“Will not stay here again”

Hilton Savannah Desoto
Ranked #45 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Georgia
“Will not stay here again”
Reviewed June 11, 2009

A friend and I enjoy visiting Savannah, and had stayed at the DeSoto several times in the past. However, the last times we stayed there has changed our minds.
We had plans to spend the night in Savannah on our way to Charleston, S.C., then return to the Savannah DeSoto before driving home. I made the reservations online through the Hilton site, for a smoking room with two beds.
When we checked in for the first night's stay, we were told that we had a corner room with a balcony. When I asked the clerk to confirm it was a smoking room, she initially evaded my question before finally answering it was a nonsmoking one the third time I asked. She did change us into a smoking room, but said we had to wait an hour for the room. Since it was pouring down rain, there really wasn't anywhere we could go, so we hung about in the lobby area. After waiting an hour, I was told by a second clerk it would be at least another hour before the room was ready. We were offered nothing for having to wait. We finally did get the smoking room with 2 beds. However, the door wouldn't shut properly and we had to slam it shut to keep the room secure. There was no clock or hair dryer in the room, either. SInce we were only staying in the room overnight, we elected to overlook those failings.
When we returned to the DeSoto, we did have a smoking room with 2 beds at check-in, however there was no ash tray, clock, or hair dryer. It took a call to the front desk and a wait of at least 30-45 minutes before getting the ash tray; supposely they were looking "all over" for one. We asked for a clock as well, which seemed to be easier for the hotel to locate despite the fact that we had to call seperately about one since the clerk didn't give me a chance to ask for a clock at the same time I called about an ash tray..
We noticed other people staying on our floor seemed to also have had the same trouble of not being able to fully close their room door without slamming it shut. The outside pool was also closed, which seemed unbelieveble since the hotel was suppposely full and Savannah's summertime temperatures are so hot.
The rooms at this hotel are nice, and it's location is wonderful. However, my friend and I will not stay at the Savannah Hilton DeSoto again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
usa
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Recently completed renovation brings new life to old property. Our room was beautifully decorated, extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable. The hotel staff was outstanding: very friendly, courteous and professional. Loved the hotel's location in the Historic District and the view of the city from our room was spectacular. This is a dog friendly property and they definitely go out of their way to make you and your pooch feel welcome. There's plenty of green space conveniently located across the street from the hotel where you can walk your dog. The hotel's secured underground parking for $13 a day was not that bad at all. There are several metered spaces around the hotel where you can park for free on the weekends. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and will definitely be back!

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
Reviewed June 4, 2009

The Desoto has recently been renovated. All construction is finished. It is beautiful and very clean. Front desk and valet parking attendants were fantastic. This was one of the cheapest hotels I could find to stay in the Historic District. Our balcony looked right out over The Cathedral of St.John the Baptist. There are not many rooms with balconies, so make sure you request it if you want a balcony. The rooms are a little on the small side and did not have a microwave or refrigerator like most hotels do now. Even a room with double beds, would not recommend 4 people staying in one room. We ate at the hotel restaurant once. That was for breakfast. We all got the buffett, as it seemed the most easiest. Seemed a little pricey at $60 for 4 for breakfast. It does take about 10-15 minutes to walk to "downtown" historic district. My grandparents were with us on this trip and with the length of the walk and the heat & humidity that Savanah is known for, it was very taxing on them. The hotel has 3 elevators and during our stay, only 1 was working. My only complaint was that we had reserved the room for 4 adults and we were always having to ask for more towels, coffee, etc. Housekeeping didn't even have the room set up for 4. So each day we did have to remind them we had 4 in the room and not to leave just 2 sets of towels and 2 coffee cups/condiments/etc. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
maryland
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My sister and I had a wonderful 2 night stay here.
The location could not be better. Central to everything.
Very comfortable. Great beds.. I ordered their pillows today because they were so comfy.
I hope to stay here again someday...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed May 22, 2009

We booked this hotel on Priceline and was very pleased with the room we got. We received an upgrade at check-in to a King balcony room that overlooks the historic district with views of cathedrals, mansions & parks in the distance. The views are fantastic! You are within walking distance of the shops, restaurants & entertainment. The hotel is nestled in a quiet section of Savannah away from the noise & traffic of the riverfront. Our room was clean, roomy & nicely appointed.

Check-in was a breeze. Front desk staff was very courteous. Valet & self-park available for a daily fee. Street metered parking is free on weekends or park at a city garage for less. The hotel has gone through a makeover, but still shows signs of aging. I would rate this hotel as a solid 3-star hotel. We paid a bit more for a holiday weekend, but can get a deal online any other time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We loved this hotel. The rooms were clean and cute and the price could not be beat. The pool area is awesome and the staff was great. They are very dog friendly and for $50 you can bring your best friend with you. Savannah is great for dogs, there are great areas to walk them around the hotel. Just don't forget to clean up after your pet. I strongly recommend this great hotel which in a great location!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2009

After some of the reviews, I was worried about staying here. I arrived at 10 PM on Friday with my teenager daughter to wonderful valet and bell captain. Within 2 minutes we were wisked inside and within 5 we were in our room on the 8th floor. The rooftop pool and exercise room are on the second floor. There are conference/banquet rooms on that floor, but also rooms that lead onto that deck...I would definately check into one of those room on our next trip...provided that a Prom wasn't being held that night or anything. The bathtub/shower has large glass tiles, marble sink. The corner room next to us had a walk in shower, a balcony and a picture window and refrigerator..mine had none of those things, but it was wonderful anyway. Our double bed room had pillow top mattresses and down comforters and pillows....after long days of walking the bed literally swallows you up and comforts you! The Grill is a five-star! Had great calamari, she-crab soup and salad . My daughter also had desert and the bill was under $20. The had a special 5 course meal for only $28, but I wasn't prepared to eat that much. The wait staff at the bar, at the Grill, in the lobby and that valet are really, really wonderful. I felt like I was family finally arriving and they really took care of me. Couldn't hear a thing from the street. Second night slept with the windows open. Spoiled weekend retreat and I will absolultely come again! Only complaint...free highspeed wireless, but the business center is run by a private company and you must have a credit card and pay $7 to print an email...

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family