“Will be back!”

Planters Inn on Reynolds Square
Ranked #19 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Just returned from a stay at the Planters Inn. Could not have asked for a better location, situated right in the middle of the historic district. Two blocks to the riverfront and right nextdoor to the Olde Pink House restaurant. All of the staff that we encountered were eager to help. This is a very old, historic property and has been beautifully restored. We did not rent a car, were able to walk or take the trolley or bus. The trolley and bus stop were only 1/2 block away. We were directly across the street from Reynolds Square. Will definately be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank goPelladutch
There are newer reviews for Planters Inn on Reynolds Square

Reviewed May 14, 2014

We have been to Savannah before and love it but had always stayed in larger chain hotels.
We had wanted to stay at the Planters Inn because of it's great location and old world charm.
I need to say that the staff and the service are excellent.. very helpful with tips about places to avoid ( always important in any city) and places to stroll. The Inn is walking distance to many great sites and galleries in Savannah..
The hotel rooms need to be updated and modernized.. And the breakfast that was included was very mediocre, more like a very average highway motel. There are some terrific bakeries in Savannah and it would have been great to have fewer but quality choices.

Room Tip: ask for a room that does not look out on the parking garage.. very noisy
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank taibel
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My friend and I stayed in two rooms at the Planters Inn in late April -- I had been to Savannah before but she had not. We were looking for a historic inn that wouldn't break our budget but that offered a good location and comfortable bed and room. The Planters Inn was quite affordable compared to other inns in Savannah, so we were good on that count.

The Inn itself is a little funky. I believe it is a three-star hotel masquerading as a five-star hotel. On the surface, the lobby is beautiful -- lots of comfy chairs and couches with tables in easy reach to place glasses or books and large windows out to the square and street. But then you look behind the mask and you see the odd modern trash can (full) crammed next to the front door and the luggage carts with apparently no other place to be stored than next to the front door or elsewhere around the lobby, like in front of the piano.

The complementary breakfast is the standard and good fare, fresh fruit, yogurts, bread and bagels for toasting, grits, eggs, dry cereals, etc. And the room is large enough to accommodate those who want to eat there with tables that are quickly cleaned; there are plenty of plates, silverware, etc., and condiments are plentiful. But when you exit the elevator to enter the breakfast room, you immediately face the tiny workroom/kitchen and sink used by the staff and are blocked by the open door to that room so your first impression is of dirty dishes and cleaning products, not the very nice buffet laid out just beyond the open door. I realize the logistics of the tiny kitchen and elevator make this problematic, but still....

Much is made in other reviews of the view out of most of the rooms – which is the parking garage across the street. I sincerely appreciated these reviews since I made sure our rooms faced the park/square in front with only the side windows facing the parking garage. I got the high balcony room for my friend, but it turned out the door is very hard to open (she called the front desk who sent someone up but she was unable to get it open herself after that), but the view to the park was wonderful and we were able to ignore the view to the garage.

The rooms were fabulous – sumptuous beds with great pillows and linens. Comfortable chairs high enough for those with issues standing up or putting on shoes, but comfy enough to sit and watch tv. Coffee maker is on a nice table in the room which is charming and civilized (unlike other hotels where it is next to the bathroom); ice is delivered with the turn down service which is very nice. The bathroom is of a size one would expect in the city; water pressure is great and hot water shows up almost immediately.

The folks working at the Planters Inn are an interesting mix. I strongly believe in shadow of the leader, so their behavior I’m sure is matched/directed by the Inn Manager. Here’s some for examples: Sunday morning about 8:30, I sat in the lobby reading a book waiting for my companion. A member of the staff was vacuuming the lobby which was only peripherally annoying (why not at 6?) but then she got to me and bumped my chair as she vacuumed under my feet and around me. Yes, I could move and I did; she eventually sought me out at my new location and I had to move again. She was undeterred in her mission by folks needing to be heard as they were checking out or people attempting to converse with their coffee. On another occasion, I exited the elevator to find the two bell people sitting in chairs facing me. They said good morning and asked if I needed anything, but made no attempt to get up or even gave the semblance that they had anything better to do than sit and talk. On another occasion, when I exited the elevator into the breakfast room, the attendant(?) was right there three feet from me, but didn’t look up from what she was doing (not ‘real’ work). Over the course of our stay, I spoke with everyone who worked behind the front desk, and they often had that tiny little twinge of gee I really don’t want to help you but what do you want look before they responded. I realize that each of these sounds very, very picky – but it is this that keeps the Planters Inn from really being a four- or five-star hotel, and keeps it from getting a five circle rating.

All that having been said, yes, I would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: Facing the square has the only view, all others are of the parking garage.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Roxanneboscobel
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We had reservations to visit last October, for a birthday celebration. The rooms were very well appointed, complimentary bottle of wine was a nice surprise, and parking was a real convenience. Right next to The Pink House restaurant and easy walking distance to everywhere. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend The Planters Inn to anyone visiting beautiful Savannah!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Savannahtraveler2014
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I have been to Savanna before and stayed in one of the major hotels. This time I wanted to experience the 'real' Savanna. This place was just what we wanted. Across from a park, a few blocks from the river and walking distance from everywhere we wanted to go. The room was clean and comfortable. The service was wonderful, willing to make sure we were happy. Need ice? They bring it to your room. We had wine and cheese in the lobby and visited with other guests. We had a room that looked toward the parking garage but we didn't care. We spent our time outside, enjoying the city. We will return.

Room Tip: If you need a room with a view, request it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My mother and I stayed at the Inn 5 days in late April 2014 and really enjoyed this hotel. The location of the Inn is just spectacular sitting off the main streets and right across from beautiful Reynolds Square. Our room was nice although a little small and yes, the view was the top of the garage (we were on the 7th floor). This is to be expected though when you are in the very small historic district (2.2 sq. miles I think) of Savannah. Reynolds Square, easy walking to shopping and restaurants and the quiet peacefulness of this Inn more than made up for that! Be sure to let the wonderful concierge Karen make reservations for you at one of the many restaurants, especially for the weekend, since they do book up fast. The social hour with wine, cheese and fruit was so nice and the breakfast was way more then I had imagined. This is a great place to stay in Savannah!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed here for two nights in late April of 2014. The Inn was busy with many guests, but everyone was made to feel welcome, the room and bath were clean and convenient, and quiet ion the evening. A nice touch was the wine and cheese being served in the late afternoon in the lobby. We tried to get a table at The Pink House (owned by the Inn) but it was completely booked both evenings, but we did get a (first come - first served) table at The Tavern, also owned by the Inn. We would stay at the Inn any time we're in Savannah in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side opposite to the parking garage.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple