“Overall- Hyatt Not Great, But Pretty Good.”

Hyatt Regency Savannah
Ranked #30 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 12, 2008

General:
(Us=2 middle age couples w/separate King Rooms---Did the Savannah Tourist thing 4-nights).

Overall:
Location: A+
Easy walking distance to most everything.

Room: C-
(-) Air conditioning was a constant low (or high) drone, no TV guide (other than HBO's), not enough outlet plug ins, water saver shower, no mini-bar in room, room bottled water @ $5.00 each(!) , not enough hangers.

(+) Attractive decor, good views, good bed & many pillows, individual coffee maker and other amenities (iron, hair dryer, extra blankets, shampoo, etc),

Hotel Staff:
(-) Bathroom was not thoroughly cleaned each day.
(+) Desk & valet staff very professional, helpful, & courteous.

Parking:
(-) SUV @ $20, Car $18 per day. (We did not have a vehicle, but were incorrectly charged, but front desk removed it.

Gym:
(+) Didn't use, but it seemed well equiped & clean.

Bar: (+) Comfortable & Good Service, Big TV's, Not Too Loud., Pricey.

Restaurant: (?) Pricey, so we never used, too many reasonable nearby good restaurants and Pannera Bread or Starbucks nearby for breakfast.

Taxi: (-) (All were parked in front of the Hyatt, but are independent) Driver to airport was almost illiterate and his Van was filthy.

Overall; Enjoyed our stay, but they have room for improvement.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank APRZR

Reviewed September 7, 2008

My husband, daughter and I stayed here one night over Labor Day weekend. We booked using Priceline ($60! hotel website rate was $169), so we loved the price. The room was clean, nicely furnished and nicely decorated. The location cannot be beat...River Street runs under the hotel, so dining, drinks and shopping are all around you. The hotel has valet parking ($18) and no other parking is available. Overall, we had a nice stay (although it was way too short).

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Biscottina
Reviewed August 23, 2008

This was my first visit to any Hyatt and I had high expectations for service, given the name. I stayed one night: 4th of July. The price was around $200. You can't beat the location, especially for the fireworks. We just went down the elevator and were there. No battle for parking. The staff I encountered at the front desk did not live up to what I expected. The associate loudly told people they could check-in using the kiosk instead of waiting for her. I asked another front desk employee for change so I could tip the valet. He told me they didn't give change and I could go try the gift shop (I was checking out and had to haul my luggage around just to get change to tip the valet). The staff did allow me to check in a few hours early with no hassle. The room did not 'wow' me (as I expected for this price) but it was fine. The hotel felt outdated. The lobby has a nice ambiance, with an inside bar, coffee shop, gift shop, concierge, etc. A nice place to hang out. I wrote Hyatt regarding the disappointing service and they were not very responsive. They offered a room upgrade on my next stay. I most likely won't be back since you don't get what you pay for here.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank PondHopper23
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Stayed at the Hyatt for a convention so hotel was very full. Check in went very well...quick and accurate. We had booked just a regular room but did receive a room with a nice view of River Street and the river itself. Room was fine with nice size bathroom and counter space.

Housekeeping service at the hotel was "iffy". Left a tip for the maid every day. First day room was cleaned, fresh towels, etc but no refill of the coffee for the next day. Next day room was cleaned but no towels were delivered at all. I had to call twice so I could get towels to take a shower that day. A few more little problems occurred until the day before we left. We received a floor mat and shower mat for the bathroom....never had one before that and guess we just figured they didn't provide them so we had to be careful not to fall everyday in the shower! Received extra amenities in the room too. Wish we had the same maid all week and we would have been very happy overall.

Service at the Vu Lounge was actually pretty good. The servers were very friendly and got to know us once we started stopping by after our meetings during the week. They did have nice beverages and a nice view sitting outside on the balcony.

Windows, the restaurant did not have as good of service. Had to wait for food and the bill after dining. That was just ok.

Hated the pool. It was in the lower floor with no sun deck. Just a pool in the basement with concrete.

Actually the lobby of the Hyatt reminds me of an Embassy Suites. It has a tall atrium with all of the walkways opening out to the atrium and a glass elevator in the middle. Actually the elevator was one of the worst ever! You had to use your card just to go up and had to insert it just at the correct time or you would be going up and down for a while until you could get your card in for the correct floor! And we only found two elevators to go to the rooms. Got pretty busy at the end of daily meetings when a couple hundred people were trying to go up or down.

I would say this was an OK Hyatt. Definitely not top of the line. Location for staying at the river area is good although no quaintness or historical value whatsoever with this hotel as are with the hotels in the historic district.

Ok convention hotel but if you are looking for historic walks and quieter areas...stay away from this area.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt August 8th thru the 11th. We cannot say enough good things about the hotel and the staff. The hotel is centrally located right on Bay St. We had a great room that had a river view and a front street view. The room was clean, the bed was very comfy and had plenty of bed linens and pillows.
We loved walking out the back door of the hotel and being right on River St. We give the staff of the Hyatt an A++++. They really go out of their way to assist their guest. Troy the doorman is super nice! We did not meet anyone in Savannah who was not nice.
We ate at Vic's on the River. The food is ok, was not my favorite.
We had breakfast at Huey's and was very good. Gotta love the Beignets (sp?)! We stayed on the go so much that we just stopped here and there for our meals.
We ate at another restaurant on the river but can't remember the name of it. You turned left out the back door of the Hyatt to go to it. They have a great shrimp and grits appetizer. We also ate at Tony Roma's and Six Pence Pub. Both were fine.
We attended two shows, Return to the 50's and The Beat Goes On. These are both great shows with Return to the 50's being our favorite. Amazing talent!
Went to the Paula Deen store for a souvenier. Did not eat there as they were booked.
Rode over to Tybee Island to have a look around. Walked on the beach and on the pier to watch the people fish.
It was a great trip. We walked everywhere and one night we used a Pedicab. Aaron was our driver and he was a very nice young man.
Savannah is a wonderful place and we throughly enjoyed our 3 days there!!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank gakats09
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Stayed this past Friday night at the Hyatt Regency Savannah and had an awesome stay. Even though I booked through priceline, the staff was just awesome. Everyone that we came in contact with went out of their way to assist with any requests. One thing that really was impressive were many of the staff members who went out of their way to use my name. This really made for a personable experience and showed that extra effort on their part. The rooms were great. One room faced the atrium the other faced downtown Savannah. No problems with either room at all. Both rooms were clean, up-to-date, had an abundance of pillows, and a LCD TV. I have stayed at a number of hotels in Savannah and the location of this hotel cannot be beat. While the other hotels were close as well, the location of this hotel makes you feel like you're right in the middle of everything. It was really cool that they have an elevator that takes you right to River Street so you can avoid the steep stairs. Also, walking distance to Paula Deen's restaurant. Had a wonderful breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Great view of the river (note the river is industrial) and the buffet was awesome. The buffet is $16.95 which to me is a lot for breakfast but the price seems to be about average compared to what other hotels of this caliber are charging. I've seen some hotel charge a dollar or two less and others a dollar or two more. On my next trip to Savannah, I will defintely keep this hotel in mind.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank JohnroFlorida
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We just returned from a 3 day weekend at the Hyatt. I cannot say enough good things about our experience. Everyone we met from the valet, the registration people, the ladies working in the restaurant to the maintenance guy were all very, very nice and very professional. We stayed on the "clock tower side" and had a room sitting directly over River Street with a great view of the river. These rooms give a much better view that the riverfront rooms and they cost less! We had dinner at The Cotton Exchange on River Street and lunch one day at the Olympus Cafe and I highly recommend both. If I had to say anything negative it would be parents that seem to think the lobby and the escalators are their children's playground, but that is certainly not the hotel's fault. I hope we get to return to the Hyatt very soon!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple