“southern charm”

Savannah Marriott Riverfront
Ranked #45 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This hotel was in a pretty good location. It was clean and decent size. The hotel was nearby Bay st with all the shopping and restaurants and everything was within a three to a thirty minute walk. It was a gorgeous hotel and a nice pier attached. There was a gym, indoor and outdoor pool. It was not crowded. The desk had a quick check in process and despite booking on expedia, they still tried to add on hidden fees. When I protested the fact that I was not made aware, the manager kindly omitted the charges. Easy access to top restaurants and lots of take out menus if you wanted to order food and brochures for nearby attractions was readily available.
The restaurant in the hotel was nice, a lil pricy. The room service was quick and efficient and decent tasting typical of Marriott restaurants. The room service personnel was a hit or miss. The first night we had a very rude young lady who did not like her job. The day we checked out, we had a lady who was the total opposite and was very friendly and tried to make sure our stay was a good one. Bottom line, I think this hotel was very overpriced and If there was other hotels available to accommodate my family, I would have chosen another because It was not worth over 300 a night. We rented two rooms. Beware of panoramic video that makes the room look way bigger. We had no clue we had a fridge in the room till the day we were leaving. It was very hidden and they never mentioned it at check in. I'd stay again if I had few or no other choice. it wasn't bad, but it wasn't worth all the money we spent. Nothing special!

Room Tip: be sure they don't give you a room on a floor where guests of a family reunion are staying. They...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michnwill4life
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Thank you for your review.

It was a pleasure to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and the location of our beautiful property. I do however, want to apologize for the lack of professionalism exhibited by the room service waiter on your first night. The restaurant manager has been made aware of the situation and corrective action will be taken. It was good to note the next evening your experience was better, but that in no way excuses the service you received the evening prior.

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,937)

Reviewed July 30, 2014

The hotel itself was pretty nice. The rooms were clean and a decent size. Nice scenic views and a good indoor pool. Staff were generally friendly. However, the location is not the best. Convenient for River Street but a good twenty minute walk if not longer to other site seeing places downtown, like Forsyth Park. Also, for any hotel along the Savannah River, be warned of the cargo ships. While staying here, several came through in the early morning and were quite loud.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

It was a pleasure to get your review.

We are happy to note that you were pleased with your room's size and cleanliness, the friendliness of our staff, the indoor pool and the scenic views.

We do enjoy a wonderful location, right on the Savannah River where boats of all sizes can be seen from our hotel. It seems the large container ships were a bit loud announcing their arrival in to our port and I am sorry if that was an inconvenience for you.

Thank you again for your review and thank you for choosing Marriott.

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Our family decided to make Savannah the first stop on the way to our Florida vacation, so my husband and I redeemed credit card rewards and booked 2 rooms, one for us and one for our daughter and her family (my daughter, her husband and two kids ages 6 & 12). When we arrived after 13 hours on the road we were informed they were sold out of the 2 double bed rooms and gave my daughter's family a king room and acted as if it shouldn't be an issue. Only after a few minutes of protesting did they offer to give them two rollaways. The clerk also stated that just because we booked the rooms with our credit card company it didn't guarantee anything! The hotel needs updated and even though the bathrooms are larger there is no counter space. We love Savannah and will definitely go back, but never to this or any other Marriott affiliate. We expected more from Marriott.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Rose C

Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott.

We appreciate you choosing the Savannah Riverfront as a destination and I want to apologize that we fell short in your initial impression.

Unfortunately, room types cannot be guaranteed but it is our practice to help accommodate our guests with any needs they have. I am sorry we neglected to show you the consideration you deserved.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience. Feedback, whether positive or negative allows us to view our hotel from our guest's point of view so guest service can be improved and enhanced.

We hope the remainder of your trip was wonderful.

Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

It seen ok 3* til check in. If I'm checking in a hotel then yes I'm staying overnight. Dumb bell hop asking are we staying overnight, then not help with the bags. Skip me and went to others. The free WiFi is a lie it's a 12.95 a day min. Not complaining but its nice to kno beforehand. Also pay parking. ...... u should let me kno also. But $20 and no valet. With da price of a simple room, this is over charged. I AM expecting a cut for this stay, money back.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jj C
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

We appreciate you and your friends choosing the Savannah Marriott Riverfront .

It seems that you were not aware of the parking or internet fees prior to your arrival, and for that I am sorry. We do have complimentary internet available for all hotel guests twenty four hours a day in our hotel lobby.

I want to apologize that you felt the bellman did not recognize you as a guest and assist you with your luggage. We truly appreciate this type feedback as we can use it as a training tool.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel for over 12 years while attending an annual law enforcement conference however this year has been the worst. This hotel needs to be refurbished and need an immediate makeover. The clue that this was not going to be a pleasurable stay began as soon as we got to our room. The room was warm but not unbearable, so we continued with unpacking. We had requested addtl pillows and a refrigerator, neither were in the room, so I called the front desk and they said they would send them up. As we were preparing for dinner, I wanted to wash my face and freshen up but to my surprise there were no washcloths or bath towels. So my husband called down and told they would send it up. We left for dinner and two hours later came back to the room to find the refrigerator in the floor instead of the cabinet where it should have been placed. We received two bath towels but no hand towels and still no pillows. So we called the front desk
Once again to be told they would be right up. Finally approx. 15 mins later, we had all of the items that we had requested. We finally get ready for bed and then in the middle of the night my husband and I woke up in a sweat only to find the air was out. Not wanting to change rooms in the middle of the night, we tougher it out until 7:00 when we went down to the front desk and demanded a room change. Julie, the front desk manager seemed like she was not concerned about our experience at Hotel Horror and said was more interested in arguing with me that the refrigerator was ok sitting in the floor and not placed in the cabinet. Customer service does not seem to be the focus of this hotel. I must say it's not everyone at this location, just the managers Julie and Patrick. There were some employees who deserve kudos: Abby at the front desk was very nice as we're all of the staff inside of the Blue restaurant. FYI: hotel management should pay close attention to their staff members when they show up for work, there was a bellhop staff person who was extremely intoxicated while working. She was going to the wrong floor, sweating profusely and slurred speech. I must say she did however exhibit good customer service skills even while drunk than other staff who were sober. As a Marriott rewards member, I would be embarrassed to call myself a flagship property and charge up to 280.00 a night. The value and service were lacking.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank 52Peacekeeper
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott and our hotel.

I am very sorry that this year, after twelve years of staying with us, we failed to meet your standards or ours. Your feedback is welcome in that it allows us to view our property from a guest's perspective. Your review will be used for training purposes and is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, in the future, you will allow us the opportunity to serve you with Marriott's customary excellent standards of service.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

For a property that is supposed to be a flagship Marriott downtown hotel (not a roadside or suburban Fairfield!), this was a mild disappointment. My "spidey sense" should have been activated when I went to make the reservation for 2 adults, 1 child and I could only get "either 1 king *or* 2 queens" to show up. Ergo, I should not have been surprised when we went to check in and we were told that we were getting a "1-king" room, but they would be sending up a rollaway bed. It took over THREE HOURS (8 PM to 11:15 PM), three phone calls and three visits by DH to the front desk before the rollaway bed was finally delivered to our room. Temperature control was all but impossible; the choices were freeze or be uncomfortably warm.

The restaurant breakfast was above average (loved the cook-to-order omelet!).

Overall: -GREAT location relative to the tourist riverfront area.
-Although everything was clean enough, I came away with the feeling that this property (approaching 20 years old) was a tad past due for a refurbishment, especially in the plumbing department.
-Service left something to be desired.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank radishmom
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay.

It was good to read that you enjoyed the location and the made to order omelettes, but it seems we fell short in getting a roll-a-way to your room in a timely manner. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

The room temperature has been addressed by our engineering department, so again, thank you for letting us know about your experience.

Our renovations are on-going and hopefully you will choose to return to our hotel in the future to see the updates.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had reserved a balcony river front and that room wasn't ready until almost 3 hours after we checked in. They provided us with a $25 credit, but that left us wondering what to do. They held our bags and we aimed for the ferry. The balcony view of the river was fantastic, we loved watching the boats go by include the huge cargo ships. You can walk the riverfront stores or take a free ferry to the end and either walk back up (as we did) or take the ferry. There are long waits for the ferry, it doesn't always come when it is supposed to.
The down side to this hotel is that there is no where to get breakfast but room service. So if you don't mind paying high prices, i.e. $25 for a small pitcher of coffee and 2 basic bagels, you will like it. It is because of the poor breakfast selection that we probably won't stay here again. We didn't see a restaurant close by that was open for breakfast. Overall, the room was adequate, but there was a lot of noise in the hallway. Not the softest towels either.

Room Tip: Request the balcony view overlooking the riverfront.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Rhon R, Customer Care at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Thank you for your review.

You mentioned a delay checking in to your room and I apologize for that, but I am glad that you enjoyed your balcony and your "birds eye view" of all the boats traveling along the river. We do enjoy a prime location, right on the Savannah River with easy walking, or if you prefer, a water ferry, to shops, restaurants and historic sites.

You also mentioned that you were not aware of our breakfast restaurant, Blue, which is located on the second floor of the hotel. I am sorry for any inconvenience that may have caused you.

We would welcome the opportunity to serve you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our beautiful city.