“Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Savannah!”
Review of The Marshall House

The Marshall House
Ranked #4 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Westfield, New Jersey
“Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Savannah!”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife and I went to Savannah for the first time this week and we were blown away by this hotel! We purposely chose the hotel given its historical significance and location. We often choose our accomodations based on the same criteria when travelling and therefore have stayed at a number of wonderful historic hotels. From the moment we pulled up and Bernard helped us to the time we left, it was a first class experience. We arrived right as the guest reception was taking place and it felt like home. The hotel lobby, library and bar were breathtaking and overflowing with charm. Our room (balcony level) was VERY spacious, beautifully restored and appointed. We loved the 12 foot ceilings and original floors..oh and did I mention the black and white checkered porcelain mosaic tile and clawfoot tub in the bathroom...amazing. Brant was a class act with our reservation to dinner and anything else we might possibly need. No suprise, but the complimentary breakfast was excellent and all the items appeared to be made from scratch. The atrium in which breakfast was served was equally as beautiful as the other areas in the hotel. It truly couldn't have been any better! Will never stay anywhere else in Savannah.

Room Tip: Choose a balcony room, it's worth it!
1 Thank Jason B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
Hampstead
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We just love the ambiance in this old historic hotel which is centrally located for walking to all the major attractions and restaurants. The lobby is cozy and has a free wine and cheese reception each evening and a wonderful free breakfast in the atrium with quiche and other standard items.
Even the in-room coffee is good...which usually isn't the case! The decor is very lovely. They have a bar with alot of atmosphere and the staff is very friendly and courteous. The only downside is that you either self park for $10 min. per day or valet for $15. per day. with unlimited in and out priveleges. We had a superior king room and it was very spacious. You do have to remember it is a pre civil war building and the floors are uneven and the woodwork is old...but the charm and all the artwork is well worth it. Each floor has a different theme artwork relevant to the history of Savannah. It's almost like a museum! One small complaint, the housekeeping wasn't complete...the shampoo and toilet paper weren't replenished and the coffee grinds weren't cleaned out of the pot.

Room Tip: We asked for a room overlooking Brougton street, but there really is no view worth seeing from the t...
2 Thank LInda Z
Lakeland, FL
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband suprised me with a trip to savannah for my birthday. We are both interested in the paranormal so I was excited to hear that we would be staying at the oldest hotel in the city and learn of its history. I work in the hospitality industry for Marriott so I have a very high standard for customer service and was totally satisfied by how attentive and eager the staff was. The rooms were clean and breakfast was good for being complimentary. The hotel had so much charm I love historic buildings and the original wood floors and old fixtures of the hotel made it precious to me. The only negative was a wedding party had the bar booked and I wasn't able to get a mint julep! We were also happy to have had an experience with the paranormal. We stayed in room 319 and while my husband and I were resting in bed watch a football game before heading to dinner the lid to my suitcase which was sitting on the luggage rack opened and was dropped closed. That totally made our whole trip!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

we had a great time at the Marshal house. The staff seemed to truly enjoy their job and were great. They made it easy to hang around the front room. Savannah is a great city and this is a great location from which to explore.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank NicaRider
Antony, France
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is really a charming hotel which has a “different” style. It has a lot of character, warm and nice atmosphere. The service is of very good quality, starting with the valet parking and including the complete staff. The rooms are clean, they are furnished in an old fashion style, but very comfortable. The welcome drink (wine and cheese) was also highly appreciated. I stayed only one night at the Marshal House, it made my stay in Savannah very enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank patrick f
Rincon, Georgia
Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you want a great, clean, historic inn this is for you. The staff is very generous. The rooms are clean, historic with beautiful hardwood floors and furnishings. The rooms also have the best of modern technology with flat screeen tvs, and wi-fi. It's a modern romantic place! Enjoy

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I arrived with my Mom on a Sunday evening and the only negative I have is that there was no one at valet and the young lady working at reception had not a clue what to do with my car. Luckily the Conceirge was also present and as soon as he hung up, he asked for my keys, gave me a claim ticket and made sure to document any damage. My first 2 keys did not work and when I ran down to exchange them, she did tell me to call from the house phone if the new ones did not work and she would send somone up. Sure enough, they did not work and true to her word, she sent an employee up with new keys within a minute or two, literally. The 3rd set worked.

That was the end of any inconveniences we encountered. The Room, 208 (double queen) was very spacious, clean and inviting. The beds were comfortable, with an abundance of pillows and comfy bedding.The windows in our room overlooked what is now an interior courtyard. This is not usually my favorite location due to noise but there was none. The bathroom was clean and spacious and well appointed as well.

The Marhsall House offers a wine and cheese happy hour from 5:30 - 7:00 every evening. Both nights it was well attended and we struck up a conversation with a couple of other guests and met some new people which was nice. The wine and cheese were pretty basic, as you might expect for complimentary, but the atmosphere in the lounge was excellent.

Complimentary continental breakfast is also offered every morning and the it was quite nice for complimentary and continental. The offerings included: toast, bagels, 2 types of quiche, biscuits, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal assortment, muffins and pasteries, apple and orange juice and coffee. The courtyard that our room overlooked is where breakfast is served and it also was a very nice atmosphere.

The Marshall House itself is a beautiful property, with its history evident everywhere: original floors, and original guestroom doors. It has a long and interesting history, having just been restored in 1999 after nearly 50 years of being boarded up. We took a ghost tour and The Marshall House was on it, but sadly we had no enounters;)

We booked the ghost tour through the concierge, who was incredibly helfpul. This was a pleasant surprise as I had emailed the concierge prior to our visit and did not receive a reply.

The location of the hotel is perfect. You are literally within walking distance of everything. I will have hard time trying any where else in Savannah after our stay here.

Room Tip: Only a few rooms have windows that open on the 2nd floor balcony, so make sure you request this feat...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends