“Awe inspiring”

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Awe inspiring”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Walking through the cemetery and reading the gravestones may not sound exciting, but believe me, it will entrance you. Look for the gravestone of the WWII bomber crew and the special section of Confederate war dead.

Visited July 2013

Lyons
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A serene place”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Everyone needs to visit a national cemetery. This was the first one established and it is a gem. It is a very solemn moving place.

Visited July 2013
Benicia, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Worth a stop”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Very nice and well kept National Cemetery, well worth a stop. Many gravestones from the 1850's and Civil War up to Iraq War soldiers, take a walk among our heros and say a prayer and a thank you for all those that gave their lives to protect us. There is so much history when you walk the grounds, you just feel it. The groundskeepers are great and will direct you to the oldest gravestones or the Native American Indians gravestones.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank socalalan1
Webb City, Missouri
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Well kept”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

As a retired soldier, we have chosen this National Cemetery as our place to be buried. My wife and I just happened to visit the cemetery while visiting Fort Scott and were impressed with the grounds. We immediately chose it for where we wanted to be buried.

1 Thank Ozarkamerican41
Parsons, Kansas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Happy ghosts abound ... A place where history restfully resides.”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Being a native of Fort Scott, this cemetery is definitely No. 1 in my childhood recollections, and in family lore. Although I never actually heard a ghost story about it, I am confident any spirits in residence there are happy with their surroundings and companions .... heroes every one! My dad enjoyed telling about finding arrowheads and other small artifacts along the east and north walls of the cemetery when he was an adventurous youth. He delighted in telling about two Native American soldiers buried side-by-side therein. One was named Stick-out-belly and the other was "Wipe-off.". A tasteless joke, to be sure, but a popular one among local young fellows in the 1920s. (History seems to have a seamy side, too.) Actually, Stick-out-belly IS taking his everlasting sleep in Ft. Scott National Cemetery No. 1, but his nearby companion is named Deer-in-water, a much more pleasing designation. Their graves can be found in the northwest quarter of the cemetery, a few rows from the entrance. My uncle and a number of my high school friends who faithfully served our country are taking their eternal rest beneath the evergreen branches they probably strolled under in their childhood, keeping a watchful eye out for arrowheads in case their dads might have missed one. This is a beautiful cemetery, with many stories of historical importance and heroism attaching to it. I seldom visit Ft. Scott without taking a drive through the cemetery, to enjoy its serene beauty and re-experience the wonder it invoked in me during my growing-up years. You will be struck by its age and purpose, and the spirits of the proud soldiers from every war resting in the pristine peace of this very special place. You won't be sorry you took a few minutes of your own life to pay your respects to the soul and spirit of our nation in its National Cemetery No. 1. There are lessons here for all to learn and cherish. A note ... Dolly the Trolley (an informative fun ride..boards downtown a block east of the Fort) does pass through the grounds, but there is no stop for you to explore. So, do both.

Visited October 2012