXAS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

Booked two rooms at the Candlewood Suites off of Madison in Fort Smith Arkansas for one night due to a death in the family. The property was easy to get to, very clean and efficient. Front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful during our stay and even expressed their condolensces for our family's loss. The facility appears rather new, with nice room sizes, full size fridge and a two burner stove top, sink, dishes, dishwasher, and microwave for extended stay purposes and a flat screen tv. I needed another firmer pillow and they provided me one at the front desk. Since I am a priority rewards member I also got comped two free drinks/snacks of my choice from their snack room and the prices for items was extremely reasonable (Cola's $1.00, etc) Air conditioning worked fine and the room, even for the first floor which I do not normally stay on a 1st floor, was quiet. Would defintely stay at again. Did not use pool or work out facilities while there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Liberty, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 2 days while taking care of family business. The hotel is fairly new and very clean. The front desk staff was friendly and ready to help with anything we needed. Our room had a kitchen area, so we were able to make our own breakfast, which was good. Also this hotel is located close to shopping areas, which was very handy. Definitely a good bargain as far as price was concerned. The only downfall was the first night of our stay was a bit noisy, as our room was close to the back entrance and the entry system was loud, and the door seemed to slam closed every time someone entered or left the building. Otherwise quiet and comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

We recently spent 2 ngts. here while visiting family in the area. Hotel is in a great location with lots of restaurant choices nearby and would be a great location if you needed to be close to the hospital or airport. Rooms were spacious and very clean and hallways always smelled fresh. The coffee was great for morning wakeup or an afternoon pick-me-up. Staff was super friendly and always asking if we needed anything. This hotel is a great value and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
McAlester, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

This the 2nd best hotel I have stayed in. That is saying something I travel alot. It was VERY clean,quiet,friendly and comfortable. Nice gym and great outside pool and grill area. HIGHLY recommend!!! Also room has stove,fridge and microwave. in it so you could cook there to save money if budget is tight. Price was right also!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Fort Smith, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I could not asked for friendlier people and so helpful. Every thing I needed was taken care of. I would recommend this hotel for one night stays or weeks. Very spacious and clean. Free internet in your room and a community computer and printer downstairs. Free laundry,coffee and they will even help you mail out packages if needed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family