“Historic value only” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
West Warwick, Rhode Island
“Historic value only”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I chose this hotel for the historic and boutique characteristics. While it is both, in architecture and decor, it was not as comfortable as I had hoped. Hard flat pillows, less than ideal water pressure, and layout brought its marks down a notch. I understand that the buildings limitations make it difficult to be designed in a certain way, but I found it rather inconvenient to have to go up to the 4th floor to go down the hall to a different elevator to get to my room on the (other half of the) 3rd floor. They did, however, provide a nice complimentary wine and cheese hour nightly in the tavern, where you can sit in rocking chairs in the porch and people-watch. I would probably try a different hotel next time I come to savannah. The location is good, if you want to be right on the waterfront.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank cpeters220

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This place is exactly where you want to be, right on the river. Its located within walking distance to tons resturants and shopping. PLUS, its only about a five minute walk to some of the most haunted buildings in Savannah, which everyone should see, even if your only passing through.
Expect a workout on your legs also, lots of steps and cobblestone in the area, but thats what history is all about.
The Inn itself is beautiful. The staff is great, very informative, also, the food on the premises is wonderful.
All in all, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kenbon1331
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I love this historic hotel. I always feel like I've stepped back in time! It's always my first choice when I visit Savannah. I've stayed there at least 6 times & each experience has been memorable. The location is perfect for easy access to great shops, food & exploring the city. The staff is always friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JustATravelingGal
Albany, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in early December - if it wasn't a weekend it seems that parking would have been a problem but we lucked out and got a good spot right in the back and just left the car there for the weekend. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel is a beautiful old brick building right in the center of everything. There is a cocktail reception each evening, we only went once but there were light snacks and drinks. Our room was very spacious, nice canopy bed, huge bathroom and a balcony that looked out on Bay street with a very nice view of the beautiful City Hall building. Every night there was a turn down service with delicious chocolates - made my day! Good value and great experience overall.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank athena15AlbanyNY
Bay Area, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

So my dear husband chose this hotel, thinking it would be a treat to stay right on the Savannah River and watch the sights. And, indeed it would have been, had there not been 8 bars on the very first floor of the hotel, facing the river. Until about 2 am, we were serenaded by various drunks, awakened by loud and boisterous partyers, and even intimidated by a Making Memories limo, full of inebriated folks, with the song Margaritaville playing at top volume. It was so noisy (it went on for 20 minutes) that I finally got up, opened the window and asked the driver to move on. When he made no move to get his drunk passengers in the limo and move on, I told him I'd just call the police ( which I did).
So, if you sleep like the dead, stay here! If not, and you want the old savannah feeling, stay at one of the charming bed and breakfasts, off the river.
Lastly, the staff have been diffident at best. Not patient or gracious. And the pillows are awful! At this price, you'd think they would get rid of these raggedy old, flat pillows.
Spend your savannah dollars elsewhere.

Room Tip: Find a B and B!!!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank bikegem
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in December 2012 for the weekend. We have nothing but good things to say. The inn is beautiful and puts you in the center of the action on River St. We could walk out of our room and down two flights of stairs and step directly on to River St. We stayed in a king bed city view room which was large and very nice. The bed was incredibly comfortable. They also offer a AAA discount if you are a member so don't forget to ask. The only thing that is a little annoying is the lack of parking. We were lucky enough to get a space about 40 feet from our room but if not you have to park in a garage across the street. Despite that, the inn was wonderful and we will defintely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brandi H
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, but I would not classify it as a BnB. It's staff was more friendly, they had a wine hour and had a more home like feel than your typical hotel chain, but at the end of the day I would still say it was a hotel.

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a short weekend trip to Savannah. It's location is excellent, the front of the hotel is actually on the River Front walk so you are near all the bars and restaurants. The decor is interesting, super southern with big magnolia wallpaper in our room and a huge canopy style bed. Our room (just a regular one bed room on the second floor) had a nice large bathroom and even a sort of seating area with two chairs and a small table beside the bed. The bed was comfy and the linens were nice.

The only real downfall was that our room smelled slightly musty. It was kind of like nobody had used it in a while. It's actually due to the fact that you are so close to the river and it was pretty humid the weekend we stayed and the building is older so it doesn't have excellent ventilation. It's not anything the hotel can help and it did not hinder our trip at all. However, I know my sister's allergies would have gone c-r-a-z-y had she been with us and it would not have been a place she could have stayed due to this.

There is a $10 charge for parking per day and it is in a deck about two blocks away. This is typical in the historic district, but just a heads up!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple