“Beautiful hotel, very friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Savannah Midtown

SpringHill Suites Savannah Midtown
Ranked #84 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Beautiful hotel, very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I are seniors and highschool and we stopped in savannah for a night on our way home from florida. The first hotel we tried to stay at wouldnt let us check in because we were under 21. The Springhill suites however let us check in and they were cheaper. Our room was spacious with nice furniture and layout. I think the room was designed well in the given space. Any time we saw a staff member they were very friendly. They had computers in the lobby with a printer, a big sitting area with tvs and decent breakfast spread. We would definetly stay here again.

1 Thank Kati1229

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I went to Savannah, Georgia for a weekend getaway. He booked Springhill Suites Savannah Midtown for our second night’s stay on priceline.com and got a great deal.

What can I say about our unfortunately brief stay in this hotel suite except we loved it! Our room was comfortable and cozy – the way a romantic retreat should be. The bed was cushiony and made for a restful night’s sleep. The sink was separate from the shower area, which allowed us to get ready at the same time in the morning.

The staff was nice, but what was even more welcoming was how polite and friendly the other guests were.

The hotel is in good proximity to I-95, the Riverfront, and other tourist attractions without being in the hustle and bustle of downtown Savannah.

The breakfast buffet area is quite expansive enabling a modest crowd to maneuver in and out of line. It was one of the best we have had – bananas, apples, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, waffles, cold cereal, coffee cakes, bagels, English muffins, juice, coffee, tea, and milk. We were thoroughly satisfied with the selection.

We are definitely keeping this hotel on our radar for our next visit to Savannah.

USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in 7 hotels in 7 days. This was the worst. While the rooms were big for the 5 of us, they were quite dirty. Dust accumulated in every corner. Bathrooms only received a quick washover with plenty of previous occupant hairs everywhere. We only need a place to rest overnight before visiting the historic district, so that would be fine except our kids did want to use the pool. That is when things got a bit gross. There were about 10 young pre-teens and teens in the hot tub, all being a bit too cozy and poorly supervised. They eventually left. Of course my kids wanted to go in too but the water was visibly yellow with human debris floating around. I don't get grossed out easily, but it was pretty bad. The main pool was ok, but was really crowded with poorly behaved kids and again, no adult supervision. Not totally the hotels fault, but staff should monitor it as the front desk is nearly in direct view of this area.

Breakfast was ok, nothing special but the lobby was super crowded and tables not cleared quick enough.

Clearly this location gets a really high volume being near the main roads. It is near several chain restaurants and shopping centers which is convenient. BUT the main gripe is that it claims to be in Midtown. It is not even close! This is really Southside. It is definitely better to stay outside the Historic District to save money. Parking in the Historic District is no problem if you go early in the morning. Public lots are only $1 or less per hour. But I can't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by elevators
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank gh465
SAVSH, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear GH465,

We are glad that you stayed with us! I can assure you our rooms are inspected each day and if you had issues with the room we certainly wish you would have reported them so we could take steps to address the issue for you. In regards to the pool and spa use, we did speak with the groups contact several times to help keep the group under control. The pool is on a constant recycling of the water and continuously feeds the appropriate chemicals into it to keep it sanitary. The pool and Spa has an automated system the cleans and filters the water on a continual basis, The hotel is named Midtown due to it being mid-point between Interstate 95 and the historic district. I do hope you would consider us again when in the area and do thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We do wish you safe travels.

Mount Sterling, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

When we checked into our room, it was next door to the elevator and vending/ pop machine - very noisy. We asked for a different room. It took about 1/2 hr but the manager gave us a different room. The room was clean and the staff was courteous and friendly; breakfast included eggs, sausage, bacon, gravy, pancakes and the usual breads and pastries. The cinnamon rolls were delicious. Will be back next year.

• Stayed April 2013
Myrtle Beach, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have never stayed in a Springhill Suites before, but am here for a conference and did not choose the hotel. I am sitting in the room for a second night in a row and it has to be the loudest hotel I've ever visited. There is a lot of running and yelling down the halls. Okay. Teenagers will be teenagers. Maybe a fluke. That was last night. It's the same thing tonight. Running up and down the halls yelling, horseplay, etc...

The floors and walls are amazingly thin. I have been hearing stomping above my head for several hours now. Same as last night. The walls and floors are so thin that I was a bit nervous about using the hair dryer at 6am. I figured my neighbors could hear and it would disturb them. I have thought of checking out, but everyone knows that checking out for one night is a travel nightmare.

I don't mind the renovations and can appreciate that they are making improvements. The curtains are not clean and there was black stuff all over my bed. I don't know what it was. I thought cig ashes, but it was crumbly. Otherwise, the room and halls seemed clean.

Breakfast was fine and typical for this type of hotel: Make your own waffles, yogurt, bagels, a hot item, etc....

All staff members have been very friendly.

Though the room is spacious, I think I would not stay here again (at least not in this particular one) due to the constant noise that can't even be drowned out with the TV.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SAVSH, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Queenofstarwars,

We are glad that your interaction with our staff was positive. I am sorry to hear of the noise issues, we did have a good size group of youth at the hotel but if you had reported the issue we could have certainly spoken with the group contact to get the noise to a more acceptable level. I hope your stay was good other than the things mentioned and hope you would stay with us again if in the area. Safe travels to you!

Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

First of all let me state: This is a first hand account. I stayed here and all the information I am reporting is not hearsay. This review is in accordance with TripAdvisor guidelines.

Well, this USED to be one of my favorite places to stay in Savannah. Midtown location. The convenience allowed me to overlook the fact that this place looks like a throwback to the Holiday Inn's of the 1970's. Archie Bunker would be at home here.
7:30AM get a phone call. Our car was one of 20 cars broken into according to Savannah Police Department. Out we go in the 47 degree weather. Other patrons wandering around like zombies, dazed. Our driver window was totally smashed in. Missing was our 38 Special of course. Scumbags stole many items from the cars. 9 cars broken into at this hotel, with remainder at two adjoining hotels and apartment complex.
At NO time was an employee or manager in the parking lot while we were there. No one helping sweep glass out of cars. No one apologizing. No one recommending glass repair services. Had that been ME I would have had hot cups of coffee, blankets, whatever it took to preserve the Marriott name. This incident alone was enough for me to swear off ever staying at another Marriott property. As we checked out, I told them not to charge me for the room for the nothing they did. They charged me of course. I called Marriott and ripped them a new one. Got email from manger (that was copied to Marriott) saying how they were helping vacuum, had glass repair recommendations, etc and here, have 5,000 Marriott rewards points. HA. Like I'd ever use those again.
The manager sent another letter saying that these things occurred AFTER we left. Feel free to contact the hotel for this version of the story as I am told by TripAdvisor that I am not allowed to pass along information that is not firsthand. Now. Here is a DIRECT QUOTE from the manager's letter to me: "In regards to cameras, we have them on the interior entrance doors and the front desk but not on the parking lots." Again, you can verify this with the hotel as I must be careful to report this accurately as TripAdvisor has sent this BACK to me for editing. I still can't figure out what didn't pass muster in my original post.

I caution you. Savannah is a large metropolitan city. Make sure your hotel has adequate surveillance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
SAVSH, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Cognac62,

I would like to thank you for sharing your comments. I can assure you we take all reviews and use them as a tool for improvement. We will certainly take any and all comments in your review under consideration. I can understand that anyone would be upset due to the loss of personal belongings, I do see however that over a period of almost two years you stayed with us numerous times and wrote four complimentary and positive reviews. I hope this one instance will not cloud a consistent stay history of that period. We do thank you for staying with us and again thank you for your comments. We wish you safe travels.

warm regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

When i arrived and checked in the young lady was very friendly. When i got my room it was freezing cold. i checked the bathroom and it was very nasty, i wouldnt wash my dog in the tub. The sheeets were stained. The walls had spots on them. The room smelled off mold.The carpet need cleaning. Everything about the hotel was out dated which is not normal for a Marriott property. I called the front desk to see if i could move to another room the young lady apologized and said there wasnt another room available. When i checked out I informed the guest service manager about the room and she proceed to yell at me about how old the hotel is. I was very apalled and didnt apprieciate the way she was speaking to me and her tone of voice.I told her it would be nice if i could speak to someone else because she was very rude.She goes on to say their is no one for me to speak with but her and that she would like it if i would leave the property while using foul language. I gladly left and never will i come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel if you can.
1 Thank TiffanyB792
SAVSH, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear TiffanyB,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We leave the air set in all rooms at 72 F and that is to maintain rooms at a controllable temperature for guest that are arriving. We are an older SpringHill Suites and are in line to be renovated the latter part of this year. In regards to the Guest Service Manager I have always observed her to be nothing less than professional. The front desk is on a video camera and I will review past dates and see if I can observe anything other than that. I can assure you that we will follow up on your issues mentioned and use them to improve for the future. We wish you safe travels.