“Great Location But Not the Best Hilton Has To Offer” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District
Ranked #14 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pennsylvania
“Great Location But Not the Best Hilton Has To Offer”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great location and within walking distance to most downtown hot spots but this property lacks the ammenities and services I expect at all Hilton/Hampton properties. You're OK for one night if you just need a bed to sleep and you're out the next day but I don't recommend it for multiple nights. Here's why:

1. Room
- very odd HVAC set up - large, noisy circa 1990 through wall unit, sitting on an equally large wood built in stand that preoccupies the room and it's at chest height (not kidding). This 'design' not only takes away valuable window space but also sun light which makes the room dark. Plus you can't open the window for fresh air. TV did not have HD channels - can't think of any HI&S I stayed in that didn't offer HD TV.

2. No on site ATM - told me to go down the street to the local Bank of America - how's that for being customer convenient

3. No on site Pantry to buy a few snacks or drinks - unheard of

4. On site vending
- OK, so you don't have an on site pantry so where are the vending machines? Answer: every other odd floor while drink machines are on every even floor - huh?

5. Parking
- I'm OK with valet parking and decided not to use the parking garage across the street because the hotel's garage is right next to the hotel - more secure, right? Guess where they parked my car - across the street in the garage.

6. Small, not very private/quiet lobby/lounge area
- if you want to relax in the lobby area, get on the computer or sit by the fire you have to compete for space as the area is small as lobbies go, is not off to the side in a quiet area plus they were instaling a new hardwood floor so all the to be installed wood is piled up taking even more space away from guests. Plus forget getting any evening cookies - as soon as they were gone none reappeared.

7. Disengaged front desk staff
- they just weren't welcoming, friendly and engaging to guests as many other front desk staffs are at properties I stay.

If you are a Hilton guest like me, check out the Hilton Garden Inn (my orginal 1st choice but they were booked ) or the Doubletree a few blocks away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leonard M, General Manager at Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I first want to apologize for the inconvenience that your experienced at our hotel .The issues have addressed with the proper personnel. Please call and ask for me if you ever are back in the area and I will be more than happy to accommodate you.

Best regards,

Leonard Massey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had one night in Savannah and stayed at that hotel and didnt regret it. The hotel is very good and the location is great. You are just 1 minute away from the water where you find a lot of nice shops, restaurants and bars. Our hotel was on the Hampton standard, so no problems at all. We made a trolley tour which was not too bad, but not too exciting. In the evening we wanted to have some drinks. At first we were at the bar in the Old Pinke House which was nothing for us. Too stylish. But we wanted to have more drinks and went into the hotelbar of the Hilton Express on the other side of the street. Had a great bartender and a good time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank isbn1
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Location, Location, Location! Within walking distance of anything you want to see or do in the historic district of Savannah. The staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and spacious...I would stay again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed 2.9.13 for one night with our 22 month old and had a room that faced the water. The view from our tiny window was nice but the noise from the street kept us and my daughter up all night. Not only was the street noise a major issue, the walls if rooms are paper thin and you can hear every door opening and closing down the hall, people talking, and walking by all night. We were even more unfortunate and got end room next to stair well and all night long it would open and slam waking us
Up. Between the street noise from every car that drove by the busy street to the door slamming we had a miserable time. The noise truelu ruined our trip. We will never ever stay there again. And don't even bother the continental breakfast, there was not enough tables and everyone is unhelpful. We stood around hold our exhausted baby from horrible night sleep and couldn't even get food. We love savannah and visits often and we will go back to planters inn which is perfect for the price.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Familylife3
Rock Springs, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great location with easy walk to the river and other sites and restaurants. Front desk and valet were great. Standard Hampton breakfast, The rooms could use a little updating but over all I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelwyo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This hotel was perfect for my birthday weekend in Savannah. The staff was so sweet and even had my name on the board when I walked in the door! The beds were so soft and the shower was lovely. Instead of using the valet, I parked in the garage across the street for $8. It's just a short walk to River Street and was an excellent price. I will definitely be staying here again next time I come to Savannah!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kaitlin M
Charleston, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I'm a regular Hampton Inn business traveler and this HI wasn't up to snuff. I hung up my toiletry bag and the hook came out of the wall. The hot water was just warm...so I didn't get a hot shower. The toilet wouldn't stop running, so I finally turned off the water to the toilet so I could sleep.

I put "Hampton Inn Historic District" in my GPS, and it took me to Broughton St. (where there is no Hampton Inn) instead of E. Bay St. I had stayed at this HI before so knew vaguely where I was going so didn't get lost. However, when I showed the GPS misdirections at the front desk, they seemed to think it was my problem and didn't seem to understand that if my GPS got it wrong, then others who subscribe to the same GPS would get lost...and that corporate needs to investigate and get corrected. They didn't care.

The valet parking staff was nice and efficient.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DSBAA
Alfonce M, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Savannah - Historic District, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your business and want you to rest assure that we will fix every issue mentioned in your review. Guest satisfaction is our top priority and we would love for you to come back so that we may have a chance to make things right. Thank you for your business and see you in the future.