I stayed at the Desoto Hilton for a conference Sunday - Thursday, and the hotel is one of the loudest I've ever encountered. I arrived the Sunday of St. Patrick's Day and expected plenty of noise. I wasn't disappointed - there were bagpipes outside the hotel at both 1 a.m. and 2 a.m., followed by drunk guests returning from their night out at 3 a.m. I am not considering this night as a part of my review because we all know that St. Patrick's Day is a total loss in Savannah anyway.
I am reviewing the level of constant noise in the hotel on each of the following weeknights. There are no catches on the room doors, so every guest slams his/her door every single time they enter or leave the room. There are also gaps under every door that are at least a full inch high, if not higher, so you hear every noise in the hallway. I ended up stuffing a towel under my door, which helped a little, but not enough.
The housekeeping staff seems to roam the hallways slowly and for no reason all day long with their walkie-talkies on full blast. I confirmed with conference attendees staying on lower floors that the story was the same regardless of location in the hotel. It's just a loud place. If you're a light sleeper, you will have a hard time of it. As a bonus, there was no hot water in the entire hotel for the first 24 hours. Front desk staff told me at 6 p.m. that everyone must be showering at once and said the same at 8 a.m. the next morning (which is a bit more plausible). Then I was told that engineers were looking into it and after a full day, hot water was returned. I think the hotel is not equipped water-wise for a full house, and when they are sold out, they pretend it's an anomaly.
Even on the 10th floor, I hear sirens, shouting, horns and traffic from the street below through the large patio door. The balcony attached to my room is large enough for three or four people to stand on, but there are no chairs. There is a single rolling office chair in the room, so there is really no functional way to use the balcony. Don't bother asking for an "upgrade," it won't reduce the noise, and although the view is nice, the balcony isn't really usable.
My room is considered a "deluxe double" with a balcony and city view, and it's average size. The beds and pillows are comfortable, and the internet is reliable and fast. In-room coffee is Lavazza brand and it's drinkable. The bathroom is on the small side and it's very (!) dimly lit. I tried to supplement with the lighted mirror, but still had to put on my makeup hunched over the dresser in the room itself to get adequate light.
Overall, this is an extremely average hotel. The location is great and within walking distance of pretty much everything in Historic Savannah. But if you want to get some rest and relaxation, you won't find it here. One of my colleagues highly recommends the Residence Inn a few blocks away. Same great location, but super quiet and many more amenities (fridge, microwave, toaster, etc.), and I plan to stay there if I return to Savannah.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Historic District. When you stay at the Hilton Savannah Desoto, you're within walking distance of so many famous attractions including Riverfront Plaza, River Street and City Market. You'll love the view over beautiful Madison Square from our rooftop pool and patio. Dine in the DeSoto Grille, serving southern cuisine with an inventive flair. Our meeting and event space features panoramic views of the city, perfect for any meeting or wedding reception. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotel.de, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hilton Savannah Desoto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Savannah Desoto Hotel Savannah
- Hilton Hotel Savannah Desoto
- Hilton Desoto Savannah
- Savannah Hilton