“Great Place to Stay”
Review of The Marshall House

The Marshall House
Ranked #5 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at this property because we were attending a wedding reception at the hotel. We booked room 215 which had a King Bed and also had a balcony. The balcony can only be reached if you book one of the special 2'nd floor rooms facing the street. The balcony is accessed through a window in the room. If you have mobility problems this could be an issue. The room was spacious and decorated nicely with extremely high ceilings. The bathroom was a tad small, but very clean. The bathroom contained a claw foot tub with a shower attachment. Some people in previous reviews complained about street noise, which there is, but it wasn't as loud as some past reviewers made it sound. The king bed slept great. I heard some of the rooms were a bit small.

The ambiance of the hotel made this stay worthwhile. Also the location is in the middle of the historic district, in which you can walk to a plethora of historic buildings, restaurants, shops, etc. A breakfast is served in an atrium that includes quiche, bagels, cereals, etc. Also on most nights there is a wine and cheese reception. Did not see or hear any ghosts though.

Will definitely stay here again and would recommend this place to others. There is valet parking for $15.00 per night, but there is a multi-level city garage right behind the hotel. You can either pick up a parking pass from the visitor center or pay the daily rate at the garage.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,920)

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I wanted to stay in the central historic district and this hotel was perfect. Walking distance to everything. I stayed in the Mary Marshall Suite and found it had ample amenities for a historical hotel. The staff answered all my questions and fulfilled my needs. They do not have room service so if you want something late at night forget it. Overall it was very nice.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife and I went to Savannah for the first time this week and we were blown away by this hotel! We purposely chose the hotel given its historical significance and location. We often choose our accomodations based on the same criteria when travelling and therefore have stayed at a number of wonderful historic hotels. From the moment we pulled up and Bernard helped us to the time we left, it was a first class experience. We arrived right as the guest reception was taking place and it felt like home. The hotel lobby, library and bar were breathtaking and overflowing with charm. Our room (balcony level) was VERY spacious, beautifully restored and appointed. We loved the 12 foot ceilings and original floors..oh and did I mention the black and white checkered porcelain mosaic tile and clawfoot tub in the bathroom...amazing. Brant was a class act with our reservation to dinner and anything else we might possibly need. No suprise, but the complimentary breakfast was excellent and all the items appeared to be made from scratch. The atrium in which breakfast was served was equally as beautiful as the other areas in the hotel. It truly couldn't have been any better! Will never stay anywhere else in Savannah.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony room, it's worth it!
1  Thank Jason B
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just love the ambiance in this old historic hotel which is centrally located for walking to all the major attractions and restaurants. The lobby is cozy and has a free wine and cheese reception each evening and a wonderful free breakfast in the atrium with quiche and other standard items.
Even the in-room coffee is good...which usually isn't the case! The decor is very lovely. They have a bar with alot of atmosphere and the staff is very friendly and courteous. The only downside is that you either self park for $10 min. per day or valet for $15. per day. with unlimited in and out priveleges. We had a superior king room and it was very spacious. You do have to remember it is a pre civil war building and the floors are uneven and the woodwork is old...but the charm and all the artwork is well worth it. Each floor has a different theme artwork relevant to the history of Savannah. It's almost like a museum! One small complaint, the housekeeping wasn't complete...the shampoo and toilet paper weren't replenished and the coffee grinds weren't cleaned out of the pot.

Room Tip: We asked for a room overlooking Brougton street, but there really is no view worth seeing from the t...
2  Thank LInda Z
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband suprised me with a trip to savannah for my birthday. We are both interested in the paranormal so I was excited to hear that we would be staying at the oldest hotel in the city and learn of its history. I work in the hospitality industry for Marriott so I have a very high standard for customer service and was totally satisfied by how attentive and eager the staff was. The rooms were clean and breakfast was good for being complimentary. The hotel had so much charm I love historic buildings and the original wood floors and old fixtures of the hotel made it precious to me. The only negative was a wedding party had the bar booked and I wasn't able to get a mint julep! We were also happy to have had an experience with the paranormal. We stayed in room 319 and while my husband and I were resting in bed watch a football game before heading to dinner the lid to my suitcase which was sitting on the luggage rack opened and was dropped closed. That totally made our whole trip!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

we had a great time at the Marshal house. The staff seemed to truly enjoy their job and were great. They made it easy to hang around the front room. Savannah is a great city and this is a great location from which to explore.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank NicaRider
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is really a charming hotel which has a “different” style. It has a lot of character, warm and nice atmosphere. The service is of very good quality, starting with the valet parking and including the complete staff. The rooms are clean, they are furnished in an old fashion style, but very comfortable. The welcome drink (wine and cheese) was also highly appreciated. I stayed only one night at the Marshal House, it made my stay in Savannah very enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business