“GOOD VALUE AND SERVICE”

Savannah Marriott Riverfront
Ranked #45 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is set in a very good position. The staff were most helpful especially on the 8th floor dinette.Old part of town within walking distance also Johnny Mercers house. Lots of history with this city. A must is to visit the 8th U.S.A.A.F. museum at Pooler just up the road a little as the City of Savannah is the birthplace of this famous Air Force.The Hotel reception area is a bit sparse also they have done away with the old bar and all beers are bottled. Still a nice hotel, rooms clean good maid service My 2nd stay at this hotel, no gripes.

Room Tip: Try for the 8th floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Rhon R, Customer Care Representative at Savannah Marriott Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at our hotel.

We take great pride in our wonderful staff and southern hospitality.

The 8th Air Force Museum is just one of Savannah’s many historical destinations. River Street is another premier attraction with shops and restaurants and a few minutes walk via our River walk.

Thank you for choosing the Savannah Marriott Riverfront. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here for one night in August 2013 with my wife. Because of my short stay all the negatives did not bother me but I would not be happy staying here for more than a day.

I am an Elite member and use Marriott brand pretty often, in fact twice on this trip, and to me this property was a little below what I came to expect from the Marriott.

Rooms, lobby and the elevators can use upgrading. The ac control in the room was some ancient model with a turn dial that did not seem to work.

The staff at the check in was not very knowledgeable when I asked for food recommendations or when I had some questions regarding seeing downtown. They kept telling me to see the concierge who was very pushy trying to sell me a tour and insisting I needed reservations for a horse carriage tour. Well guess what I did not buy it from him walked to the carriage stop on my own and bought the tickets with no issues and no line and no reservations needed.

Plenty of parking but it comes at a cost of $20 a day which always bugs me when charged separately. Offer free parking but if you really want to charge me for it build it into the cost of the room. Hate seeing a separate charge for it. From the parking area need to take the elevator up one floor to the lobby. Not a great design but fine. Surprisingly none of the staff offered to take my luggage just pointed to the elevator.

The biggest surprise came when we checked in and they told me they don't have feather free rooms. This is pointed on my profile and automatically registers when I book a room. This is the first time ever I was told at Marriott that they had no feather free rooms and would instead make the existing room a feather free. I was surprised but said fine. This was at 3:30 and when we got home after dinner at 9:30 the room was still the same. Had to call downstairs twice in the next hour until finally a few guys came looked at the room and left. I had to go outside and grab some other guy who took away three pillows and brought back one and then two more. These guys were all carrying blankets, pillows and it seemed like they were playing swap game between the rooms. I really hope someone at Marriott is reading this because this is unacceptable and needs to be addressed and fixed.

It is always great as an Elite member to arrive at Marriott and receive the keys that acknowledge the status. Not in this hotel. Was given regular keys and while I don't care about this it just seems odd and too many things are falling through the cracks in this property.

I can see why so many people enjoy this property and write good reviews. It does have a nice riverfront location and if you have a river view room and a novice to the Marriott brand this will be a decent stay. I, however, expect more from them and I absolutely do not feel that this is a category 6 property at this time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

After reading some reviews....I was very hesitant to stay at this marriott. I am happy to say i was pleasantly surprised. While I do agree the lobby could use some updating...just seemed the atrium was vast and empty...it was NOT dirty as some reviews implied. The room was standard...marriott. We got a river view and my young son loved watching the lit boats pass at night. The location is at the end of the river walk--by the statue of the waving girl. We originally thought being at the end was going to be a nuisance--but it was really easy and pleasant to get to all the must sees! There is a free ferry that brings you to the center of the riverwalk that operates to 620pm. We also walked the length to the riverwalk and it was really quite enjoyable. All in all a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The room we had on the eighth floor, overlooking the river, was great. It was very spacious with a balcony. We were able to sit on the balcony and look at the ships going up and down the river. It was a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have been at Savannah for the 2012 TAPPI PEERS conference and this event happened at Marriott Savannah Riverfront.
Thus hotel has great conferences rooms, lovely staff, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the wi-fi works pretty well and the facilities are new.
It's near from Savannah River Street, that for me is the best place of the beautiful Savannah.
The price is high, but it is compatible with the hotel quality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Family of 3 - stayed here last wknd of July. When making rsvtns online it ask if you wld like an early check-in. We did - asked for rnd 10A. Got there a little after 11A. Room was not ready. Stated it will be 3 or 4 PM and someone will give us a call. We didn't gripe or make a fuss about it. Went to Tybee Island. Almost 5P - no phone call. We called them told them we got in arnd 11A rm was not ready n someone was to call us - but never did. They said everything was ready. We get to our room and it was a SUITE (upgrade for sm price as rglr room we rsrvd online). Apparently, they realize the mistake and accommodated us w/out us having to complain about it. Was able to use Wi-Fi w/out being charged as well. Room was clean. View of Lobby/pool - walkout terrace - as well as view of the river. Room was large w/ sofa-bed, coffee table and 2 chairs w/ end tables, conference/dining table, mini fridge, TV, desk for computer, small stand for coffee maker, water container, etc. I can't remember if it had a microwave (I'm sure it did-but we didn't need it). Yes, we will stay again if in the area. Or, we may just try one of the historic hotels.

Room Tip: We stayed on 7th floor (i think it is only 8 floors-need rm key to get to 8th floor) I blv our suite...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed for conference 4 nights , when we got in our room it was around 80 to 85, made a call n never saw anyone till the 3rd day , if I had stay in room more I would have got more upset, after 2 days of phone call n a front desk vist, they came up at 1130 pm . 2nd DAY we saw blood stains on our sheets , that was dry in sheets .we ask them to change it . front desk cent somebody up at 11pm after calling them at 4pm . would I stay again not sure. like the location , water taxi was great. city I love n great food.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business