“Liked the Inn”

Ranked #24 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta
“Liked the Inn”
Reviewed September 25, 2006

Stayed there from September 22-24. I thought it was indeed charming. the central location and view were priceless, and since my friend and I stayed on the waterfront till everything closed down, there was no troublesome noise to bother us. The room was sparkling clean, as was the bathroom , and was fully stocked from bar to coffee dispensers etc. Only quibble: our room was near the icemaker, so all ngiht we heard the sound as it as used, also sounds in the hallway were magnified. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful.

• Liked — Location and Views
  • Disliked — Hallway noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't get a room near the ice machine!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank karamelgrl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
Atlanta Georgia
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Did not stay! moved across street due to dirty carpets and walls.
Threatened to charge me even though I didnt check in.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank amj1950
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 21, 2006

I was in Savannah on business and my associate booked this hotel for me. It was very charming. Very classic with brick walls and old creeky hard wood floors. I took advantage of the free wine and cheese reception which made the experience so much better. You can sip your wine in a rocking chair on the deck while you watch people pass by.

The only negative thing that I have to say is that the guy at the front desk when I checked in wasn't very friendly. He wasn't rude, but I expected a warmer welcome.

• Liked — The river view
  • Disliked — The front desk guy
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank PageGirl29
Tampa
Reviewed September 15, 2006

Less than stellar..we checked into the hotel and there was no soap in the bathroom, no hairdryer, no coffee machine (but coffee and coffee cups were provided), and no ironing board. Problems were rectified after calling the front desk twice.

The condition of the room was equally poor, the bed skirt was torn, and the bathroom shower curtain had several holes that were partially mended. Bathtub got clogged after every shower, and the the wallpaper in the room was peeling and dirty...Not my idea of a 3 star hotel.. perhaps a 1 star unless there is such a thing as a 1/2 star.

Day two...we had to call the front desk for toilet paper, it was not replaced when they made up our room and no extra roll provided in the room either. Also, don't expect them to wash your sheets if you stay a second night..ours weren't.

Tip, do not get the mini bar key.. they tried to charge us over $20 in mini bar fee's but as we did not even have the mini bar key, they had to remove the charges from our bill.

• Liked — The wireless internet access
  • Disliked — Condition of the room and quality of service
  • Tips/Secrets — Huey's restaurant next door has an excellent breakfast
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelingsourgame
Savannah
Reviewed August 27, 2006

It was supposed to be "charming", "Filled with Southern Charm" The decor is nothing special, the carpets were dirty and torn, the wall paper as cracked and stained, and the ammenties, very lacking. My husband and I stayed here in order to attend a military ball across the river, we were hoping for a romantic weekend. Upon check in we were greeted by what"seemed" to be the hotel staff, howeve, they lacked any sort of professional uniform, we were not even sure they worked there. We were given the wrong room, and offered no assistance with our bags as we carried them to our correct room. My husband had requested a "Champaign and Strawberry basket" to be in the room when we arrived, the basket was literally filled with 3 cheese and cracker snacks, some Keebler cookies, and some potato chips, and a plastic rose (cost of basket $65.00)-the same items that the vending machine downtairs stocked-it was awful, and embarassing. The last thing I will leave you with is when I called to the front desk to request an additional robe: I was told that they only offered one, and that if we wanted two, we would have to purchase it. In sum, this hotel is the only property on the river, so they feel as if they do not need to offer even remotely fair service, or a professional environment, dont waste your money, stay at the Mulberry, or the Westin.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — false advertising and overall "cheapness" of service and decor
  • Tips/Secrets — dont stay here
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 7479220
Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2006

We stayed here on Aug. 11-13. It was not worth the money we spent on the room. ($200.00 a night.) After reading the reviews, I decided to book the room in hopes that the reviews were wrong. I did book a riverview room directly from the hotel. (I wasnt able to get a riverview room with the usual Expedia, Hotwire, ect.) I put on the form that it was my husbands birthday and could I get a wine and cheese tray upon arrival. (I had read that you could get this thru buying a package deal) I was willing to pay extra for this. We arrive at the hotel and checked in 30 minutes early but the room wasnt ready so we got to store our luggage. ( behind the front desk at the check in employee's feet.)There was no parking allowed in front of the hotel, just loading and unloading. We were directed to a parking garage 2 blocks away. (This wasnt including in the hotel price, it was added to our bill.) There is no valet parking or baggage porter. No room service.
We arrived in our room and guess what?? No wine or cheese.(they told us that we could go to the wine and hordeveres on the 2nd floor from 5-7. (NOT EXACTLY what I had in mind! )
The room was old(which I expected) but I didnt expect everything in there to be worn out and stained and a hodgepodge of styles. (The bed was clean tho.) Still the room wasnt even nice (dont EVEN THINK luxury!!!) If you really want luxury stay at the Westin across the river. (They shuttle you over the river) The "plush" bathrobes (only one!) that were quoted as being in the room, was probably the same one placed there when it opened. It was all wrinkled and dusty (it looked like it might have not been cleaned in a while) I was afraid to use it. The cable was out for part of our stay, but when it returned it was fuzzy.)The halls were nicely decorated and quiet charming, a beautiful staircase,but the rooms need a makeover. I have stayed in better 3 star hotels. The view was FABULOUS from our balcony french door tho!! So IF you stay here PLEASE request a riverview balcony room. (If you get a street view room you will only get to see a empty street most of the time) We could see all of the shops and touristy stuff from our balcony which was nice. There was a nice restaurant downstairs called "HUEY'S" that was fabulous!!!!! Great New Orleans style food. I dont think it was part of the hotel. Great omelets and beignets. There are plenty of other hotel that were much nicer in this area. It was easy to get around from all of them so just pick one. Dont try to stay on RIVER STREET, you can always walk there and see just as much as staying on it. I never felt unsafe even at night anywhere in the historical district. I dont recommend this hotel for kids, no pool and as someone else mentioned the "rooftop" hot tub and view doesnt exist. (well you are allowed on the rooftop but you cant really see because of all the airconditioning equipment) There really wasnt much for kids to do. There was a pool table room but it was hard to find. (Pool table, playing cards, big screen TV) No video games. The hotel could be great if someone put alittle work into it . All in all we had a great time in Savannah, it is a beautiful place and very romantic, but we will stay somewhere else next time. Hope this helps!

6 Thank ScottPamR
boston,ma.
Reviewed August 6, 2006

The River St. Inn in Savannah, Ga. suffers from a lack of hospitality from the front desk staff. I wasn't properly welcomed but criticized for making a booking from an ad. The location of my room on the fifth floor required a map but I wasn't given that help. Who would think that the hotel was divided and to get to the fifth floor, one had to be in a particular place on the fourth floor.

The hot tub that was advertised did not exist but trash and laundry bags were left in the hallways until late in the evening.

The complimentary happy hour was great. There seemed to be a different type of employee in that area. Savannah is great but I would stay at another location to enjoy the city. I used to live in that city but this inn is not the place to stay.

7 Thank travelsmartest