“Wouldn't stay here again - Bathroom was filthy!”

Savannah Marriott Riverfront
Ranked #44 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed June 7, 2009

This hotel is not up to Marriott standards. First, our bathroom was filthy (mold on the shower curtain, something that looked like feces on the wall, mold in the corners of the bathroom). Second, the concierge was a joke! First of all, they have only one. For a hotel of this size, that is simply unacceptable. Second, when I sat to talk with her, she took a phone call and had me sit there for 10 minutes while she completed the call. She seemed to push selling tickets to the trolley tour (which was pretty good), but didn't seem too knowledgeable on much else. She did tell me the hotel will not allow her to have access to the internet. How ridiculous is that in this day and age?!!!
There seem to be so many other charming places to stay in Savannah, that I would advise everyone to stay somewhere else. Don't waste your time at this place.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,960)

Reviewed June 3, 2009

Looking back im thinking that the $20 a day to park should have been a sign of things to come. When i first arrived at the hotel check in desk i was not greeted nor did anyone even ask if they could help me. The two girls behind the desk were to engaged in their conversation to even attempt to help me( and i know they saw me standing there). I waited about 10 minutes before I had to get someone to help me. I asked for 2 keys only to find out that they never even activated one of them! When i opened the door to my room it had an unpleasant smell. My bathroon was not clean and it took 2 seperate calls before someone finally came to clean it for me. Even after house keeping came and "cleaned" the bathroom i noticed dried red spots on the floor that i can't help but thinking was blood. There also is not a towel bar outside the tub for you to hang things on. The hotel is nothing like what it appears to be online...its VERY dated..and they fail to mention that the indoor pool is IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LOBBY! There is a fee for EVERYTHING. The only food available is from the hotel resturant called Blue...which features a $15+ breakfast buffet (and its so not worth it). I ordered food from room service(the same food served in Blue) it came about 40 min later and i ordered a water an never rec'd it. The walls are paper thin and i was able to here the guests in the room beside me. To top everything off i tripped over a pucker in the carpet that desperately needs to be replaced. Overall i did not enjoy my stay here at all and i will not be coming back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2009

The staff is wonderful. Rooms are always clean. Great location on the end of River Street.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My husband and I booked this room through price line for $90 per night, which was a deal considering the rates were twice that amount. I called the hotel a week before we arrived and mentioned that we would be celebrating our anniversary. We arrived for check in the front desk guy wished us a happy anniversary. We went to the room and found that we were upgraded to riverfront room with a king bed and balcony. About 15 minutes after we arrived, we had a knock on our room which was a hotel staff with a letter from the hotel wishing us a happy anniversary and a box of chocolates. The room was nice and very clean. We thought overall that the hotel was very nice. My husband commented that he thought the hotel staff was extremely nice. I would stay at this hotel again if ever visiting Savannah.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Worst marriott I have ever stayed in. Nothing else available in town this trip.
Dirty, terrible service. Manager of this hotel should be booted from the company.
Not even close to Marriott standards. Atrium roof leaking...outdated decor. Nice outdoor riverfront location.....three small tables with a closed pool. Atruim bar closes at 10pm on Memorial day weekend. Moved to Hampton Inn Historic district after two nights. Half the price...twice the hotel! And.....$22 parking, no coffee service, $10 wi fi charge. Waited 50 minutes for coffee from room service. Never again. Should be called
Marriott budgetel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2009

We arrived at this hotel on our way north expecting to spend a relaxing weekend at the pool in the GA sunshine. Instead, we were notified upon arrival that the pool was awaiting inspection and was closed. The chaise lounges were filthy. As for our top floor room facing the city, it was clean, but extremely dated. We had to call maintenance for a refrigerator and repair of the AC system immediately (which turned out to be a clogged, totally gross and easily-replaceable air filter). The glass "sliders were full of condensation between the panes, darkening the room and obscuring the view. It took full body weight to "slide" the door open to the teensie balcony facing the city and riverfront.
The counterbalance to all the dated crap and poor maintenance is the Front Desk Staff and management. They are friendly, accommodating and are doing their best with a senile old property. The restaurant "Blue" featured a Recession Menu, which was a welcome and thoughtful addition since the breakfast buffet cost $15+. Unfortunately, if you're using Marriott points, this is the "luxe" hotel of the Marriott chain in the market.
"Please Marriott, wake up and reinvest in this property!"

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2009

My husband and I went to spend the weekend here April 24-26, 2009. My husband is Platinum with Marriott, so we used points. The lobby is actually on the 2nd floor (labeled 1) and you enter through the P floor (parking). It was not obvious how to get to the registration desk without having to lug your luggage up the stairs. (We found the elevator later.) We were on the concierge floor with the lounge (the lounge was of course closed on the weekends). There were food and dishes left there all weekend from Thursday's breakfast service in the concierge room. Not to mention the dishes left out in the hall by other guests the entire weekend that were never collected.

The room was okay but I agree with the other reviewers in that there is only so much caulking you can do. The desk in our room was sticky which we had to clean before putting our laptop on it. The maid did not clean our bathroom well at all during our stay.

The rooms are configured weird with the tv facing the desk. You have to pull it out and tilt to face the bed at like a 30 degree angle. The carpets are old and look like they have not been cleaned in years. The location of the pool and whirlpool on the lobby floor was very weird and I think may contribute to the high humidity/mustiness in the hotel. I would recommend that they enclose this in a separate area and not leave it so open.

The decor was definitely from the 80's when they built the hotel and they have not done anything major to update this location. I have been to older Marriott locations that have been updated, so I know that they can do better.

Parking was $18/night (valet $22/night).

My husband and I both think that this hotel is not worth the 50,000 points we used for 2 nights. We will not go back again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple