River Street Inn
Planters Inn(Savannah)
Hyatt Regency Savannah(Savannah)
  • Pool
1,473 results
All reviewsriver streetcotton warehousefront deskhistoric hotelfifth floora river view roomcotton exchangerocking chairscomplimentary winesmall balconyturn down servicefree happy hourparking garagefour poster bedhardwood floorsperfect locationcontainer ships
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We loved the location of the hotel. In good walking distance of all the activities in the historic district... Loved the extra touches such as the bed being turned down at night...The staff was helpful and gave good advice on things to do and places to eat in Savannah...The hotel decor made you feel like you really were staying in a historical area. Our room had a balcony and we watched the large ships on the Savannah River. Have already recommended this hotel to family and friends,

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Dannyandpam
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in October. The price was great for a river front hotel with river views/balcony. We really enjoyed the complimentary wine and appetizers nightly. The rooms are modest but have all the necessities. The bed was comfortable but there were no extra pillows. My only complaints are that the ice maker did not work the entire 3 days we were there (we called the desk to inform them) and our key cards continued to deactivate. That was particularly annoying because you need it to use the elevator to river street and to all the doors into the hotel (and our room of course). I had to get new keys 3 times in 3 days.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a river view room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This inn was in a perfect location to all the shops, restaurants and sights to see in Savannah. Our room was beautiful with a river view of beautiful sunsets and huge ships. The bathrobes were cozy and the chocolates on our bed delicious. The wine and cheese happy hour was great. Everything was clean and the people very friendly.

Room Tip: We got upgraded to a river view room for no extra cost. It was so great to watch the ships go by.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was our second stay at the River Street Inn in Savannah, Ga. The thing we like the most is the location right on the waterfront. It is fascinating to be in your hotel room facing the river and see cargo ships pass by so close you can almost touch them. The waterfront is also a wonderful place to relax and people watch or shop. The rooms in the Inn are quiet, comfortable and very nicely decorated. The only thing we think could be improved on are the mattresses! Huey's restaurant downstairs from the Inn is a wonderful place for breakfast as well as dinner. Will stay again on our next trip to Savannah.

Room Tip: We have only stayed on the riverfront because we love to watch the river traffic.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We have stayed at the River Street Inn twice. Our first stay in February was wonderful. The second in September was not.

The room was smaller than the one we were given during our previous stay, though the price was much higher. I assumed the pricing change was due to the time of the year (fall vs winter) and was not much bothered. However, I was surprised by how tiny our room was compared to the one we were given previously. I had assumed all the single rooms would be near the same size.

More troubling, though, it was also clear the room had not been thoroughly cleaned. We found the following at various places in the room: an earring, a popped button, and not one, but 2 different narcotic pills (we looked them up online to ID them).

Although we chose to not make a big deal of it and complain, someone on our floor had complained about the housekeeping staff and they retaliated by reporting that we had smoked in the room. There are no trashcans or ashtrays in front of the hotel, so when I put out my cigarettes outside, I put the butts in my purse rather than litter. I cleaned out my purse in the room each night, throwing the butts in the trash can.

Housekeeping reported to the front desk that the room smelled like smoke and they had verified "evidence" of smoking in the non-smoking room on the first night of our three night stay. A $200 charge was added to our bill . No one mentioned the allegation or charge at the time. They did not even mention it when we checked out. I only knew about it because the bill was much higher than it should have been so I closely read the charges.

When I disputed the charge, the first thing the front desk clerk asked was if I had complained about the cleanliness of the room, which is how I knew the two were related. I stated that I hadn't complained, although the room was dirty, and I did NOT smoke in the room. I explained about my efforts to not litter the property, and even pulled the butt I had just put out (outside) from my purse to demonstrate that I was telling the truth about the origins of the smoking "evidence". I was basically called a liar to my face and the clerk refused to remove the charge. Another employee told me "you're not allowed to have cigarette buts in the room." I said that was ridiculous, I could throw away whatever I liked. I asked if this was a "non-smoking" room or a "no trash" room.

The clerk and other staff were unhelpful and unpleasant. When my husband told her that we were repeat customers, but would not give them our business again, her response was "Okay." There was no manager on-site, so I had to call from home the next day to complain.

I will say that the manager I spoke to the next day was very nice and immediately removed the charge.

Finally, guests are required to park in the parking garage across the street. Parking had always been free for guests. I don't know if they changed that policy since our last stay or if we were punished for our complaint, but our $25 parking fee was not waived even though we were guests of the hotel. At no point were we warned that parking was now an additional fee.

It is a nice hotel. There are free wine and hors d'oeuvres every night from 5 - 6:30. It is in a great location and decorated beautifully, but unless there is a complete turnover in staff, all the way from the housekeepers to the front desk, we will not be staying there again. It's a shame because we enjoyed our first stay so much.

Room Tip: The fifth floor river view rooms are best. The 3rd floor city view are the worst. Much smaller and difficult to get to. Reception is on the 4th floor where the front entrance is at street level and the back entrance is 3 floors beneath, at river level. There are several shops and restaurants situated in the building, between wings of the hotel. To get to the 3rd floor room from the front entrance you have to walk down a long hall, around a corner and then take an elevator to level 3. You then have to maneuver through several other twists and turns in the corridors to reach the room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple