“Great Service, Not so Great Decor”

Hilton Savannah Desoto
Ranked #45 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Great Service, Not so Great Decor”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The service is always great at the Desoto and it's a good location in Savannah that is not right on River Street but still has walk-ability. For a business trip, this is important so you aren't kept up by the partying that happens on River Street. My main draw back is the decor of the Desoto. Although they have done some updating, it is still a bit out dated and a little worn feeling for me, but I like a more contemporary aesthetic.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony--it's worth the extra $$.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Spcollins- Thanks for a positive review and for your loyalty in staying with us! I do understand your feedback on the older feel, the renovation was suppose to keep that older Savannah vibe which it does do so a more modern feel would not happen until the next renovation. We will be doing a new beding package towards the latter part of the year which may give you a little different aesthetic look! Thanks for your time in writing the feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
Cold Spring, Kentucky
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The hotel was lovely and the location was great....walking distance to the church, restaurants, river and in the historic district. Our room was a corner with a balcony, and had 2 beds. We had plenty of room. The bathroom was definitely large enough, and beds were clean and comfortable. We were able to go out on the balcony and could see the river, carriages, etc. We also walked from the river back to the hotel. The walk was very picturesque. We ate dinner in the restaurant...food was good, but pricey. A Starbucks was in the lobby which was a plus for me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
rrountree2 - Thanks for the feedback! Hotel room service always a bit pricey but we certainly have more reasonable alternatives at Beulah's in the lobby as well as the Desoto Grille or lounge! Come back and see us again when coming to the area.
Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Not far from River Street, nice walk, good area, great hotel. Don't order room service though, it was not worth the price. If you can get a balcony, the city noise was a very minimum. I'd go back. I enjoyed it. Staff was fantastic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We really enjoyed the hotel and staff. Provided nice umbrellas for the deluge that awaited outside. Very clean and quiet. Close to the Civic Center where our daughter was attending an all-state conference for chorus. Loved the location. The concierge was especially helpful in quickly recommending authentic Savannah experiences, arranging for the tickets, and ensuring we had everything we needed to get there. We were about to miss a carriage ride we had ordered. He quickly called the vendor and kept us on schedule. He was also very helpful providing guidance on a good jogging route to take to see most of the historic district on my run. i am now done with this review. I don't like 200 character minimums.

Room Tip: Corner suites are nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6mcelroys - We truly appreciated the kind feedback and I am glad you had a good stay. I will certainly relay your feedback to our concierge team! Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to you staying with us in the future when travelling to Savannah!
Maitland
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was in Savannah for a seminar that was held at this hotel. I visit Savannah often and usually stay at a bed and breakfast when there (just to attain that historial southern feel), but stayed here because of the seminar. I was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel was built in the 18 hundreds and has retained some of the historical features (photographs of the original in the lobby), but not much. Knowing this, I didn't expect the bathrooms to be very large, and they weren't..no tub, just a shower. The rooms themselves were spacious and housekeeping did a great job in keeping them clean. Wi-fi was available. The only downside that I experienced was that one of my coworkers got a balcony, and I didn't, and I'm an Hilton Honors member!

The location is in the historic district and within walking distance to the riverfront.

I scored it as a good value because I had the seminar rate, I really don't know what the regular rate is.

Suprisingly, the resturant was very good, abet a bit expensive and I had lunch there everyday.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FloridaVol
FloridaVol - We appreciate your feedback. The hotel has a mix of shower stalls and also tubs, the tubs are for the most part in double bed rooms. Balconies are done on a first come first serve basis and in certain months they go very fast. We appreciate the kind feedback and hope if you are in Savannah you come back to see us!
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I booked this hotel with some trepidation after reading some of the reviews on the site, but the location was great for visiting SCAD and for walking around the city. I asked for a room that was away from the elevator and did not have the issues with noise that so many people complained about. There was a 24 hour market about 2 blocks away from the hotel where we ate a couple of times, so we didn't have to pay hotel prices for breakfast (they have hot food all day). The riverfront was about a 15 minute walk. I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lori B
Lori B thanks for the honest feedback. There are truly quieter rooms in the hotel and based on availability getting higher rooms away from the elvators and especially corner king rooms can gain you spacious quiet rooms most times! Thanks for staying with us and come see us again when coming to Savannah.
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 3, 2013

If you're looking for somewhere to stay that gives you that true, old Southern feel- this is not the place. As long as you understand that, this hotel will not disappoint. I stayed here for 5 days in January for a destination wedding and had an awesome time. The location is by far the best feature of this hotel. You're pretty much within 10 minutes walking distance of all the best that Savannah has to offer. I found this hotel to be quiet, safe, and clean. My family came from PA and we would often congregate at the lobby bar and I have to say the bartender Keanie was by far the nicest, most accommodating staff member I have ever encountered at any hotel, anywhere. She gave us a lot of tips on where to eat and what to see, and she served up some great drinks. We stayed on the 5th floor and had a fantastic view, no balcony but it was January so it was not a factor. Another family member of mine did have a balcony and to be honest, it was scary claustrophobic. The rooms are a bit small, especially if you decide on one with 2 double beds. One thing I loved was that the windows in the room actually opened. It was nice to let a little breeze in and hear the horses pulling carriages down the street. The bathrooms are VERY tiny, but updated, clean and fully stocked. I thought the price for valet was a little bit high, but since there aren't really any other options, we had do deal with it. The valets and the bellmen were very nice and helpful. The staff at the front desk was a little... cold, but not to an extreme. We loved Savannah, and I would probably stay here again but I would also like to try staying somewhere that has more of an old Savannah feel one day.

Room Tip: Higher rooms facing Liberty St. have great views. If you are able, get a room with 1 king bed to ma...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Malac1203
Malac1203 - Thanks for the feedback and for recognizing KiKi! We appreciate you staying with us and we are glad to see you had a great stay. If you are looking for real old world Southern charm I would recommend many of the true B&B's available in the city. Once again thanks for staying with us!