“Comfortable and clean hotel”

Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District
Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We arrived early and was told initially our room was ready but then found out the prior guest decided not to check out and we would be put in another room, which was not ready. We were told they would contact us as soon as the room became available - but we never received a phone call...Thus we checked in at their normal check in time. The room was immaculate - great housekeeping staff. The room was very clean, fresh towels, etc. No complaints at all in that department. We did go to the morning complimentary breakfast each day which offered a variety of fruit (actually you could get fruit pretty much all day), several juice and cereal options, coffees, teas, etc. and then a variety of breads/pastries as well as some type of hot food options like breakfast meats, eggs and french toast. Check out was simple since we paid ahead of time. You do have to pay for parking either $15 a day for valet or $10 to self park (in a lot across the street). Just remember if you do park across the street, drop off your suitcases prior to parking your car because the hotel will not allow you to take a luggage cart to the parking lot. The hotel is located in the heart of downtown historic district and you can walk pretty much to anywhere and most of the tours will even pick you up at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rdginto
Write a ReviewReviews (2,718)

Reviewed May 20, 2009

I stayed here over Mother's Day weekend for the second year in a row. Hotel has been renovated and upgraded since last year so furnishings are much more up to date and everything looks fresh. Although the room I had most recently was not as large as last years and faced the rear of the property instead of the street, it was still very clean and comfortable. As for the staff, it is hit or miss. Some of the front desk are friendlier and more helpful than others, but all meet the minimum requirements. The maids are all super friendly and pleasant. Breakfast staff are very warm too. The only negative I can find about this hotel is it does not have a hot tub/spa, only a swimming pool, and I wouldn't let that stop me if I wanted a weekend getaway in Savannah because the location is superb. Parking situation can be a little confusing too. Otherwise it's a gem.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank cindersmom
Reviewed May 15, 2009

Excellent location across the road from River Walk, we were on the 7th floor at the front, traffic noise wasn't a problem this high up, and a lovely view of the river. One queen bedroom fantastic price, clean & a lovely comfortable bed. Microwave & fridge a bonus, especially the fridge. The staff were so nice and very helpful, as Brits we needed help on how to get in & out of the self parking garage! Also my spectacles broke & tape was supplied willingly & with a smile. Internet access in reception helped us plan ahead and the concierge had many leaflets & sugggestions to help us.One of the best Hotels we have stayed in in the USA. as part-time residents of Florida we like to explore other areas & I can honestly say this Hotel was exceptional value in a beautiful City, the breakfast was varied a great start to the day in a well run dining room. Fruit & beverages were out all the time by the lift, and kept clean & well stocked. It was in a historic building , exposed brickwork but with modern features which all blended in nicely and a roof top pool area. We hope to return later in the year & would definately stay here.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank New-Horizons14
Reviewed May 14, 2009

We chose the Hampton on E. Bay St. for its convenience to all the Historic sights that we wanted to visit. We found much more in the cleanliness of the Hotel, the friendly staff and the delicious breakfast. Especially helpful was Receptionist, Lavernitra, who assissted us in acquiring adjoining rooms. After checking into our rooms, which were very nice, we felt that having adjoining rooms would make our stay more enjoyable. We talked to Lavernitra the next morning and she not only located the rooms but told us we could go on our sightseeing for the day and the staff would move all of ouur things to the new rooms. When we returned to the hotel that evening, we had our new keys and the rooms were ready and all of our things were in the rooms. She was a person of her word and made us feel right at home at the Hampton.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I had 2 rooms at this hotel that I have stayed at a couple of times. When I called to cancel one of the rooms-once the desk clerk realized I was canceling, she left me on the phone for 20 minutes. I had to hang up and call back. When I was confirmaing what was on my confirmation letter, she informed me that they had switched to an all nonsmoking hotel and couldn't honor my smoking rm confirmation. I had made the reservation one year ago and no one bothered to call any of those reservations to inform me of the changes. On the way, I had forgotten the exit number off of 95. The girl gave me the wrong directions and sent me 15 miles out of the way-ONE way. I called back to tell her and she laughed and handed the phone to someone else, who gave the correct directions. I know I should have mapquested, but generally you can rely on Hamptons for quality customer service, but this one lacks in that department. There were large bugs that looked like roaches in the room. When I called the front desk, they said "oh, that is a palmetto bug, not a roach!" I asked to be switched to another room, and the desk clerk told me that there will probably be some in any room. WHAT???!!! It's a great location, a little bit of a walk to the good part of Bay St., but do-able. I am staying at the Hilton Garden Inn or Doubletree from now on. I won't even bother with this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TMetfan
Reviewed April 8, 2009

We liked this hotel. It's in a great location just a block from the riverwalk. Nice room, large bathroom, good breakfast. Savannah is a beautiful city, definitely take a guided tour on the trolleys, then go back to the areas you want to explore more. We took the Oglethorpe tour (get on at the visitor center) which was only $10 each instead of $25 being asked by the others. Our guide was great and it went exactly the same route as the others, it also has the hop on/off option. Don't bother with the river cruises. The Savannah riverfront was very industrial, not scenic and not worth the $24 each for the hour.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mebohio
Reviewed March 23, 2009

My married BFF gets so little time away, we've decided to do something special every 3 or 4 months. This time, we decided to go to Savannah for the weekend. After much research on TripAdvisor, I selected the Hampton Inn at 201 E. Bay in the Historic District. We arrived around 8:30P on a Friday evening. I had thought we would be able to easily park at $10/day in the parking garage across the street, but found that it was completely full. My next choice, of course, was to park in the hotel parking garage for $15/day. To my delight, the hotel charged me $10 for the first day and $15 for the remaining two days. I felt this was a reasonable amount to have my car secured while we walked throughout the area. The rooms were very comfortable and clean. The staff was exceptional, friendly and willing to help with every request. After having spent 3 days from the previous week in Miami, I appreciated this so much. Savannah has to be the most gracious city! But, sadly, the ghosts and spirits did not cooperate and we had no experiences. I have to add, my friend, who is extremely sensitive, did not particularly enjoy our tour of the "rum basement" at the Pirates' House Resturant. I, on the other hand, apparently do not have that sensitivity, so just enjoyed the history! But, most importantly, this hotel was ever so comfortable. (I stayed at another hotel last year -- the Hampton was so much better by far!) You can't miss with this one!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends