“Fabulous location!”

Ranked #45 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
columbus
“Fabulous location!”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

This review is late, as I was remiss in writing one last June when I stayed at the Desoto Hilton in Savannah-- since I have benefitted from others' reviews on trip advisor, I thought I should reciprocate. This hotel was a wonderfull place to stay. It's in a great location-- in the heart of the Historic District. We walked to many of the sites I wanted to see. If you want the Old Town Trolley, the stop is on the side of the hotel across the street. Very close. The rooms are clean, the staff was friendly and efficient, the elevators were fast, and the beds were very comfortable. Some reviews mentioned that the rooms needed updating-- depends on one's taste, I guess. I found the room to be charming and adequate. If you're a 'Midnight . . . ' fan you can walk to many of the book's locations including Clary's where the food is delicious. You can also walk to the BEAUTIFUL St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and Lafayette Square. When I go back to Savannah, the Desoto Hilton is where I'll stay!

Room Tip: I was told to get a corner room with balcony for best view-- I didn't. Next time I'll ask...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jrblum67
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
JRBlum67- Thank you for the kind review, if you like the old South and an older facility with nice enhancements we are your place in the heart of Savannah not by the river! Thanks for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed May 1, 2012

don't know about staying here, but we always make time and effort to eat at the lunch buffet here. $12.95 for seniors. fresh salads, several meats, fantastic desserts, drink, etc. It's fancy without being uncomfortable. Good service. In a city where food is overpriced and often small servings, we enjoyed the hilton buffet, once again. It's almost the same as it was a few yers ago. that's always a concern, but although it did have the middle bar gone, it was till sufficient and tasty.

1 Thank emptywallet
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Emptywallet - thanks for the feedback, nothing like fresh fried chicken and biscuits! Thanks for returning and we will see you in the future!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

We wanted to stay somewhere nice for our last night in Savannah after our beach wedding on Tybee. We were assigned a room with two double beds that was dirty everywhere walls, ceilings and bathroom. When we called down and asked for another room we were told there were not any other rooms, then called back a few minutes later saying we could get another room if we paid more for a king (we booked via the Internet). When I went to get the keys and told them in further detail about the room we were offered a free dessert and still paid for the "upgrade." The second room, though not as shabby, was not much better. It was loud (you could hear everything outside) and when showering if your neighbor flushed, you were scalded. Not a great experience. By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in Savannah.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank HRgirl0105
HRgirl0105 - Sorry your stay wasn't all you expected. We certainly try to make sure all experiences are good ones. We will certainly review procedures and make sure what you are specifying is addressed, my apologies and also congratulations!.
Heath
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Lunch was terriffic for $13.95 a person. Very good selection of piping hot food and a dessert bar.

Room Tip: Make sure you do the lunch buffet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Star V - Thanks for the positive feedback and come back and see us for Mother's day brunch!!
Princes Risborough, UK
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Ideally positioned in mid town about a 15 minute walk from the river. The lobby is very impressive. We had a room on high floor at end/side of hotel overlooking the cathedral, stunning view, room very clean and well serviced. Reception staff are excellent. The dining room lacks a little atmosphere, The breakfast and service were very good but the room is not inviting so we did not have dinner there. Pool area pleasant and we usually spent an hour or 2 there at end of days touring.
Savannah is a beautiful city and well worth a visit, take the trolley ride, you can get on and off at any stop and there are some baeutiful houses/buildings to see and visit.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
NGS44 - Thanks for the great feedback and for staying in the hostess city! I couldn't agree more on the beauty of it all! Come see us again soon.
Bluff City, Tennessee
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Most importantly, the room was clean.The beds were very comfortable. The coffee was excellent. The staff was very nice and went out of their way to be helpful. I had my doubts about the location since I had always stayed on Bay Street before, but these accomodations have become so expensive that I decided to try somewhere else. Actually, I prefer the central location of the Hilton DeSoto and it was much quieter than the Bay Street location. I would like to have seen a microwave/refrigerator combo in the room. Yes, you do have to pay an extra $18 per night for valet parking, but the room was so reasonable that it was still a good deal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank charjean
Charjean - Thanks for the great feedback, we are working on putting in refrigerators but only in our corner king rooms which are larger and can handle a refrigerator, there is a small upcharge for this room as it is larger and has a patio, give that a try next time you come in and thanks for giving us a try and for staying with us!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Upon looking at the entrance of this Hilton, I was beyond in awe! What beautiful entrance indeed! And the inside of the hotel was just as elegant and finishing wood touches here and there.

During my three day stay at this hotel for a business trip, the service I received at the Front Desk was just excellent! They checked my in quickly and smoothly! Gave my keys to my suite and asked me if I need any help getting to my suite. Which I thought was very nice of them to ask, But, I replied to them if they could just tell me where to go I should be fine. As well as they offered me a discount on a Starbucks coffee. Which I took it kindly, since I love Starbucks! To add one more note, the Front Desk was very friendly, and acknowledge me nearby restaurants that had the best quality in what they serve! Excellent Customer Service!

Anyways, went to my suite, and what a lovely suite it was! It was a King Bed Cityview guest suite It had a southern contemporary style with a very fine polish woodwork on some of furniture in the suites. There's 32-in flat screen on top of a long, polish-wooden desk. An alarm clock with a built-in MP3 connector on top of a lamp table by the bed. The bed felt soft and comfortable to sleep in, and sleep through the night I did!!!!! The pillows were as soft as the clouds!

As I entered the bathroom, I was welcomed with air of mixture of flowers and cleanliness. And I had everything I needed to have! The sink had the hotels complimentary hand soap, shampoo, and a conditioner. All in a good portion size! The mirror was was wiped and squeaky clean that you could see your reflection more clearly! The bathtub was white and sparkling clean. There were three wash clothes, three towel mats, and three drying towel all hand-up nicely on a holder by the bathtub. As well as the toilet was clean, had no spots or stains or any kind of smells whatsoever! I loved it!

On my second day, early in the morning, a housekeeper came and asked me if I need any more towels or anything else. I'm a clean, so I don't leave any suite in a hot mess. The only think I need to be replaced/restocked/changed was the trash can which wasn't even full and a wash cloth, a drying towel, and a light vacuum of the room! Which she did immediately! I mean, I would have expected of her to tell me she would do it later, but she said it was something she could it quickly and fast. And she sure did! In a matter of five minutes, she did everything I had asked her. After she left, the place was even more cleaner than before! I wished I had asked her name because she needs a bonus!

Anyways, I ordered a meal of lunch, and it was excellent! It was a tuna salad on a very beautiful porcelain plate. It had lettuce leaves encircling the the tuna with finely, extremely tiny cut onions and celery. I could tell by the taste that the cook really wanted me to taste the lightly flavor of cilantro. Which I couldn't see in the salad, but the taste was there. And it did add a nice taste to the tuna salad.

The towards the end of the day, I was preparing my things to leave for my next business trip to another hotel in New York. Received a phone call from the Front Desk, the lady had asked me if there was anything else I needed before I left. I replied to her that the only thing I needed was a container that could keep my coffee warm on my trip to New York. She replied that they have the a coffee warmer, I think that's what they call it, they could me coffee hot for almost twelve hours at no extra charge! How wonderful was that?!

Anyways, I left a tip in the hotel suite and a tip at the Front Desk. With the overall of this hotel experience I was extremely happy!!!!! I would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Businesstraveler1229
Kbrockway, General Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Businesstraveler1229 - Wow, I don't know what to say other than thank you so much! Truly a thorough review and I am glad we could hold up to the expectations on all fronts! Thnaks for the great feedback, i will certainly share with the team, safe travels!