“The best!”

Residence Inn Savannah Midtown
Ranked #57 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed July 1, 2012

First of all let me start by saying I travel a lot, both business and pleasure, so this is not my first rodeo as they say :-) I first wrote a good review but when I sent it I noticed a negative very long review so I wanted to elaborate a bit more on our stay at this hotel.
Yes the front door was locked when we wanted to check in (came in after 9pm) There was a young (very sweet) women working the desk...Alone! I say good for the manager to take extra precaution for safety, for both his employee's and his guests. We didn't have a problem getting buzzed in and I for one appreciate this extra safety measure. As far as the location, it was Mid-town so actually a very good location to stay at. Lots of other hotels around and close to main roads, huge mall and lots of shopping...across the street was a large school or college, I didn't feel unsafe at all.
His comment on the hamburgers for dinner, nowhere did I read that there was a complementary "dinner" but what they offer is a social with complementary food and drinks of beer and wine. I wouldn't expect to get a picture of beer or a carafe of wine at any hotel that provide this service, most hotels just give you one small glass (I'm a wine drinker) then you have to go up each time for another one to be poured for you....with the tip jar in plain view each time. At this hotel you poured your own, and yes no tip jar was to be found (I found that refreshing) yet there was someone from staff there cleaning up and replenishing food and supplies. Of course you should tip, but I noticed some people didn't and they were treated no less than those of us who do.
I found breakfast to be very good with all that you would need to start your day off right. My husband sleeps in so I enjoyed going down being greeted and feeling very comfortable by myself.
But the most important thing about this hotel that stands out to me is the Service!! The Manager Carlos Soto leads by example, EVERYONE I came in contact with at this hotel exceeded my expectations on what a hotel staff should provide in the line of service. Above and beyond! When I came down for breakfast every morning Carlos would come out of his office to greet me by name, the front desk employee's all greeted me every time I walked by. Any employee I would see in a hall, or common area would always smile and greet, making comments like "how are you today" is everything okay, do you need anything" it was just amazing to me to see such a happy, attentive staff who all seemed to enjoy their jobs. What an excellent manager Carlos must be to have such a top notch crew under him. He and his staff deserve a Service award from Marriott or some sort of recognition. Really this was the best service all around that I have ever witnessed.
The rooms were clean, (and I'm very fussy) and well decorated, when we checked in the girl said she was putting us on street side but if we found it too noisy (nothing else available at that time) we could switch the next day since we were staying 5 days. We live on the ocean so the street noise didn't bother us at all, yet the next morning I got a call from the morning desk clerk asking if we were happy with the room and if not would like to move. The night clerk made a note for her to call and make sure we were comfortable....is that not service or what?!
Sorry this is such a long review but when I read the negative one I felt the need to share my
experience with the Residence Inn Midtown Savannah. With my job I covered Montana-Washington-Western Idaho and Alaska....I have stayed at my share of Hotels, this by far really was the best "overall" service for the star rating.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Oh my goodness!!!! Thank you Mary for such a wonderful review. We really enjoyed you guys staying with us. Sandra, Willie, and everyone else says hi. If you ever in the area again we hope to see you back!

Carlos

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Savannah Midtown

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Driving up to the hotel, you'll automatically notice that it is in a less than ideal location. There are gold buyers. pawn shops and run down buildings on the next street over. This becomes more apparent when you try to get in the door after eight pm and notice it's locked already.

The first room I was put in was on the 2nd floor. I had to walk from the front desk, down a long hall to the elevator, then down two other long halls just to get all my bags to the room. The building isn't laid out very well. The room seemed decent enough, though a bit outdated. The dishes looked dusty and I couldn't find the trash cans right away until I looked under the cabinets toward the back. There is one switch that turns on both the shower light and the vent fan which I found very annoying as it was a bit loud.

I went back down for the "social" that night. They were serving packaged hamburgers and canned beans. There was a keg of Bud Light on tap, so I grabbed a cup of that and sat down to eat my hamburger (no cheese available) with a coworker. I noticed some of the other residents with a pitcher of beer and walked over to ask the attendant if I could get pitcher. Her reply was "Oh, yeah, no... they're my regulars." I grabbed two more cups, filled them and walked up to the room. After finishing those I wanted one more so walked down to the lobby again. My coworker was still there and mentioned he overheard the attendant talking to the receptionist about not giving me a pitcher. She told the receptionist "Oh I aint givin him a pitcher. Them other guys tipped me." This was my first night there. There's no "tip jar" and she wasn't even in the room most of the time I was eating my "complimentary" dinner. I was also booked for 17 days so would have become a "regular". Terrible service.

I went back to the room, unpacked my laptop and started plugging it in. They do have wired connections, but the wire's connector was broken so I had to use one of my own cables. I logged into one of my computer games and noticed my ping rate was 999ms. I did a speed test and the download speed to a Miami server was .49mb with an upload of .29mb... that is horrid. I figured it was peak times as it was around 9pm so I figured I'd retry in the morning.

The first night I didn't sleep well at all due to the road noise. There was a busy 4 lane road just outside my room's window. I felt like I was sleeping in a tent on the side of the highway, it was so loud.

The next morning I got moved to the room across the hall to lessen the noise. I unpacked the laptop again and started to plug it in. Again, the wire was broken for the internet connection. I pulled out my cable and crawled under the table. None of the internet connections were plugged in and the power adapter for the dsl box wasn't even plugged in. I connected all of this up myself and did a speed test at 8am. The download speed was still .52mb and the upload was at .29mb.... the ping was better at 200ms, but not good enough to be considered "high speed". Terrible internet connectivity. Both rooms the wireless was only at 2-3 signal bars.

I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank stephen f
Carlos S, General Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Dear Stephen,

I'm embarrassed and extremely disappointed in the service you recieved. As you can see from most reviews since 2011 this is not the level of service this hotel is known for. Thank you for stopping by to talk with me today (6/2) and I can asssure you this is an isolated incident. You can expect this will be resolved. We welcome you to return to our hotel and receive the southern hospitality Savannah is known for and the exceptional customer service Marriott reputation is built on.

Carlos S

Reviewed May 25, 2012

I am a platinum elite member and they met my high expectations. staff was excellent and Hotel was immaculate in cleanness and service.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 21, 2012

This newly built hotel is beautiful, serves a good FREE breakfast and is within walking distance to ALL the local sites in the city. If you do not feel like walking, there is even a FREE bus that picks up and drops off right in front of the hotel. We had a really good time and really loved the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a cottage.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We stayed in the 1 bedroom suite for 3 nights. Our room was very clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. Great staff, beds are not like a Westin but were very comfortable. They let us check in at 12 noon-4 hours earlier which was very nice. Food the standard breakfast-fresh fruit, waffles,eggs etc.Nice staff. The area had upscale shops, a Fresh Market. It is near an army base and lots of other hotels-right next door to a Homewood Suites. Great stay, would definately recommend.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite for 3 nights. Our room was very clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. The only problems I found with the room itself were that the beds are somewhat too soft and my back started to bother me near the end of the stay. Also the room was on the first floor and you could easily hear the footsteps and floor noise from the floor above. The location of the hotel is good, being close to many good restaurants, and only about 10 minutes drive to Historic Savannah tour buses. The hotel does seem a bit too close to some higher crime areas however, and there was a shooting very close to the hotel on the first night we stayed. The area immediate to the hotel though does appear safe so I would recommend any excursions at night to be directed to the south and west of the hotel. The little courtyard with the gas firepit was a nice touch, and my wife and I spent a pleasant hour reading and enjoying the fire. The pool is great for a family with young ones, as its not built deep enough for adults (only 5 feet at its deepest end), but I wouldn't bother with the whirlpool area. The jets don't seem to work properly and the water was fairly tepid. Maybe I missed it, but they could use a changing area next to the pool with bathing suit ringers as I had to carry soaking wet trunks to my room to dry. I would definitely recommend going out to eat, as the cafe area is terribly small and therefore as is the food selection. It would be silly to eat at the hotel anyway with so many good eateries in the area!

All in all, a reasonable stay for visitors to the area but could use some simple improvements to stand out in a crowded tourist environment.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors may have less noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TnTraveler1968
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We love to stay at the Residence Inn when traveling with our kids, usually very comfy, free breakfast, free parking, and we can all spread out - we get the two room suite.

This location was our first disappointment. It is quite a drive from the center of all the action in Savannah, which wasn't a big deal until we got caught in a rainy down pour after dinner. Spend a little more and stay in Historic downtown, you'll be able to get around without needing to drive.

We requested extra towels and a blanket and the front desk told us to turn up the heat instead. When I mentioned how wet we were and asked for an extra blanket, he asked me where we were from because down in the south they just turn up the heat. Why we were having this silly conversation, I didn't know... I gave up and went to our room. Later, someone brought us scratchy blankets & sheets. We were greatful. Food in the morning was really bad, but not their fault, it just wasn't very fresh or healthy, actually it was similar to old hospital cafeteria food. This hotel is on a busy street close to a sketchy neighborhood. In general, it felt like we were staying in Savannah's Ghetto where argumentative people worked. The swimming pool is in the very front of the hotel next to the door. We had no intention of swimming, but we could see over weight old men jumping into the pool and so could our kids during check in and check out.

Room Tip: If you like the Ghetto, this is a great deal.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family