“Awesome service and friendliness”
Review of The Marshall House

The Marshall House
Ranked #4 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed January 30, 2010

I was a bit apprehensive traveling alone and not familiar with this hotel. Upon my arrival, I was greated with the door being opened and a friendly face at the front desk. When requested, items were promptly brought to my room without hesitation. The rooms were perfect and very true to the Savannah tradition. The location is walking distance to the river, but right in the middle of shopping and restaurants. Plus, there is a sub place across the street, a great Thai restaurant and a CVS around the corner. I felt very safe and everyone was willing to help me with whatever I needed. There is only a shower in the queen rooms, but that was perfect for just me. The breakfast was ok, fresh fruit was great! Thumbs up for this place!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Marshall House

Reviewed January 27, 2010

The hotel is overall very nice. It is elegant and classy and is a beautiful piece of history. The rooms we're nice and clean, although our view of the atrium, where breakfast is eaten, wasn't too nice. Oh, and the rooms are a tad cramped, but it didn't bother me too bad. The staff was extremely courteous and hospitable. The bellman was very kind and happy to see us when we arrived, which was nice. The people at the front desk were just as friendly.
The first night we stayed there, we heard the sound of a lady walking in high heels all night long. The next morning when we reported it to the front desk, they said bluntly, "Oh it's probably just our ghost."
The next night I woke up to the sound of water running and to my surprise, the faucet in the bathroom was on. It wasn't just a drip. It had literally been turned on.
The third night we actually heard someone running in the room above me. Upon telling the staff we were told the entire floor above us was empty.
So if you're looking for a ghostly experience, definitely consider this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

Last August, My girlfriend and I took a trip to Savannah and stayed at the Marshall House. We both loved the hotel. The staff & hotel were both great. I proposed while on the trip and the staff members that we had met were very excited for us. They went out of their way to make the trip special. See some things I really liked below.

- Balcony Rooms: We stay in one of these and it was great to be able to sit in a rocking chair on the balcony (shared with 5 or 6 other rooms) and enjoy the breeze and a drink. Room was very nice with at least 12 foot ceilings and a flat screen tv. The room even had a small mini-frig. build in the nightstand.
- Staff: The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone from the front desk to the valet, they were great.
- Location: Everything is within walking distance. River Street and great restaurants are just a few blocks away.

We have only stayed in Savannah once, but when we go back we will definately stay at the Marshall House again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2010

This historic hotel was awesome. We stayed one night for my husband's 50th birthday. We got to our room and there were balloons and a card waiting for him. We had a wine and cheese reception and a delicious deluxe continental breakfast. Some people wrote they were disappointed with this, but continental means, pastry, fruit, juice, and hot beverages in most US hotels. They had two kinds of quiche, hot biscuits, cereal, juices, fruit, yogurt, coffee and tea. Very yummy!

Our room was beautiful and had a balcony overlooking Bull Street. I liked this, but am a light sleeper so I was awakened a lot, but I knew that might happen.

I left something in my car and the valet promptly retried it for me. You do have to pay for parking, but that's common in a city.

The location was perfect and was easy to all walk to all the things we wanted to see.

I would definately stay here again.

Thanks, Shannon!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SherryAuthor
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We stayed in the Mary Marshall suite for one night and the rooms were roomy, tastefully decorated, clean and well presented. The location of the hotel could not be faulted either as it is in the heart of what is a surprisingly small and compact downtown. My but comes with a number of small niggles that I didn't expect from a hotel of the is quality. Firstly you have to phone the hotel to reserve the Mary Marshall room otherwise you could be put into one of the other 2 suites which don't have a balcony. When you do speak to reservations you find out that the room costs $20 more, which, as far as I could see, is not on their website. At bthe time of booking the hotel were running an offer which included a tour of Savannah when you booked but on arrival the hotel did not honour this claiming it was only for "specials2. They did have an offer running in January for a less expensive room but would not give aus the tour. The bed is meant to be turned down, which it wasn't, there is a bath and 2 showers in the bathroom which is very convenient but there was only one shampoo and conditioner and no shower cap at all. There was only one regular coffee sachet and one decaf sachet and only one little pack of regular milk and 2 of flavoured milk and no tea. There is a card in your room that we found that says if you need anything just call them but as we used the showers and coffee making facilities on the morning we were leaving it was a bit late and I would expect that a hotel of this standard to have the rooms fully equipped without the guests having to do the work of the senior housekeeper and identifying what was not in the rooms.And now for the cover up ....when we checked out, we received our invoice and feedback card in a folder as well as a card that reads "If you enjoyed your staywe would sincerely appreciate you writing a review online at Tripadvisor.com, Travelocity.com, Expedia.com or any other website that accepts hotel guests feedback" It then reads .. "If you did not enjoy your stayfor any reasonplease let us know so we can make very effort to make it right" which is a bit late!!! Surely a hotel of the quality of the Marshall House should be able to accept the bad with the good and not try and "hush up" the things they don't get right. When we did check out no one at reception asked us if we had enjoyed our stay or if we had had any problems. Fundamental on departure I would have thought. Despite all of this I would recommend this hotel and hope that other guests are not bothered by the iritating problems we had. I can't comment on the quality of the restaurant as we changed our minds and decided not to eat in the hotels excellent restaurant and took our business and $s to another fine eatery in Savannah.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PsychoEdinburgh
Reviewed January 10, 2010

A trip to Savannah, GA must be coupled with a stay at this historic hotel. Well situated along the shopping district, East Broughton St and within near access to restaurant-lined River St, the hotel offers more than one imagines. The Queen room I stayed in is small but very comfortable. A music player is available for one who likes to relax on the bed with soothing tunes. The hotel welcomes guests to a good spread of wine, biscuit and cheese on selected evenings on the relaxing couch in the Library and this makes a good chance for one to meet fellow travelers. The breakfast is sumptuous and the hotel staff extremely hospitable and caring. This hotel is intricately decorated with ornaments of its past, and yet its lavishness remains so unpretentious.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Stayed for 2 nights over new years at the Marhall house. Can't beat the location, only blocks away from popular areas, e.g. market square, river front. Stayed in a room on the 3rd floor, nicely decorated, flat screen TV, good sized bathroom, very comfortable bed and linens. Room also included a small fridge which was handy. The Inn is pretty large, with an attached bar, lobby/sitting area and glass enclosed courtyard where breakfast is served. The only disappointment was the ordinary breakfast, was more of a holiday inn kind of buffet, nothing special and what was on offer was not always replenished. Valet parking is available, kind of expensive at $15 a day, but I guess par for course in Savannah. Overall nice stay, comfortable and clean rooms, period furniture and decor, and a great location.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple