“Great Location and Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Savannah Desoto

Hilton Savannah Desoto
Ranked #41 of 112 Hotels in Savannah
“Great Location and Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was a great choice for our recent visit to Savannah, it's in a great location withing walking distance of various shops, pubs, restaurants and parks. The staff was friendly and helpful during our stay and the corner king room we stayed in had a great balcony. The rooms were a little dated but the cleanliness and amenties you can't beat. Will stay here again the next time we visit.

Room Tip: I would recommend the corner king room, very quiet and the blacony is a plus!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aprilguz12
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Aprilguz12 - We are happy to see you had a great stay with excellent service and a clean room! We focus on these areas and I will certainly relay this information to our team! Thanks for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Germantown, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was here in February for a conference and happy to know we were booked at the DeSoto. It is a welcoming hotel, you feel like you are coming back home. I have stayed here 3 times in the past and I am never disappointing. Close walk to everything you want to visit and love that Starbuck's is in the lobby. My room was large and comfortable and it was easy to control the temperature in the room. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the city or a balcony. Fabulous!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jacquie G
Jacquie G - We appreciate you taking the time to write feedback on your stay! I am happy to see you enjoy your time when you come here and I am glad to see you are a repeat customer, it says al ot about what we are doing! Thanks for being loyal to us and we look forward to seeing you in the future when coming back to Savannah!
Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

When you walk in and see the fancy lobby you may think you made the right choice, think again. The staff are very friendly and SO helpful. You can tell they are overwork and underpayed. The food was TERRIBLE. It is much better to walk down the street and eat @ the local pizza joint. The bar staff was AMAZING. Carol and Gerry are two of the most pleasent woman I have ever met in my life. I would never ever stay at this hotel again, the rooms were dirty, the walls are thin, and my room on the second floor smelled of smoke.

However, I would visit Savannah again, and I'd stop at the bar just to see the staff.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank katieautoeuro
stephenralston, Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I appreciate your kind words regarding our staff, However I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I understand the condition of your guest room was an area of concern, I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Wonderful location for food, nightlife and history. An easy walk to everything Savannah! Walking tours are close by. A very central Savannah location for all forms of activity. Only a few blocks away from everything SCAD.

Room Tip: Great for a view of the historic downtown and the river in the distance.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Walt M
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Walt M - Thanks for taking the time to write some feedback and thanks for staying with us, glad to see you enjoyed the property and it's overall locatiion. We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to your return if coming back to Savannah!
Central Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a couple days here in January 2013.
I got a great deal for $125/night for a large king room overlooking the city toward the river.

The room was nicely decorated, and the bathroom counter had lots of space, even shelves underneath (a plus!) Bathroom was clean, and thermostat could be set at a comfortable level.
Bed was very comfortable, and the hotel was quiet in the evening even though there was at least one wedding party there.

The room attendants were very cordial when meeting you in the hallway, and as we didn't use the concierge or really dawdle at the front counter, I can't comment on their attitudes. But everyone seemed friendly.

We parked for free (weekend) on the street, so didn't use the valet service. I believe it was an extra $20/night. Even during the week, it's possible to find free street parking that is within just a few blocks walking. And we LOVE to walk in Savanannah.

The hotel is pretty centrally located in the historic district, and I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you can get a city view toward the river, the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Serenity_Now
Serenity_Now - We appreciate the great feedback and were happy to see you enjoyed your stay. We focus on cleanliness and service and I will relay your feedback to the team! The location is hard to beat as it is central to Forsyth Park and River Street so you can enjoy a stroll in either direction to see the historic squares. Thanks for taking the time to write and we look forward to seeing you in the future!
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Nice hotel. Older in construction but well maintained. Very helpful and friendly staff. The location is really the advantage of this Hotel. You are in the center of the city when you stay here, easy walk to the waterfront and close to historic homes and squares.

I would recommend this hotel. Despite starting to show its age it is still a great stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the river.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RLPayson
RLPayson - Glad you enjoyed the historic property and the fantastic location, we look forward to seeing you in the future and appreciate the feedback!
Ringgold, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Visited Savannah at the end of January for a business conference being held at the Desoto Hilton. This was my first trip to Savannah. The Hilton Desoto was a nice surprise as the hotel had been selected by the people putting the conference on. I found the hotel to be clean and well maintained and all the staff I encountered were extremely friendly and eager to assist.

The Hotel is in the historic district and I was able to walk every where I wanted to go. The room was a decent size and the bed was comfortable. If you want a fridge or microwave in your room then you need to get a corner king room or a suite. The walls are a bit on the thin side and you can hear goings on on adjacent rooms at times. The exercise room is located outside near the pool and is very good for hotel exercise rooms. There were two treadmills and elliptical and a bike, along with a full set of dumb bells and workout benches. Also there was another little room where you could do ab work or yoga. Headphones were available free of charge if you forgot yours. The pool area looked nice but pool was not heated and it was January.

A couple things to keep in mind. 1) All parking is valet and is $20 per day. The cars are kept under the hotel and you can get to your car fairly easily, if you need to, by calling and finding out which space its in. 2) There are only four elevators and if you there when a conference is going on there can be a long line when events let out for the day.

On the whole I enjoyed my stay and would happily return.

Room Tip: If your very close to the elevators you can hear some elevator related noise so if you area light sl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Chris_Tracy Ringold - Thanks for a wonderful review and for staying with us! We look forward to seing you the next time you come to Savannah!