“Nice stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Holland, Missouri
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I booked this stay just a few hours before I arrived through Hotwire. I knew I was taking a chance on what I would get since I didn't get to pick hotel, room or location. We were in historic Savannah but was hoping for closer to the waterfront. The hotel is beautiful upon enter and through out. We received a room on the 8th floor so the view was wonderful. My husband enjoyed the balcony but would have been nice to have had a chair of some sort. Myself being afraid of heights didn't go past the door so I was fine without one. I was disappointed that it had two double beds but that is my fault for using Hotwire and not being able to specify what I wanted. The beds though we're very soft and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and the valets go above by recommending where to eat upon arrival and removed the old soda bottle from my console upon departure. The parking cost though should be included in the room price in my opinion but at $20 is a lot cheaper than the cost in New Orleans. The walk to the waterfront is manageable if your are in decent health but would be quite difficult otherwise. Discovered the Sorrel- Weeds home on the next corner so that was a plus. Either direction you traveled had wonderful historic parks and historic buildings. Although I did get told that I was staying in the most hated hotel because it had replaced the original historic Desoto hotel instead of remodeling it after purchased. All in all a nice stay just don't use Hotwire to book and don't tell the locals where you are staying.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Belinda L -Wow interesting, I appreciate your feedback. Not sure what the whole hated hotel thing is about from the local as this hotel opened in 1968 and has been renovated several times since then, The owners have tried to keep a lot of the old elegance in place so I can only assume the local you spoke to was going back to the very original Desoto and sometimes from a cost standpoint it's not realistic to renovate versus rebuild. Interesting feedback though and I appreciate the time you took to write and i am glad to see you enjoyed your stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Hilton Desoto on several occasions. It is in a great location just a few blocks from local shops and restaurants and has a great view of the city. Check- in has always been simple and this place is a blast on St. Patrick's Day! They also have a great breakfast buffet.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank spicypeppers
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Spiceypeppers- Thanks for the great feedback and we will see you for St. Pat's! Only 50 days to go!
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I "ran away" to Savannah for the night. Close enough to River Street for the fun, but far enough to be quiet. Our first room, 7th floor, had someone working above us with a steady tap, tap, tap. We requested another room and moved to the 11th floor. The room was clean and quiet. The beds were a bit smaller than a typical queen but comfortable with nice linens and pillows. My favorite feature of the room was the fact the windows opened! Wow, loved the fresh air and sounds of the night. The view of the bridge and waterfront was amazing! Slept wonderfully, enjoyed the staff - who were very helpful, and had a great time!

Room Tip: Rooms facing downtown offer a stunning view!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Rowena35984 - Thanks for taking the time to provide some great feedback! We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay overall and we look forward to your next getaway, thanks for staying with us and come see us again at the Hilton Desoto!
Madison, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We booked this hotel on Hotwire last minute and paid $96/night. It wasn't a bad price for being last minute, and we thought the location would be great. In fact, the location was the only decent thing about this hotel. When booking on hotwire, I understand I don't know what I'm booking, I didn't even know what type of beds we would have. I called and requested a king bed since it would be my husband and I. Upon arrival we were told they were almost sold out and didn't have any king rooms left, when we got up to the room they weren't even 2 queen beds, they were 2 double so my husband and I couldn't even sleep in the same bed during our stay. The room was small and old. The beds were not comfortable at all and the pillows aren't even worth mentioning. Even on the 12th floor there was a lot of street noise and if it weren't for us taking a much needed break from our 4 month old twins + 2 year old, it probably would have kept us awake. There is a sliding door out to a balcony that almost gave me a heart attack. When you walk out the door the guardrail doesn't even meet into the building, so I would NOT recommend this hotel for children, if they got onto that balcony they could slide through that area, or the rails themselves extremely easily. Also, the heater was extremely loud. Oh, and the plugs in the bathroom wouldn't even hold so my husband had to hold the plug in the outlet while I did my hair. The hotel itself is in need of some major updating, and the lobby is dark and not welcoming at all. The most helpful staff member was the valet when we checked in that helped us figure out where else to park since they only offer $20/night valet parking. We got lucky and nabbed a meter in the back of the hotel, they're free on weekends in Savannah. The location wasn't bad, but it was closer to the Forsyth Park area, where we spent most of our time headed towards the river. It's definitely walkable, but not a quick trip by any means.

2 Thank kpierce3986
Kpierce3986 - I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We are an older facility and we certainly try to maintain the hotel to the best of our abilities. The streets can be noisy at times and Savannah is bustling with activity on the weekends. The property was renovated about 3 years ago and the lobby was certainly part of this renovation, I was surprised on your feedback on this area. We do have rooms away from the streets on the backside however room choices are not guaranteed through Hotwire for any hotel, I would suggest utilizing the brand booking sites so you can get the room you really want especially when the hotels are busy. We would love to see you return and book through our hilton site and I can assure you we can make your stay more comfortable.
Tampa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

As a frequent Hilton patron, this was not all that impressive to me. We were very disappointed in our room "upgrade" which we paid extra for. It was located literally right outside of the elevator. We were kept up all night with noise and our sliding glass door rattled all night. Needless to say, we didn't sleep well at all. I'm not one to complain but I did talk to the front desk staff. They acted rather indifferent to our complaint. They did end up giving us a whopping $20 credit, but I suppose that's better than nothing. I'm a fan of the Hilton company but not a fan of this hotel. We will not be back to stay there.

1 Thank sunnyFLgirl81
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
SunnyFLgirl81 - I am sorry you were not happy with your stay, while we can do upgrades we do not know everyones tolerance for noise. We would love to have you come back and if you request a room away from the elevators we could certainly eliminate that problem. We continue to work on our sliding doors to make them less noisy and we appreciate the feedback so we can address the issues. Please come back and give us another opportunity to shine!
flo-ida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

We looked at lots of reviews on this hotel after booking blindly, some good, some bad..but happy to say we really were pleased. You must expect small spaces in this city- and the room might be a little on the small side, however it was perfectly pleasant.

The bathroom was modernized, with lovely Peter Thomas Roth toiletries, the beds were only full sized- certainly not queens. Our children were travelling with us or else we would've booked a king. The bedding was really nice and cozy, duvets and feather pillows.

There is some truth to the walls being thin- we didn't hear our neighbors,but there were lots of kids staying across the hall and we could hear them talking in the corridor while lying in our beds, I mean we could hear everything. Luckily we didn't have rowdy neighbors because I c
ould see myself getting annoyed if it kept me up,or my children. That's just one of those old hotel things tho,nothing to be upset about. I remember some reviews saying the elevators took forever, but we didn't have that problem-maybe more of an issue when hotel is really busy.

Ive seen what you get for your money at some hotels in this town,and this is very nice! The check in was easy, fast, and pleasant- the lobby is pretty although I didn't eat in the restaurant so I cant comment. There is a coffee bar in the lobby that serves starbucks also and probably muffins and fruit. In the neighborhood there are plenty of little places to get a snack-and fyi there is a cvs up the road in case you've forgotten anything.

Location was great for us, we parked our car at the hotel (ill admit I don't like the cost,although convenience won us out this trip as we knew we would be walking everywhere) and enjoyed the central location among forsyth park, lots of cute cafes and pubs. Less touristy than right on the river, which gets old to me quickly.

Note first timers there is a public bus called the dot that takes a big circle around. The historic district and is free. Look it up. It was a good way to get back to the hotel after one long day with kids. And you get to do a bit of sightseeing..

All in all a pleasant stay- housekeeping was right on top of replentishing toiletries,etc. Lobby and valet were great. Would certainly return if our travels took us this way again.

Room Tip: Higher up has better views,but elevators are a bit on the old side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
travelchic76 - Thank you for the positive feedback and for staying with us. While the hotel is older we certainly try to keep it up the best we can, the location is dynamic and certainly makes for a perfect setting to get to the river or Forsyth Park which gives you a great opportunity to see the squares and enjoy Savannah in general. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to your return!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had a great time st this hotel!!! Great hostess and great personnel!!! The rooms were very clean and decorated with taste! The rooms have a little balcony where you can breath fresh air,, conveniently located 10 mins walking distance to river walk and to the little churches. Very nice town...and lovely hoitel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
xsweteileenx - Thanks for taking the time to write and we truly appreciate the great fedback! Come see us again soon.