“Cant wait to go back”

SpringHill Suites Savannah Midtown
Ranked #77 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Hotel was in a nice area, although it was very clean i feel like the rooms were small for the price, but everything else made up for that. Staff was very nice and attentive. The hotel had a full complimentary breakfast each morning. The lady who tended the breakfast buffet was awesome. I felt like i was at my mothers house. She was a sweet heart. She had the best spirit about her. I had to go back to the kitchen before we left to give her a hug and tell her she was the cherry on top for the hotel. Hotel was located in a very nice area, every eating place that you can imagine from burgers to sushi. 2 nice malls, outlet stores,movie theatre, skating rinks, entertainment for kids,adult entertainment etc. we were only about 20 mins from Tybee Island. I looooove tybee island. Good family oriented beach, not a party beach.
We can not wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed here because I love the Marriot chain and it's location outside of downtown Savannah makes it cheaper than staying downtown. We had no problems whatsoever with anything at this hotel. We checked in late at night and had no problems with that. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly. The morning breakfast was fine as well. I'm not sure what people expect when they stay at a Springhill Suites - it's not the Ritz so it shouldn't be compared with one. Next time we come to Savannah, we're definitely staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We just stayed here June 29 -July 1, 2012. It was ok but not what I expected. It seems the rooms need to be updated from what I've seen in other hotels by the same name.
I called the Marriott customer complaint number first thing Monday morning and was told to call the hotel and talk with the manager. I left Monday going out of town again and just got back today to the same issue I left with on Monday. Details below:

First off, they have this ridiculous policy about payments. I personally don't like hotels or any companies for that matter having access to my credit cards or debit card. I "attempted" to pay cash once I arrived but I was told that if I pay cash I would have to leave an EXTRA $100 with them. For what ? "Incidentals" I was told. Incidentals??? There's nothing in the rooms to buy, who doesn't have a cell phone now days to make calls, and I definitely don't want anything out of those rooms. The towels smelled like some cheap detergent. GIve me a break.
And here's the most ridiculous part, they don't give you the money back when you check out, they mail you a check. You got to be kidding me. So needless to say, I was NOT going to give them extra money to mail me back at their leisure. And furthermore, it's not as if they do a walk through with you when you check out so as far as I'm concerned, they could charge you for something after you are long gone.
So I unwilling gave the girl my credit card and told her that I would still pay cash when we leave. I was told that she would put it on my account but wouldn't charge anything on it.
Saturday morning, we woke up to water running in the bathroom. I got up because it sounded like the shower was on, but it was water coming from the fire sprinkler above the tub. We didn't know if it was coming from the room above or what. So I immediately called the front desk and they "acted" concerned and said that they would immediately call for someone to come and check the room. And my concern was that we were not dressed so no one could come in at that time. So we were very much inconvenienced at 8:00 in the morning by having to get up and get dressed. We could not take a shower because I don't know where the nasty water is coming from. Also we noticed that there is water damage in that room above the bed.
Once we were dressed, we packed our things to leave the room and went to the front desk. The manager was there by then and stated she would put us in another room. Ok, why did I have to ask her if they would do anything for our inconvenience because this shouldn't happen in the Marriott or anywhere for that matter.
On Sunday (check out time) why was my card charged for the stay? I called down to the front desk and they say "Oh no, it's not charged on your card. I can handle that right now." I paid cash when I left.
Ok, fast forward to Thursday and I am returning home from another trip we took for the 4th of July, checked my accounts and why is $185 hold still on my credit card from the SpringHill Suites Savannah Midtown? My room charge was less than that. Now this is why I don't like to give hotels my credit card. You got my money and still got a hold on my card? I called the hotel and still not getting any logical answers, asked to speak with the manager and got his voice mail. Called back , told the girl my issue and that I needed the manager to call me. I usually get a customer sastisfaction survey by email everytime I stay at the Marriott. Why haven't I received one for this stay.
To each is own, but NEVER AGAIN for me and anyone that I can tell.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ATL T
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Dear ATLtraveler39,

We do strive to meet all guest expectations. We are required to follow policy in regards to cash and we typically mail the refund check with twenty four hours of the guest departure. The leak you describe was due to a guest above overflowing the tub and not within hour control. The fund on your card was a pending authorization and should be off and was probably on longer due to the July fourth holiday. I hope you continue to enjoy your travels; we are one of the original SpringHill Suites and should be updated in the near future. We thank you for staying with us and thank you for your understanding and comments.
Warmest Regards,

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed here and had no issues. It is much cleaner then the other Springhill location out @ I-95 Gateway as i have stayed at both. I had a first floor room, it was clean and comy and well finished. No complaints here and you cannot complain about the price it was a great deal!

Room Tip: First Floor was a good location and was very clean although you could sometiumes hear people walking...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Came in last night and found a 4 inch roach roaming around the bathroom. For a customer who loves the Marriott brand I thought this was apalling.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clarence B
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Traveler,

We would like to thank you for your review. We have seen a few unwanted pest recently due to consistent heavier rain. Please be assured that we have contacted our pest control company and addressed your issue along with a few more. We take great pride in providing a clean and pest free atmosphere. We hope you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again if your in the area.

Warmest regards and happy travels,

General Manher

Reviewed June 7, 2012

My husband and I came to Savannah to spend some time with my parents, they where at The Residence by Marriott, a few miles down the road, and it unfortunately was sold out se we stayed here. My parents had a great stay our was ok. It is not like I have anything bad to say about this hotel, it was just all very average. The room was average, with an ok, sheets, mattress, and towels. When we booked this and it stated it was a suite I thought perfect two separate rooms, it is not, it is one room. My husband planned on staying in the room during the day and working, the Internet was fine for a casual user, but if you need to do some serious work and need speed, this will not work for you. The workout facilities, well wow, and not in a good way. A decent treadmill and also a bike and a step machine that where both from the 80's and that is all they had to offer. Luckily I was able to grab the treadmill everday. The pool, not that impressive either. The breakfast was very nice so big kudos for that and all the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. This location is to far away if you want to be down in the historic distric, spend the extra money and time saved and stay down there. The restaurant a block down the street Tangerine was the best we ate at in Savannah. Over all this is an ok hotel, just so long as you know and get exactly what you are looking for.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear basildogpuppy,

I would like to take a moment and thank you for the review that you posted. We do try to provide a clean and warm atmosphere for our guests. We hope you found the staff to be accomadating and friendly as we look forward to providing an excellent stay for each of our guest. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write the review and we hope to see you again when you are in the area.

Happy travels,

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We had a great experience. The facility was very clean; one of the cleanest we have seen. Some of the reviews stating "older" facility had us concerned but it was fine. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was good; enough out of the main hub to avoid congestion but close enough for convenience. I would recommend this location and will stay again when traveling back to Savannah.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends