River Street Inn
Planters Inn(Savannah)
Hyatt Regency Savannah(Savannah)
  • Pool
1,472 results
All reviewsriver streetcotton warehousefront deskhistoric hotelfifth floora river view roomcotton exchangerocking chairscomplimentary winesmall balconyturn down servicefree happy hourparking garagefour poster bedhardwood floorsperfect locationcontainer ships
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I am copying below a letter that I sent to the River Street Inn after my recent stay. I won't go as far as to say that they ruined my 50th birthday, but it came pretty darn close;

"I stayed in your hotel from Friday, June 1st until Sunday, June 3rd. I must say that I was excited to be visiting Savannah for the first time and to be celebrating my 50th birthday, but my experience at your establishment was mediocre, and not what I anticipated. It was one thing after another, which I have listed below:

(1) I had booked the “Just the Two of Us” package deal, which should have included a welcome basket and turn down service. I did not receive either of these services and was told that there was no turn down service because the hotel did not have chocolates.

(2) At the time that I booked the reservation on May 5th, I requested a river view room with a balcony, and had inquired again about a river view room with a balcony in my May 29th e-mail to Kayla Cruse, but we were given a room with no balcony when we checked in;

(3) After checking in on Friday, I had requested a blow dryer be delivered to my room. After several attempts, and several hours later, I still had not received the blow dryer because, as your staff told me, it was hectic and they had to get one from another room. When we returned to our room after 11:00 p.m., the blow dryer was in our room;

(4) After checking in, and realizing that the extra pillows I had requested were not in my room, I went to the front desk and requested same. Your staff asked if there was anyone in the room, to which I answered, yes, and that I would take the pillows. I stepped outside to smoke, and upon arriving back to my room, I discovered that your staff entered my room even though there was a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door and my boyfriend was in the shower. Is it your standard policy to enter rooms with “Do Not Disturb” signs displayed?;

(5) We left our room early on Saturday morning, and after returning on Saturday afternoon to get ready for a dinner reservation, I discovered that my shampoo was missing from the shower from where I had left it. I went to the front desk and discovered that it was there, but was not given any explanation as to how or why it had been taken from my room. I was very disturbed by this fact, and decided on Sunday to contact the Police Department. After speaking with the police officer, it was determined that there was no crime since I had received my shampoo back, and your staff explained that someone mistakenly went in my room to retrieve shampoo that might have belonged to another guest. This is totally unacceptable. If it was mistakenly taken, why wasn’t it returned?;

(6) After returning to work on Monday, I discovered that my boss, had communicated with you (see attached e-mail) and asked that champagne be delivered to my room in celebration of my birthday and charged to his credit card. THIS NEVER HAPPENED! Once again, totally unacceptable.

I left a message at the front desk to have you call me to discuss my visit, but I have not heard from you, and it seems like your customers are not that important. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in my stay and the actions or (inactions) of you and your staff, and will be posting multiple bad reviews on Trip Advisor, Urban Spoon, Facebook, etc., as well as telling everyone I know in the legal community in Atlanta about my bad experience at your establishment The pen is a powerful tool these days given internet exposure.

I will be disputing this charge on my credit card. "

The River Street Inn did refund my money..well, not all of my money, I had to pay for the outside services that were provided as part of our package..but don't you think after this type of treatment the hotel would have taken care of those expenses? They also did offer to let me stay at their establishment again..but I am sure there are plenty of other hotels that take quality care of their guests.

18  Thank gk703ga
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We were driving from Florida to New York for the first time and booked a room at the River Street Inn through the internet at the last minute as we thought it would be fun to visit historic Savannah. The River Street Inn is located in a terrific location making it extremely convenient to walk all around Savannah's historic district. Savannah exudes history and southern charm while having a young, upbeat vibe. The Inn is in a historic building and contains antiques and is decorated in an antique style. Our room was very comfortable and included all those nice little shampoos and creams we all love so much. We took a very long walk around town and when we came back to the room that evening the beds had been turned down and samples of southern-style candies had been left on our night table. In the morning I found the newspaper at the door and tea and coffee available in the lobby as we checked out. These nice touches enhanced our short visit. If I had one criticism of the property, it is regarding the parking situation. Once you figure out where the hotel is and where you should park your car in so you can unload it, there are limited parking spots available close by and you can only pay for parking in two hour increments. We had to be out of our spot by 5:30 PM which was less than convenient. I read on the internet that there was self-parking. I assumed that meant on the hotel's premises. Since our car was loaded with many personal things, some valuable, that was important to us. However, I learned upon check-in that there was self-parking very close by, but it was in a municipal lot about one block from the hotel. It all worked out in the end, but we were not crazy about the parking situation. Admittedly, we are from NY and tend to be paranoid. Otherwise, it was a lovely stay and the location terrific. I would recommend this property if you want to stay some place that is not a cookie cutter hotel.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is our second stay at the River Street Inn. The hotel has lots of history and is decorated with antiques. There are exposed brick walls that add to the charm. On both of our stays we had rooms facing the river. I would highly recommend this as it is fun to watch the action on River Street as well as the big ships and small boats go by. There is an elevator that goes right down to River Street which is lined with restaurants and shops. We loved being able to go out for dinner without getting the car out. There is also a trolley stop right in front of the hotel which makes it easy to tour the city, get off when you want, and come back to the hotel when you want. You can walk to The Lady and Sons (Paul Deen's place) as well as Market Street. There are not short walks but certainly doable. We love this hotel for its convenience and its charm!!!

Room Tip: Book a room facing the river.
Reviewed June 7, 2012

My husband and I took a spring break and chose the River Street Inn because it was located in the historic district. I'm so glad we did. The room was beautiful, the staff so friendly and helpful and location, location, location! We enjoyed ourselves so much that we can't wait for an opportunity to go back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We got lucky with #421. If you can, try to book it as its one of their nicest rooms. My review is only based on our experience, as we heard some of the other rooms were not as nice.
We checked in for one night and the man at the front desk was great. He told us about a bunch of the local spots to eat and drink. We ate at Huey's, which is on the street level of the hotel, and it was delish. And we drank at Wet Willy's, which I would also suggest. Our room had a little balcony that overlooked River st and the river, it was a marvelous view. We loved the hotel, the room, the service, the food and would absolutely stay here again. We experienced the soul of savannah in one night!!

• Stayed: May 2012