“Disappointed”

River Street Inn
Ranked #25 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 21, 2006

Stayed there for our anniversary, but it was anything but special. Just average. Although the staff was courteous, we could not even get a functioning remote control for the tv. The rooms are among the most expensive in the area, and I expected better.

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank schooladm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Jacksonville FL
Reviewed July 11, 2006

I can't believe the negative reviews I've read on this page. I suppose you have to take the bad with the good. When I made my reservation I had requested a river view/balcony room.. upon arrival I was given a river room but no balcony.. the problem was immediately corrected. We had a great corner room with an awesome view.. This is my second time at the Inn and the staff has gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable and at home. They were great with reccomendations and directions.
If you like a place with alot of history and eclecticism, this is the place for you. If you like a more snooty/highfalutin type environment like my mom likes, check out the Westin or Hilton!

Good Luck on your decision!
Constantine

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank ConstantineN
Stoughton, WI
Reviewed July 8, 2006

I spent 3 nights at the River Street Inn on a business trip. This is the second time I have stayed here and I would defenitly stay here again. The Inn is housed in what used to be an old cotton warehouse. The wood plank floors and exposed brick walls add to the charm. The location is perfect for all the sites and restaurants in town. Once you park the car you can leave it for the rest of your stay everything is within several blocks. The sign is small and the inn is set back a little off of Bay Streeet, so it is a little difficult to spot the first time you drive by. I would recomend this place highly.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank ChuckTadow
Verona, New Jersey
Reviewed June 18, 2006

I had read previous reviews and was a little nervous. It really was a great place to stay. Staff was helpful and friendly.
The rooms were clean and stocked.
The location was perfect.
I would go back again.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 10, 2006

We just returned from our June 8-11 stay at the River Street Inn. We booked the "Just the 2 of Us Package" which included: 1 night stay, a private carriage tour, dinner at Tubby's, breakfast at Huey's, champange and goodies in our room and discount coupons. We received the other two nights for less than any of the internet sites quoted.
I was very wary after reading all the negative reviews on this site and had my boyfriend call and check the reservation a couple of times. Once we arrived on Thursday morning, I felt much better. Our room was very spacious and although we were told we may not have a balcony, we received one. The balcony is small, but the 2 of us were easily able to sit on it and people watch on River Street. I am a very light sleeper and the noise of River Street did not bother me. e didn't have a remote or an iron in our room when we got there, but within 5 minutes of notifying the desk, we received them.
The drain in the shower was a little slow, but it was not bad (it is an extremely old building). The towels they use are fabulous...very thick. My boyfriend also enjoyed the homemade chocolates left in our room. We went to the free Wine and Cheese hours one of our evenings and had a great time (we were out of the inn on the other nights).
The staff at the River Street Inn was always very nice and most helpful. They had run out of parking passes for the Bryan Street Garage by the time we arrived on Thursday, but they told us to go ahead and park there. Then, they only charged us for 2 days parking instead of 3...in fact, we paid less than the price they quoted us on the phone...another pleasant surprise. I also heard them on the phone with other customers while checking my email, and they were so great with them, staying on the phone with them for ten-fifteen minutes getting them to the hotel.
The carriage ride was a wonderful, romantic treat. We assumed since it was included in the package that it would be a group tour, but to our surprise, we had a private tour (normally $95) of the Historic District from a funny, knowledgable tour guide (I can't remember her name, but she was from Wisconsin and Raz-ma-taz was her horse) on a beautiful night.
Our breakfast at Huey's was wonderful and the staff was very pleasant. The dinner at Tubby's was fine. My boyfriend had the fried shrimp and loved them. I had the filet mignon and it was overcooked, but my waiter noticed it before I said anything. He offered to take it back, but I declined as it was getting very late. But he was great about substitutions for both of our meals...which I find refreshing as he knew we were receiving a comp meal.
The Inn is in a great location...within walking distance of everything. The only thing we HAD to drive to was Tybee Island. We went on a dolphin cruise there and ascended the lighthouse. We ate at The Crab Shack...good, cheap fun. Yesterday, we went on Old Savannah Tours' On/Off Trolley Tour. For two dollars more, we were able to get on and off at will. We did that most of the morning and then ate lunch at Vinnie Van GoGo's at City market (SO GOOD!) We then went on a riverboart cruise (which I could have done without...it was nice, but you don't see anything that you can't see walking on River Street. Then we headed back to the trolley and did the entire tour with Bob as our guide...I think he was on 917 (there were so many we got on), but if you can get Bob, I highly recommend it...he's a Savannah native and very entertaining.
We finished our vacation with brunch at Clary's today. It was very good and a high note to leave Savannah. Our waitress was Simone and she was quick and polite and we loved it!
We will be back to Savannah and back to the River Street Inn as soon as we can!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed June 7, 2006

My friend and I stayed at the River Street Inn over Memorial Day Weekend. We really had a great time there. The Inn is well placed allowing you access to shopping and dining. A few minor quibbles: We had booked a two queen room, but they checked us into a single. Luckily, I had the e-mail proof that I had corresponded with the reservations desk, and the problem was remedied with little extra fuss. They neglected to give us more towels the second night that we stayed, which caused us some trouble because we only had just enough time to take a quick shower before our dinner reservations (we'd spent the day at Tybee Island). After my friend had gone to the desk and asked for more towels, they were brought promptly. I know that many people have complained about the noise of River Street, but that's sort of the point of staying at this Inn. The bands down on the street generally finished up at about midnight. Overall, I do think that this Inn does charge too much for the service that you get, and I would stay here again if I was given a discount!

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 3, 2006

Stayed at this hotel May25-27,It was the dirtiest room I have ever slept in! Our sheets had staines on them from the previous tenats night love tango. The wall paper was peeling off the walls and the mold on the bathroom floor was growing larger each day.the last time yhe carpets were cleaned was never. Took pictures of all of this just to show friends how filthy this place really was. please do not waste your time or money staying here

• Stayed May 2006