“Still updating...I hope”

Ranked #102 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Still updating...I hope”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

It is obvious that this hotel is in the process of updating everything. Some things are brand-new where others are not so good. Someone said the smell of bleach in the lobby was to mask the mold? Ummmm the swimming pool is indoors and only 20ft from the front desk so I do believe THAT was the chlorine smell :)
My biggest tip to the management....Make all your rooms non-smoking or just a few & ONLY on the far end of the hotel so they are away from the other guests. AND have a designated "smoking" area (not right outside their doors) It was horrible to walk from our room to the parking lot with everyone standing outside their doors to smoke & then the ones on the 2nd floor flicking their butts off the railing into your very beautiful courtyard. Clean all the walls very good (I recommend Odoban - this takes away all the smoke smell guaranteed!)
The bad:
Our 'non-smoking' room reeked of smoke. I was VERY afraid to sit in the chair (rm 135) because of the stains that were on it. I could tell quite a few of the people staying there were a little on the 'unsavory' side (I took off my jewelry & left it in the safe) - the TVs need a good updating but they work ok - too many kids allowed in the game room/pool/breakfast area without their parents (I would have booted the little s*#ts back to their rooms) - Move your vending machines to the lobby or where they are not at risk of being vandalized (and fix them please) I had a chocolate craving & couldn't find a Snickers bar to save my damn life at 11pm LOL
The good:
Very friendly staff - Cheap!! - Comfortable, clean beds - indoor pool/spa (needs a better filter)...and to the guy who complained about the chemicals...I would rather have them strong than have that water be a breeding ground for who-knows-what! - There's a game room with Centipede! PacMan! & Air Hockey!! - While in the pool I saw, who I assumed to be the owner/manager(dress shirt & slacks), constantly walking around *at 10pm!* checking doors & watching everything - very nice man & he has the most adorable dog up in his room too so you know its pet friendly! - the bar was great...small...karaoke/dj....4 lg flat screens...pool table...keno - walking distance to Applebee's & Ruby Tuesday's as well as 4-6 gas stations - OK breakfast...cereal, waffles, donuts, muffins, juice & coffee (not kept very clean since the 1 front desk girl had to check in/out and keep an eye on the breakfast area at the same time and there were some terrorist little heathens playing in the food without parental supervision!) - beautiful exterior (if the inside ends up as nice, I'll stay here again)
Oh...and the chick who was scared by the giant 'cockroach' in her room...ummmm welcome to South Georgia...if you think that's bad, just wait until you see what we have waiting for you in Florida! ;) You probably crapped yourself when you saw the Anoles (cute little lizards who are EVERYWHERE) and the Palmetto bugs...LOL Come back & see us again! :)
I live in Florida & work in Savannah so I stay here 2-3 times a month & try different places all the time....this wasn't the best, but it was FAR from the worst.
Thank you & I look forward to seeing what you do with the place!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite & pay a little more for it ;)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I stayed for two nights and everything was great from the room to the breakfast. The new bar in the hotel and the pool & hot tub area was a nice way to relax. Room was clean and staff was very helpful

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Leicester
Reviewed June 16, 2012

This hotel is in need of a good clean.
The carpets in the room were filthy, at least the beds were clean.
The whirlpool bath made up a little, but the place needs a bit of tlc.
pool area looked ok but the water did not.
Rates were cheap and we got what we paid for.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at Days Inn. Our apartment flooded recently and we needed a place that was not too expensive. We had to stay there for 4 days. When we arrived everyone greeted us with a smile and asked to help with our bags. We got to our room and it was nice and cozy. Everything we needed was there and when we needed extra towels we got them. We decided to check out the pool and other amenities. After the pool, we walked over to the bar/lounge area it was a blast. We sang karaoke and had a ball... that night we slept so well because the bed was big and comfortable. The air conditioner worked wonders because I love to sleep with it on high. Ha-ha. They really made us forget all about our apartment. I recommend this to everyone. If you like nice, cozy and affordable then stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
pooler, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Me and my family stayed in suite room in march 2012 for 2 days..It was awesome stay..Very cooperative staff..Indoor pool was very much fun as part of the stay..Breakfast in the morning was excellent..Cleaneliness and maintenence of motel is wonderful..I highly recommend this motel..

Room Tip: rooms by the pool area are awesome experience..
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have stayed here several times as I pass through Savannah. All the staff is nice and accommodating. The room was comfortable and clean. The new bar in the hotel "Luckys" was a nice way to relax before going to bed and the complimentary breakfast was a nice way to start the day.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2012

this place was bad the room smelled there was mold and mildew the room smelled from the air conditioner the staff was ok little luckys was a great place to sit and relax and have a drink great staff there the maintance was a joke dont go there if u do its at your own risk

Room Tip: none of the rooms are worth staying in the whole place needs to be up lifted inside
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
gmgateway, Manager at Days Inn & Suites Savannah Gateway/I-95 and 204, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
“dont stay there”

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Michelle front desk manager - Sorry for the inconvience we do apologize, We took action to improve our rooms we did change carpets in all rooms we are doing renovations with hotel, We hope to see you next time and we promise to make your stay better then your expectations. Thank you very much for your review about us.