“Historic district value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Los Angeles, California
“Historic district value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Located close to the heart of the Historic District, the Marriott was a short drive to all of the nightlife. Liked the riverfront location. The front desk was friendly and the 8th floor breakfast was great, although it would have been nice to have had it available on Saturday, not just the weekdays. Solid 3 to 3 1/2 star hotel. Our room looked onto center atrium, and if you stepped on balcony you could see the river.

• 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Korean first
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am a platinum elite member with Marriott and stay in many hotels from Fairfield Inns through JW Marriotts each year. This was a below average Marriott, not even on the scale of a Courtyard, much less a full-service Marriott. Upon checking in, we were given an upgraded room with a partial view of the river, which was nice. As we unpacked, we searched for our complimentary water as platinum members, but there was no water stocked. Disappointing, but no matter, we brought our own water and opened up the fridge to put it in. Inside the warm fridge we found a half-eaten cheeseburger. Seriously. As we grabbed a towel to pick it up, the fridge fell out of the cabinet. Welcome to The Riverfront Marriott.

The hotel is dated - old carpet, old furnishing, old dial thermostats, etc. The windows on our balcony door were filthy, and I mean filthy as in we could barely see through them. The room felt old, small, and dirty. The lobby has an indoor pool, which is strange in my opinion. The entire lobby smells like chlorine and since the interior rooms are built around the atrium lobby (think of an embassy suites), everyone can see you swimming in the indoor pool. The lobby is very large but lots of wasted space. Seating for 100 could easily be accommodated here but there is seating for maybe 12. Very strange set up.

We took advantage of the concierge breakfast, which was a joke. Not enough food, not enough seating, terrible quality of food, and not even enough silverware. Very disappointing.

As for the location, River St is just a short walk away, and a scenic walk at that. The historic district is not as convenient, so plan ahead as to where you will spend most of your time. As for me, I would have rather been closer to the historic district, but this was my first time in savannah and I did not know any differently. Regardless, the location of this hotel is good if you plan on visiting River St often.

We used the concierge, Linda, who was very sweet and knowledgeable. We booked the trolley tour, ghost tour, and riverboat tour with her, which I regretted later. I felt like these were all canned tours that were peddled by the hotel and I probably could have gotten better on my own had I done some more research.

Overall, I would never return to this Marriott. In fact, we checked out 2 days early. With as beautiful and charming a city as Savannah, you want to have an equally charming stay and I can confidently say that will not happen with this sorry hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

After an unpleasant night at the Westin across the river, we switched to the Marriott Riverfront and I'm glad we did.

Yes, the hotel seems a bit dated with the retro carpet that just sorta hits you on the way in but you look past it pretty quickly. Check-in was a breeze and Kathy Jo at the front desk was incredibly helpful. We booked a junior suite and it was like having an apartment in the city.

The suite was incredibly spacious and 99% clean (a few marks on table were a minus) but the layout was great, huge bathroom and the bed was a dream. Great a/c unit which was not loud like other hotels which I loved. Great bath products, loved the orange/ginger bath and body works line so much I went out and purchased full bottles.

PROS: Linda Ferguson, the hotel concierge should really be a city ambassador. She knows EVERYTHING and was incredibly gracious. Wonderful lady with great suggestions. Try to stump her, you can't. City tour trolley has a stop right outside hotel, spa located in hotel, great views, nice little walk onto riverfront and nice staff. Housekeepers did great job and we were always greeted with smiles.

CONS: Not alot of gluten-free dining options, the gold level lounge was not well-stocked and food was pretty bad, the atrium smelled a little like chlorine due to indoor pool. Also, the doors to rooms were thin so you could hear conversations in rooms as you walked by but since we were in a suite and our bed was very removed from the door, we were not greatly affected by this.

Stay with confidence. Overall, yes, I would definitely stay here again.

Jackson, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Pros - good location and able to walk around historic area. Free parking under hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was clean

Cons - hotel had no historical connection with savannah - your basic Marriott. Room climate control was a bit dated - switches and dial. Window have excessive condensation in between window panes.

atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The front desk staff were excellent, housekeeping extremely responsive, but I'm not sure maintenance crews have been keeping the site up. Our room had issues with the toilet that you had to jiggle the handle to get it to stop running, and the latch on the bathroom door didn't always latch. It was really cold when we were there; the furnace made a loud clunking noise when it would kick in at night so it would wake me up. The bed had a generous amount of pillows, but was overly soft and had indentations that suggested it was old and worn. Neither myself nor my husband were able to get a good nights sleep either night we were here because of the soft, uneven bed and the noise of the heating system.

So it was a mixed bag - a very nicely appointed room, but what would seem easy maintenance issues not being addressed. I was attending a conference so the price and location were right, but I don't think I would stay here again on my own nickel.

Room Tip: Once we turned the heat off there was limited noise issues.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed in several properties in Savannah, my stay here was the most disappointing. Our room was above average with a "balcony" but housekeeping is awful. It's 230pm and no sign they are still on this floor. Okay location but you have a walk to any restaurants. Blue the restaurant on site was empty but service subpar . Food average. Concierge lounge is the worst I've seen ever. Dirty dishes overflowing dirty tables and no replenishment of items especially diet drinks and water. No hot water in the morning, unacceptable. If one attendant can't handle crowd, add another one. Morning lady much better than evening one, she kept telling one family oh you're back again, rude! I will be staying back at the Marshall House next time! Guess they gear their service to conventions and conferences.

Rising Fawn, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great location directly on the river and adjacent to River Street. Hotel is clean, comfortable and the service is excellent. A shuttle picks you up in front and makes all the major stops in the historic districts. Your are only a short drive from the beach on Tybee Island.The only negative is the price of parking. $18 per day is excessive.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms allow you to see the passing ships.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business