“Wonderful experience”

Savannah Marriott Riverfront
Ranked #46 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed March 31, 2006

We found our experience to be wonderful. We arrived four hours prior to check-in and ask out of curiousity if it would be possible to get in our room. The front desk person was so courteous in telling us that was not possible and even apologized because our room wasn't ready! She welcomed us to bring in our belongings for storage and assured us they would be in taken to our room. Because of the conveniences offered us by the Marriot of ample parking and the easy check in process, we were able to begin our tour of Savannah without delay. Our room had been recently remodeled and was beautiful! The furnishings and decor were elegant. We did notice workers on our floor, but they were in a distant area far from our room and never proved to be a distraction. During our entire stay, we found all the hotel personnel friendly, courteous, and attentive to any need we might have. The concierge was outstanding and by far the best we have ever encountered in any hotel we have ever visited!
Marriot's location at the end of River Street did not prove to be an inconvenince at all. The trolleys pick up in the front of the building and we never had to wait long. Our experience with Old Town Trolley Tours was excellent. The shops and restaurants were only a five minute walk by the waterfront. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Savannah!

Stayed: March 2006
9  Thank DinnerDiner2014
There are newer reviews for Savannah Marriott Riverfront

Reviewed March 4, 2006

I stayed here because a member of my business team had an allergic reaction to the Mulberry across the street. I found the hotel mixed - my room was newly refurbished and in excellent condition but had grit and construction dust on the floor. The halls were not done yet, neither was the main foyer so it looked tired. The restaurant for breakfast was empty despite a conference attending - which should tell you something about the food. I ate one lunch at the lobby bar and the crab cakes were good, service adequate.
This hotel is located at the end of the riverwalk so expect to hike to any of the other downtown activities.
Truck traffic starts running in earnest week days about 5 am so don't take a room away from the water as you won't need a wake up call!
Wireless highspeed is free in the lobby but wired is $10/day in room - why?

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank Bearcat57
Reviewed February 22, 2006

Review is for the Marriot Savannah Riverfront Hotel (caption at top of review apparently is incorrect & can't be changed)

We had a beautiful room with a spectacular view of the river. It was very enjoyable watching the container ships come by. Beds and pillows are incredibly comfortable. Room service was very fast. Food through room service as well as breakfast buffet was very good.

At check-in, desk clerk first assigned us a room down a corridor where rooms were being renovated. After dodging ladders and workmen to get to the room, we decided to return to front desk and request another room. Clerk was very accommodating, but the rooms on this corridor should have been blocked off & not assigned from the beginning.

Both valet and self-parking is available. Self parking is very easy and easily accessible to the rooms. Bellpersons (both men and women) were exceedingly friendly and helpful at checkin and anytime you went out the front door!

Concierge was very helpful in arranging a Black History tour for me. When the van for the tour didn't pick me up on time, the bellman voluntarily took it upon himself to call the tour company and find out what the delay was.

Location is at the far end of the riverfront and the historic district. There is a nice walkway along the river from the hotel but it is long and a bit inconvenient. If you don't mind being far away from the real historic district, this is the hotel for you. If you like walking out the front of the hotel and seeing the beautiful oak trees with the hanging moss and being able to walk easily to the squares and enjoy the ambience of the city, you'd probably prefer another hotel more centrally located in the city.

Stayed: February 2006
9  Thank Zell
Reviewed January 13, 2006

We stayed at this hotel New Year's Eve (12/31/05) and New Years Day (1/1/06). Overall we had a good experience at the hotel but did experience some inconveniences that left a bad taste in our mouths.

We arrived at the hotel fairly late in the day (almost 10PM) and were not in the mood to hunt for parking so we pulled directly up to the valet stand. Not only did the valet fail to acknowledge our arrival, he continued his conversation with another gentleman for almost 5 minutes. It was only when i got out the vehicle and started walking into the hotel that he asked if i needed anything. For $15/day I would have expected a more attentive valet staff.

Once the parking fiasco was resolved, check-in was a breeze. I mentioned to the checkin clerk (actually an assistant manager if my memory serves me correctly) our problem with valet and without any hesitation he gave me a sincere apology and immediately upgraded our room to a junior suite free of charge. He more than made up for the bad taste left by the surly valet.

The room was fantastic, extremely clean, and had, as other reviews noted, some of the most comfortable pillows and beds on the planet! So comfortable in fact that after we got back from our New Year's reveling we went to bed, put up out our "do not disturb" and spent most of the day New Year's Day laying in bed! Our view wasn't that great but we were on a lower floor and honestly didn't care to get out of that heavenly bed anyway!

The worst part of the weekend by far was room service! Those people were awful and have no idea what they're doing. The night we checked in we ordered a bottle of champagne. The person i spoke to on the phone told me how long it would take (20 minutes for a bottle of champagne?!) and even though i offered a substantial tip if it could arrive in 10 or less, it still took over 30 minutes to arrive. When i called to check all i got was "oh we're just backed up i guess. It'll be there soon."

Our second experience was worse than the first! We ordered dinner for two (salmon for one, steak for the other, along w/ salads, soups, and bread). The food took 15 minutes longer than expected and when it arrived EVERYTHING was cold. Not just the soup, or the bread, or the steak. EVERYTHING!!!! I immediately called room service and was told they would send someone up to take the food away and would make our dinner all over again....Would you believe the second time around the same thing happened?! I lost my cool and expressed to room service, in the most colorful terms i could, that i was not pleased nor was i paying for either meal. I got a call from the same assistant manager that upgraded our room who offered to comp our meal and have a new meal up to us in 15 minutes. He came through for us again. The food arrived just in time and everything was perfect. That guy deserves a medal! It seems like he is the only person in that hotel that has any idea what customer service means.

One more little gripe. The morning we checked out we wanted to get some good breakfast so I asked the concierge to recommend a few places. She recommended one (a restaurant on River Street in which i had had a bad experience several months earlier). I noticed that on her desk were several cards for this restaurant, indicating to me some sort of relationship. I told her I had a bad experience there and needed some other options. Rather than be nice about her demeanor completely changed. I guess since she's the concierge i'm supposed to take her recommendation and not ask any questions? Or ask for more than one recomendation? She was obviously aggravated and would recommend one restaurant at a time. Rather than give me several options, i'd have to keep saying "are there any others?" It was so tedious that I gave up after two restaurants. We ended up finding a nice place on our own.

Overall a good experience. Not the great experience i was hoping for to ring in the New Year but I think i'd go back to the hotel if only for the location on the river and those heavenly beds!

• Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank raul s
Reviewed December 18, 2005

We stayed at the Marriott Riverfront from 16 - 18 December. We met our family in Savannah so we ended up with four rooms total. The Marriott did a great job of accomodating all of us on the same floor and the rooms were all very close in proximity. We all got a balcony and view over the inside courtyard area, which was beautiful. The rooms were all very spacious and the beds were super comfortable. On the second night, the hotel replaced all of the bedding in every room. So, we were the first couple to sleep on their brand new down comforters and blankets.

The location of the hotel is on the outskirts of Historic Savannah, but it was a very close walk to River St. River St has your typical touristy shops and restaurants, but it was a quaint little street. There was a trolley stop right in front of the hotel, so it was easy to get transportation into the main town area.

Overall, the hotel was very comfortable and had everything we needed. The breakfast buffet was very nice and free with our stay. There was an inside heated pool and hot tub. The Magnolia Spa looked like it was had plenty of services (we didnt get a chance to take advantage). The concierge was extremely helpful and very friendly. Probably one of the best concierge services I have ever encountered. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a mid-priced hotel.

• Stayed: December 2005