“Incredible historic hotel”
Review of The Marshall House

The Marshall House
Ranked #5 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed August 26, 2013

When I was planning our trip to Savannah I knew I wanted to stay somewhere historic with a story to tell. The Marshall House was just that. The location was wonderful and the hotel is just beautiful. Our room was on the smaller side, but are comfortable enough for my family of four. The staff oozed southern hospitality and really worked to ensure your stay was pleasant. They seemed to really love their job. Check-in was easy and the doormen very helpful. After giving us a few minutes to check in the front desk called to make sure we were comfortable in our room and ask if there was anything we needed. At some point I mentioned leaving my charger at a previous hotel and one was brought up about 10 minutes later for use during my stay. If I had to site any negatives it would be that the hotel is pretty pricey. In fact I was only able to book for 1 night out of our trip, but it was worth it for the experience. Additionally, there is a fee for parking, but this is pretty standard in the city. Breakfast was included, but it was just average.. All said, this was one of my best hotel experiences ever....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 26, 2013

By the time I realized that this hotel really is haunted, it was too late to cancel my reservation -- there is a significant requirement for refunds. My daughter and I were very worried; my husband knew what he was in for. In fact, he stayed here for about three weeks (ten years ago), and actually had a 'ghostly' experience. He awoke in the middle of the night, and thought he saw a woman in his room at the bottom of the bed. In the morning, his server overheard him talking to a co-worker, and asked what he thought the woman looked like. When he described his vision, the server pointed to a painting on the wall, and asked if that was her (which, of course, it was!). Even so, he wasn't concerned about staying here again. We didn't have any visitors, but my daughter and I didn't sleep very well, either. This is NOT my idea of a vacation, and I won't be back. Historical hotels are not for me.

Room Tip: I understand that the fourth floor is more likely haunted than the other three.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

What a great old hotel this is! The staff is way friendly and helpful, the room was extremely clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was eager to suggest points of interest close by, and all their suggestions were spot on. The hotel is located so close to everything in the historic district that we never needed out car. Walking is a great way to get around, but we also hired a bicycle cab for a late evening spin around the historic area. This is a place we are anxious to return to!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just pay the money and stay here--it's in the heart of things so you can walk everywhere. You'll have to park the car in a nearby garage (and pay for it), but it's worth getting out on foot. The rooms are not the highlight--it's the lobby. The breakfast room is sunny and bright, yet air-conditioned. There is a wine and cheese reception in the afternoon. We loved it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I presume that like much of Savannah, The Marshall House is driven by a tourist economy. We had booked a stay at The Marshall House, flying there from Houston, TX. But a forecast of bad weather forced us to change plans. Imagine our surprise that a tourist hotel would NOT give us a refund on our credit card. Every other hotel I've stayed at - and the ones in Charleston and Myrtle Beach gladly refunded our credit card because of the bad weather. I'm shocked and disappointed at a tourist hotel with this policy. Their solution was for us to "reschedule in 3 months". We're flying from Houston. It's NOT a casual thing. Shame on The Marshall House.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Ron K
BBSavannah1, Manager at The Marshall House, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

This guest booked a special-offer Advanced Purchase Rate, which we offer with a steep discount and a non refundable cancellation policy. The Terms and Conditions for this special rate are agreed to prior to the completion of the reservation. While it is the Marshall House policy that these reservations cannot be changed, cancelled or moved, we did offer this guest an alternative arrangement due to his situation, by allowing him to extend his reservation three months. In the summer months, it is quite common to receive flood warnings in the lower areas of the Coastal Georgia Low Country. Fortunately, Savannah's Historic District is not in a low-lying area, and The Marshall House and its guests enjoyed beautiful weather last weekend.
- Russ Mitchell, Innkeeper, The Marshall House

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I could not have been happier in my wildest dreams! I drove through Savannah and had the urge to see the city so I had no idea where I would stay so I looked on Trip Advisor. The staff were so accommodating and found me a room with the claw bathtub for a great price. The room was absolutely beautiful with great views of Broughton St. Breakfast was fantastic and the homemade biscuits with jelly were divine. My only gripe was how loud it was early morning with people above and the Creaking wood floors. The hallways are extremely loud too so if your looking to sleep in, see if they have a 4th floor with no close neighbors. It was a great overnight stay!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Just a few blocks from river. Attentive staff, very courteous. Love the old wooden floors and mix of old and new. Comfy beds! Street noise muted well for the most part. Fun to people watch from the shared balcony. Best hotel experience to date. Had ordered wine and cheese, chocolate covered strawberries for arrival and it was in room ready when we checked in even though we were early, but they had just put it out (ice wasnt melted at all). They called ahead to know when to place it. Would stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Get a veranda room. Makes it perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple