“Just right!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Civil War Walking Tour of Savannah
Ranked #59 of 140 Tours in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: The Savannah Walks is located at 35 Barnard Street in the Landmark Building. Our hours of operation are 10:00am-9:30pm 7 days a week. We are the oldest walking tour company of our kind in Savannah and we have over 21 years experience in giving historically accurate and entertaining tours to educated travelers.
North Carolina
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Just right!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We took two Savannah Walk tours. In January, it's goimg to be a different experience. One walk was in slightly overcast weather and it was great. The other was in rain and it was still great!

Our guide was Phil, he was fun, funny, and knowledgable. A Savannah native, Phil has studied and learned his city. We took the Civil War tour and the Midnight Tour. Neither was what we expected, they were better!!

'Turns out what we expected isn't the real history--we northerners don't know as much as we think we do about the south! It was a great learning experience--fascinating and fun.

The Midnight Tour focused on sites relating to the book (and movie) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. It's been several years since I read the book and it came back to life for me. My husband had not read the book and can't wait to read it now. The walk was beautiful (even if wet) and the stories and Phil's real-life contact with the places and people was a delight.

I so totally recommend these two tours (and probably the other ones!) Have fun -- and get in some healthy walking. Savannah is a little bohemian with all the students and yet truly a southern city -- more different than Charleston than I expected.

Visited January 2013

Washington, DC
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“great guide...wish I could remember his name!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I was solo on the tour so it was like a private tour! He was excellent...highly recommend it if you only have 90 minutes and like to walk and talk!

Visited December 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Savannah Walks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I and my wife took a walking tour after Thanksgiving with Bill Thomson on historic Savannah.

Bill did a great job of making an interesting tour with lots of details, which he tied together as the walk progressed. Although the walk was a couple hours, I'm sure the Bill could have gone all day, as his command of the local history is deep.

I would definitely do another walking tour with the company.

Visited November 2012
San Francisco, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“THE BEST”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

We spent a full day in Savannah, and we were lucky to select Savannah Walks and even luckier to get Michael as our 'Savannah Stroll' guide. Informative, pleasant, easy to listen to, tolerant of our stupid questions, and tireless in his approach... Yes, I would recommend Savannah Walks for covering a beautiful city and it's interesting history.

Visited December 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Civil War Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We opted for the Civil War walking tour with Savannah Walks. Our guide (Kelse? Not sure how to spell his name) was great. I don't even have a great interest in the Civil war, but he made the 2 hours very interesting! I wish we'd had time to book another tour during our quick visit to Savannah.

Visited November 2012