“Very pleased with the Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Savannah
Ranked #30 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 12, 2009

Having just come from one of the worst hotels we'd ever stayed at (see Review for Holiday Inn Midtown) the Hyatt was a treat! They have valet parking (it's required, but it's an additional $20 so be forewarned) and Front Desk people were very friendly. Check-in was very quick. The Bell Staff was very good and attentive. We booked an Atrium facing room on the 6th floor with a King Bed. The room was very nice and clean - no strong odors. The only bad thing I could say would be that the bathroom needed a little updating. The paint was chipping slightly on the bathroom counter (not the top, but the sides) and there was a slight sour smell to the inner shower curtain. The bed was very comfortable and it was very quiet! They have a lounge at Lobby Level called the Vu Lounge. It has an outside seating area that overlooks River Street - great views. We ate at the restaurant (Windows) for breakfast the next morning and it was DELICIOUS! We ordered off the menu b/c the buffet was a little pricey ($16) and we didn't think we could get our money's worth. I got the Zucchini and Cheese Fritatta and it was superb. My husband got the 2 egg breakfast (scrambled with ham, hashbrowns, and white toast) and he said it was cooked well. The best part of breakfast was that we were seated right at the window overlooking the Savannah River - gorgeous views! The bill was still a little high (totalled around $30 for the 2 meals plus I got coffee, hubby got water) but the food and view was worth it to me. Plus we had a $20 food and beverage credit that came with the Savannah Getaway special that is going on until March. Check-out was very smooth also. Bell Staff arrived within minutes of requesting them and our vehicle was waiting for us out front when we got there. The location of this hotel is really what attracted us to it. It is VERY centrally located plus it's right on the water. An elevator takes you down to River Street or you can walk out the front onto Bay Street (it's located right behind and a little West of City Hall). Other reviewers are right in that it doesn't look like much from the outside and it's a shame that they couldn't have built it in keeping with the other architectural styles of Historic Savannah. But, it's a good decent hotel from the inside that was worth the $169/night plus 13% tax plus $1 Savannah hotel fee plus $20 valet parking fee = $191.97.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeeDeeMac
Write a ReviewReviews (3,148)

Reviewed January 11, 2009

I had read some negative reviews about the Hyatt and was a bit apprehensive but my husband and I had a wonderful stay there. There are probably less expensive places to stay, but I thought it was worth every penny. I was there for a conference and booked a room there at a special rate. Given that, I was not expecting a super room, but we had an outside facing room with a wonderful view of River Street. Slept like a baby - no ventilation noises like some reviewers noted. Parking was easy - we were only charged $12 per night which, again, was worth every penny as parking otherwise is scarce. We did not dine at the hotel with all the excellent restaurants around, but the meals I had there through the conference were all very good. The staff was personable and would go out of their way to speak to you and help with whatever need you may have. This is not a brand new hotel but I found the room and lobby area were clean and attractive. All in all, an excellent stay and I would stay there again! It is in a wonderful location with everything within walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2009

We stayed here for New Years in 07 and it was not so great. We decided to give it one more try so we booked it for New Years 08 we stayed on the 30th of Dec and checked out the next day. The rooms are not so clean. The employees just don't care if you stay there or not. They will not do anything to help your stay comfortable. So that was are last stay there. They are very over priced and they have all these extra costs that they add on with out telling you. Go to the Marriott Riverfront they are much nicer, cleaner and prices are much better. Very nice view.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2008

Usually I enjoy staying at Hyatt facilities. This one did not measure up. Many things were good-courteous staff, good gym. Several problems:

1. Noisy hall ventilating system. Sounded like a large, noisy ice machine.

2. Colleague noted disagreeable antiseptic odor.

3. Very poor restaurants. Coffee shop badly overpriced, & Main restaurant maddeningly slow, didn’t care service.

4,. I had a atrium facing room. I’d advise travelers to ask if evening functions (in this case a noisy Xmas party till 1 AM) are planned during their stay & avoid atrium rooms like the plague if so. I certainly would have sought a different room (or hotel) had I known.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank peachesdad
Reviewed December 15, 2008

The Hyatt Regency in Savannah, GA is a pretty good choice of stay if you are looking for 3 star quality with a good location. The outside is not much to look at, in fact it is not in keeping with the historic theme of Savannah. However, the inside has been renovated and has a warm feeling. The staff is outstanding. The rooms are 3 star quality. My only complaints would be the heating/cooling system and the noise you may hear from the bar/club in the lobby. The heating/cooling system is either on or off. It is constantly running with no automatic shut off once your desired temp is reached. Instead the system heats up your room above your desired temp and then switches to cold air to bring the room below your desired temperature. The result is periods where the room is too hot, and then too cold. Also my wife and I had an interior room that faces the lobby. It was a Friday night so we could hear occasional music / people at the night club in the lobby. Of couse this may only be a problem if you plan on going to bed before midnight. However, these issues did not ruin our stay and I would recommend this hotel. The location is in walking distance to the Riverwalk, and City Center.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2008

Have visited Savannah on many occasions , staying at both the boutique & chain type hotels , we were delighted with both the service & the cleanliness of this Hyatt. Cannot beat the location & the new "Ruth Chris" is just across the street.
Will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2008

I'll try to be as fair as I can with this review. We're not big fans of "luxury" hotels that charge high room rates and then try to al la carte you to death with the "extras."
The location is Savannah's best, right on the heart of River St., but we were there for a conference with a tightly planned program which allowed very little time to get out and experience the city (not Hyatt's fault, of course).
The room was large, had a flat screen TV, and the bed was excellent. These are the pluses to "luxury" hotels.
The elevators were awkward to operate because you have to use a room key to activate them.
The meals, most of which were group, were decent, but not exceptional. Our one meal on our own was the breakfast buffet, not nearly good as at a Marriott, and way overpriced ($16.95?!).
We wandered into the bar one time for a drink and experienced poor service accompanied by a bad employee attitude.
We brought our laptop but decided to pass on paying $10 per day for Internet access (even the business center charges to use the Internet!).
The parking garage charges $18 per day; we pulled our car after one day and found a new deck on Bryan St. that offered free parking (only for the month of November).
If you're a business traveler, you probably won't care about the things that bugged us because you're being reimbursed (as was I in my former life). But if you're going to Savannah for pleasure, I strongly suggest you choose the Marriott about 1/2 mile to the east (we've stayed there twice and enjoyed it very much).

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business