“Pros and Cons (There are both)”

Hyatt Regency Savannah
Ranked #31 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 6, 2009

My wife and I just finished a 2 night, one day stay over the fourth of July at this hotel.

Pros
Location Location Location. We had a one bedroom balcony king room with a great view of the river. The hotel is also centrally located in the Savannah Historic District....all within easy walking distance. The view of the fireworks display on the river was very good. Room was clean.

Cons

Furniture and drapes were dated and worn. Chair had stains on the side. Sheer curtains had cigarette holes burned in them in at least two spots. Balcony over river is so narrow that it's standing room only. No leg room for chairs. Bathroom is dated. Toilet is very low to the floor. Walls are so thin that I could hear people in the room next door when they were speaking in conversational tones. This is a problem for me in the wee hours of the morning. This room "felt" like it had experienced a spring break type atmosphere. The bed mattress was ok but nothing special. Guests here are encouraged to use "self-service" check-in and check-out. This is nice in the sense that it is efficient but lessens the human contact required for feeling like you are in a truly service oriented facility. Also, our pricing (well above $300 per night) included a $20 per night credit for room service, food. etc. The problem here is that the credit was not automatically applied to my bill at checkout and if I had not reviewed the charges and asked for correction, I would not have received this credit. Internet use will trigger additional charges.

Overall It was a positive experience thanks to the historic district which is beautiful and interesting. Next time, I'll probably try another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Savannah

Reviewed June 17, 2009

We stayed for three nights and had a wonderful time. We were met at the door by two people that parked the car and took our luggage to the room. I hate paying so much for parking, but it is that way everywhere.
The young lady at the desk was very helpful and even though we used Hotwire she gave our rooms close together and we had a river view. Very nice.
The room was very clean and I am picky. Nothing special to the room, but a clear 3-star hotel room. The bathroom was small, but I am not sure what they can do about that. Securtiy was good. You need a key to even get up the elevator.
The coffee shop was good. Fast and friendly service. We did not eat at the hotel.
Large, but average first floor. Comfortable chairs, but not fancy.
They do try and steer you to the more expensive tours that were not worth the extra price.
Valet parking was speedy and professional. The valets always checked to see if we needed directions.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We celebrated our 37th anniversary at the Hyatt Regency Savannah. We had not stayed at this hotel before, although we had been to the area numerous times in the last 15 years. From the moment we checked in with 'Hemal' at the desk, we were treated royally. We were upgraded to a riverview suite then Hemal asked if he could send us a gift for our anniversary. Later, a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries arrived. When we gave our luggage to 'Tequila', her enthusiasm for her work and for Savannah beamed through as she told us about the hotel and special places we might want to see. On our way to tour Savannah the next day, we stopped to let the housekeeper know we were leaving the room. Never have we had a housekeeper like Miss May Belle! She asked if there was anything we needed in the room; extra coffee? more towels? shampoo? and then...she THANKED US for staying at the hotel and helping to provide her with a job! WOW!
The waitstaff in the restaurant were prompt and professional, smiling all the time! The gentlemen who valeted the car were bright and cheerful, always addressing us when we saw them. We could not have been made to feel more welcome!
When we had to leave one day early, the on duty manager (Chris?) came right away to see if there was a problem or anything the hotel could do. It was no fault of the hotel or staff...we simply had to leave early.
I would highly recommend the Hyatt for the gracious and talented staff they have. If the heart of hospitality is making guests feel special, then the Hyatt Regency has truly achieved their goal!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2009

Upon arrival, we were advised at the desk that our prepaid reservation made through Hotwire was good only for either a King Size bedded handicapped room overlooking the elevators or a standard room with two beds overlooking the atrium. If we wanted a room with an outside view, the cost would be an additional $75 per night. We were also advised that parking would cost an additional $19 per night. We decided to take the handicapped room anyway, and we got a room with no tub and a shower with no ledge so that the bathroom tended to flood a bit when using the shower. The room also tended to vibrate. In fairness, the room was clean and roomy and the hotel was very well located, but we did not, in our opinion, receive.what was promised to be a four star hotel experience.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FloridaTravelinGuy
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Savannah is such a charming, historic city, and this hotel is a little too boring and corporate looking. It is a nice enough hotel. The rooms were clean, and the beds were comfy, but it is definately missing the ambiance of Savannah. The pool is a disaster. It is tiny and just an awful pool area, you could find better at a roadside motel. The staff was friendly. The thing about the hotel is the location. You are convienent to River Street, convenient to downtown, and right on Bay Street should you decide to drive out to Tybee. I booked on Hotwire for $149 a night (not bad considering I was there memorial weekend). I wouldn't have wanted to pay much more. I've stayed at three hotels in Savannah: The Westin, the Hyatt, and the Marriott. The Hyatt had the best location by far, but otherwise the other two are better. On a side note, they have the fastest elevators I've been in.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Excellent location, nice views overlooking the Savannah River, friendly staff, beautiful hotel lobby. Rooms are "somewhat" updated but they didn't complete the job. The Bathrooms desperately need to be renovated and new carpet & drapes in the rooms. My biggest complaint is that the bathroom was not very clean. The toilet bowl was stained, flimsy plastic seat, thin towels and the floor was dirty. I expected more from a Hyatt Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I received this hotel off of Priceline. I was more than satisfied with my stay for the price I paid.

The hotel is located on the main strip of the Historical District by the river. It is the big, unsightly yellow building. It is difficult to miss it. However, its location is perfect for tourists like myself. It was easy to walk around and soak in the Historical District without having to worry about driving anywhere. I definitely recommend this location for those that want to stay central to the tourist attractions.

The hotel offers $18 overnight valet parking. You can call ahead for your car and it was ready on the motor car floor. Very convenient, but it does add up quickly since it is customary to tip before/after you get your car. Another option is to park in a public garage in the area, as there are many within walking distance. I believe you have to pay from 8AM - 5PM. It is free otherwise. I also saw parking spots along the streets in the area, but I would imagine it would be difficult to find parking on the weekends.

The room we got off of Priceline was not river view. The front desk stated it would be $50 more for a river view room. We got a room on the 4th floor overlooking the front of the hotel, which was perfectly fine.

It was large, spacious, comfortable and clean. I was very pleased. The room has good-sized bathroom with ample counter space. They provided toiletries, very pleased with the small toothpaste they also included. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. The TV was a small flat screen TV with HBO. Unfortunately, the internet was not free. They offer T-Mobile Hot Spot for $10/day. I read that there was free wi-fi in the Historical District, but it was not accessible from our room.

Overall, very pleased with the hotel and I could've easily stayed there for more than the one night we were in Savannah. Though we got a great deal off of Priceline, I would've been content even paying the price off of Hyatt's website, as it is competitively priced.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple