A friend and I enjoy visiting Savannah, and had stayed at the DeSoto several times in the past. However, the last times we stayed there has changed our minds.
We had plans to spend the night in Savannah on our way to Charleston, S.C., then return to the Savannah DeSoto before driving home. I made the reservations online through the Hilton site, for a smoking room with two beds.
When we checked in for the first night's stay, we were told that we had a corner room with a balcony. When I asked the clerk to confirm it was a smoking room, she initially evaded my question before finally answering it was a nonsmoking one the third time I asked. She did change us into a smoking room, but said we had to wait an hour for the room. Since it was pouring down rain, there really wasn't anywhere we could go, so we hung about in the lobby area. After waiting an hour, I was told by a second clerk it would be at least another hour before the room was ready. We were offered nothing for having to wait. We finally did get the smoking room with 2 beds. However, the door wouldn't shut properly and we had to slam it shut to keep the room secure. There was no clock or hair dryer in the room, either. SInce we were only staying in the room overnight, we elected to overlook those failings.
When we returned to the DeSoto, we did have a smoking room with 2 beds at check-in, however there was no ash tray, clock, or hair dryer. It took a call to the front desk and a wait of at least 30-45 minutes before getting the ash tray; supposely they were looking "all over" for one. We asked for a clock as well, which seemed to be easier for the hotel to locate despite the fact that we had to call seperately about one since the clerk didn't give me a chance to ask for a clock at the same time I called about an ash tray..
We noticed other people staying on our floor seemed to also have had the same trouble of not being able to fully close their room door without slamming it shut. The outside pool was also closed, which seemed unbelieveble since the hotel was suppposely full and Savannah's summertime temperatures are so hot.
The rooms at this hotel are nice, and it's location is wonderful. However, my friend and I will not stay at the Savannah Hilton DeSoto again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Historic District. When you stay at the Hilton Savannah Desoto, you're within walking distance of so many famous attractions including Riverfront Plaza, River Street and City Market. You'll love the view over beautiful Madison Square from our rooftop pool and patio. Dine in the DeSoto Grille, serving southern cuisine with an inventive flair. Our meeting and event space features panoramic views of the city, perfect for any meeting or wedding reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Savannah Desoto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Savannah Desoto Hotel Savannah
- Hilton Hotel Savannah Desoto
- Hilton Desoto Savannah
- Savannah Hilton