“how bad can it get”

Savannah Marriott Riverfront
Ranked #45 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed July 16, 2013

we stayed at this hotel 7-15-13 this was the worst place to pick, the room was awful we didn't even have a fitted sheet on the bed they had two flats on their and it was to small to tuck, we had a half of tv cabinet the furniture was old as dirt, it had to there since they built they is good for having meeting but don't stay there. it might be in a good location but you also want to lay down in a nice clean place they think location is everything the pillows was dirty and the bed skirt had a big stain on it I don't know what the 8th floor and above was like because you had to hav a special key to get up their but I do know that below the 8th need to be torn down brick by brick

Room Tip: if you cant afford the hyatt stay home
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We've always wanted to go to Savannah so I took my wife for her birthday in April. Savannah is rich in culture and history. We sent hours walking around exploring for 3 days and eating at the greatest places --- we had an awesome time.

Marriott Riverfront was in our opinion is in a great location and had the best/friendly staff. We liked being close to the action but not too close. When they found out we were here for her birthday they gave us an upgraded room overlooking the river. The ships moving slowly by as we had a beer on balcony was amazing in itself!

Savannah is truly southern hospitality at its finest!

Room Tip: Riverview is awesome!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

From reading some of the reviews it looks like this place could be hit or miss. For me it was definitely more of a hit. It's a modern-looking building right on the busy working river - the first time I saw a container ship go by it was quite a surprise and a little bit awesome...

My room was clean with a small balcony overlooking the atrium. I was there for a conference and I would say that this is a great hotel for a small conference with the one problem being slow or sometimes non-existent WiFi around the lobby.

As others have mentioned this is not as central to the more historic parts of Savannah but I still enjoyed great food at nearby restaurants within walking distance. I did not try the pool or the gym but they seemed to be reasonable - it is a little odd that the pool is in the atrium right near the lobby but there was a wall around it that separates it a little.

Excellent hospitality from every employee I met. Good business hotel.

Room Tip: I liked my room overlooking the atrium.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Staying here one night July 12-13. The parking is expensive, yet understandable. It is a good location on the water. The room is dirty. There were dirty pillows, dirty water bottles, hair in the sink, and overall the room smells like sour milk. Also there is no refrigerator even though there is clearly a spot for one. I called the front desk and they said they are all out. I informed them I really need one for medicine and they said I can leave my medicine down there in their fridge if I need. Uh... no thanks. There should be a fridge in every room, or what is the point of saving space in the room for one. Ridiculous. We went to their main hotel restaurant for dinner because we were starving... BIG MISTAKE. We were greeted promptly by a very nice server. There were two tables of families, a table with one man, and us. That was it in the entire restaurant. This was fine with us, we expected prompt service since there were max EIGHT people in this enormous restaurant. This was not the case. First of all, the glasses in the restaurant are filthy. We had to ask for replacements and were leery even after they were replaced. Then we placed our order: a grilled chicken sandwich and a turkey sandwich. Twenty-five minutes later our server stopped by to let us know that our meal is taking so long because they were still cooking my chicken. Thirty-five minutes after we originally were seated, we still did not receive our meals. We weren't even offered bread! We got up and left. Granted, the server was very nice, but still... thirty-five minutes for two sandwiches? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.

I frequent Marriotts and rely on the brand for a pleasant stay. I have NEVER been this disappointed in a Marriott. Besides for the location on the water, it is not worth a second glance. Go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere. Or if you must stay here ask for a room with a river view... but really go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The parking is on the bottom floor but registration is one level up, so a little difficult to check in. Other than that, the hotel is in a good location on the river, we were upgraded to a suite, the front desk was helpful, and also although the business center's printer didn't initially work, an engineer came quickly and fixed it. Finally, walking distance to riverfront activities where you can eat, shop for souviners, and also get on tours.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This was a quick stop over stay for traveling from NC to Florida. Choose this hotel as we usually stay in Marriotts - however, this was not the best choice. The hotel is on the river, but a bit farther down from the historical area. We asked for a room on the river - but it is definitely not worth the price. Really not much to see - a regular room would have been just as good. The hotel is not kept up as I would have expected it to be - crackers in elevators - scuff marks on walls. Room was large and bed was comfortable, however we had 3 pillows on the bed that were so thin and old. We did not ask for more (our fault) but it was late when we realized the situation. I am not usually one to complain - but this was not up to the standard that I would have expected. Next time, we will stay in a different hotel in Savannah.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for river front.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We are loyal Marriott customers and were upgraded to an upper floor balcony room. We particularly liked the location...close enough to walk to River Street and surrounding areas, yet right on the river, with a fabulous patio on the river, great for having morning coffee and watching the freighters, or an evening cocktail and seeing the town's lights. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple