We stayed at the River Street Inn for our honeymoon in April 2012. I had previously been to Savannah for St. Patrick's Day festivities but my husband had never been. I decided the River Street Inn would be a great location to stay at.
First, advice for first-timers to the hotel: Do not listen to Google Maps and take River Street, but pull up to the Bay Street entrance. When we arrived, they had no more parking spots for the day so we ended up parking at a garage instead of trying to get up first thing in the morning to get a parking pass before everyone else.
The hotel is old, of course. The hotel itself is beautiful and interesting, especially the atrium and the hallways seem maze-like if you're used to chain hotels. Our room was large with a large King bed, and our floor was level with Bay Street so we were sure to keep the shutters and drapes closed for passersby. The room was clean, though one evening we came back and it smelled awful - like moldy food or something.. We called the front desk, left for awhile and came back and it was fine, but definitely weird! I'm not sure if they solved it or if it went away on its own. The hallways also smelled oddly like melted wax, not terrible but definitely strange.
As for location, this hotel is perfect if you are spending time on River Street. We actually found ourselves wandering more into town (we walked everywhere, or took a pedicab) and for that reason I wish we'd stayed a few blocks South to be closer to the markets and shopping and parks. The outside of the hotel is beautiful though, with a lot of history and interesting walkways.
Overall, we did enjoy our hotel and are glad we stayed there for the history and experience; however, next time we will probably stay at a newer hotel a few blocks south, to better fit our needs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built of cobble and ballast stones in 1817, as a cotton warehouse, our converted, historic hotel overlooks the Savannah River, right on River Street. Decorated with period furnishings, four poster beds, oriental rugs, hardwood floors and exposed brick walls, maintaining its historic charm. Located just blocks from Broughton Street shopping district & City Market, cars aren't needed, as all is within walking distance; Valet Parking is available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your River Street Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- River Street Savannah
- River Street Hotel Savannah
- River Street Inn Savannah Ga