“Nicely updated and modern”

Hilton Savannah Desoto
Ranked #45 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Sarasota, Florida
“Nicely updated and modern”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We felt so spoiled staying here because we normally couldn't afford a property this nice. We got a deal through Priceline and had an updated room with an excellent view. The rooms have been updated to a modern style. The best part was the Tempurpedic mattress. We slept so well that I hardly minded the constant sound of door slams in the morning because I kept falling back asleep. The doors have to be pulled hard to shut, so it is noisy in the morning. The staff was not friendly or helpful, except for the valet when he had to help us figure out where to park. We paid for a self-parking space, but when we returned to the hotel later that night, we were told the lot was full and we would have to park a block away. This was a big disappointment after paying so much for a space...they should warn you when you buy the spot that this is a possibility.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
SavannahDesoto, Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and slept well. I have shared your feedback with our staff and I do apologize that you were less than satisfied with our service. Our priority at the hotel is customer service and guest satisfaction – having your feedback helps us to ensure we keep focus of our guest. Once again thank you for being our guest and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Great location, reasonably priced garage parking, customer-service focused staff, Charles is an outstanding Concierge --- but the condition of the hotel is tired. We had a King corner room w/a lovely view, but the ceiling paint in the shower area was peeling, a faucet piece was missing, TV reception poor, amenities missing, notepad paper missing and no pen on desk. All somewhat small things, but gave the impression that the property was being neglected and not cared for as carefully as should be. Plus, my husband used the lobby level men's room --- very bad odor. Our b-fast experience in the restaurant in terms of service was excellent, however, the buffet was just o.k. Plus, if you're staying at the hotel more than a day or 2, it would be nice to see even a little variety from day-to-day on the buffet. Unless more attention is paid to the hotel overall, think I would try someplace else next time....even for a little more $$.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us and providing us your honest feedback. I have shared your positive comments with our staff as well as addressed the areas of maintenance and housekeeping. Our efforts are to continuously make improvement and ensure our guest have a pleasant experience at the hotel. We appreciate you being our guest and do hope that you give us another opportunity when you are in the Savannah area.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My room on the fourth floor was clean. The walls aren't all that thin - room was RIGHT next to the elevator banks and I didn't really hear people coming and going all that much.
The hotel is relatively close to the airport (15 min) and right in the middle of the Historic district. I got checked in quick. I was here on business so didn't get a chance to check out the pool. The gift shop is well-stocked with essentials which came in handy bc my suitcase never left ORD when I did. Guess it happens quite often when traveling to SAV. Tourism ploy I say ;)
Business center is seriously lacking. At first glance it has everything you need. However none of it works. I told the front desk and they were very helpful and made the copies I needed.
Coffee shop is good. Didn't eat at the one restaurant they have but did patronage the lobby bar. Carol is over-worked - be nice to her.
Bathroom is clean but not spacious, which was fine. Maids are nice, speak English and arrive in the middle of the day when I am out.
If I ever go back to SAV for fun, I will definitely stay at DeSoto due to its proximity (walking distance) to River St., Forsyth Park and City Market. Great Town! Great Hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the hotel. We appreciate your positive feedback and well as areas you mentioned that need improvement. Your feedback is valuable as guest satisfaction is our number one priority. Our central location is ideal in the Historic district when visiting Savannah with so many things to do and see. Thank you for being our guest. We hope to see you soon.
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Dirty/stained bed sheets and towels which was very disappointing!
Location is ok.
Restaurant service possibly worst restaurant service I have ever received - we did get an apology but still unsatisfactory.

• Stayed September 2011
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry that you received less than perfect level of service and amenities. I have addressed these issues with our housekeeping and restaurant staff. The next time you are in Savannah we would love to have you come back and experience a better level of customer service. Thank you once again for bringing these concerns to our attention. Thanks for being our guest.
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Room was clean parking is attached to the hotel 13 dollars a day which is not to bad. Room was clean, and hotel has a pool thatbis sufficient. Walking distance to riverstreet and Forsyth park.

• Stayed September 2011
SavannahDesoto, Manager at Hilton Savannah Desoto, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you for being our guest at the Hilton Savannah Desoto. I appreciate your feedback and positive review. We look forward to having you return back soon.

San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2011

While traveling home on a road trip after being in the Army my family and I stayed at Savannah Desoto Hilton. The stay was nice. However, at 8 PM the day we checked out (Aug 27) I realized we had forgotten my clothes that were in the closet. I immediately called the Desoto. I explained to the operator what happened and they connected me with housekeeping. Housekeeping said that I would have to leave a message with the head of housekeeping which i did. He called the next day and said "the maid must have forgotten to check the closet and that the next family in the room must have inadvertantly taken my clothes with theirs." I told him that I really didn't think someone would inadvertantly take 15 items on hangers. I then said that I don't care who has them I just want them back and would gladly pay for shipping. He the said "So, you left them here for us to mail to you?" I was so shocked at his statement that I asked to speak with his supervisor. After I was on hold for quite some time a person iddentifying themselves as a hotel assitant manager named Stephen was very polite in telling me he would look into it and call me back. I never heard back. Now, I do realize that it was my fault for leaving my clothes, but the poor way the Desoto Hilton handled the situation made me forever remember a bad experience associated with Savannah and Hilton.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MikeCollierSanAngelo
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I sincerely apologize if we did not meet up to the standards of service in dealing with your clothing that were left behind. I have addressed this with our housekeeping staff to ensure that in the future we do a better job in handling guest incidences. We are doing our best to locate your belonging's. In the meantime, please do reach out to me directly kchambless@desotohilton.com if you have any additional questions. Once again I apologize for any inconvenience.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

This is our 2nd time staying at The Desoto. We enjoyed it both times. The location is perfect for us since we enjoy walking the Savannah streets and The Desoto is centered in the historic district. Our room was cleaned each day, but thankfully the maid service did not arrive at the crack of dawn as is often the case. All the staff we came in contact with were very nice. The bar supplies a very generous glass of wine and the price is reasonable. The hotel seems to be quite popular with wedding parties as we saw three different ones when checking in. This is understandable since The Desoto is a very beautiful hotel. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you for being our return guest when visiting Savannah. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Our location is truly in the heart of the historic district and ideal for exploring Savannah. Hope to you see you back soon, Safe & Happy Travels!