“Authentic Savannah At Its Best!”
Review of Forsyth Park Inn

Forsyth Park Inn
Ranked #9 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Atlanta
“Authentic Savannah At Its Best!”
Reviewed May 5, 2009

My experience at the inn was wonderful! The rooms were lovely, clean, & decorated beautifully. We had an outside delicious breakfast which overlooked Forsyth Park, and during the evening, we enjoyed wine, good conversation, and homemade hors d'oeuvres (which were wonderful, by the way!) Lori, the owner, was particularly very sweet. She as well as her staff were more than accommodating, as well as charming. We also had an opportunity to check out some of the other rooms; and they too were also decorated to perfection! This inn has an exquisite taste in southern hospitality & I will be coming back to visit very soon! Thank you so much to Lori & her staff!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank driag123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
montreal
Reviewed May 5, 2009

I had a wonderful stay at the Forsyth Park Inn. The location was great, the staff was very courteous, and the room was beautiful. Thank you very much for making my visit Savannah very memorable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank plsbkm
boston
Reviewed May 4, 2009

Expected an elegant inn for the almost $400 per night with adding in taxes and additonal third guest. Was so very dissapointed. Room 3 seemed nice enough at first until you try to get ready for the day. Only mirror is in the bathroom over the sink. If you wanted to use an electrical outlet other than in the bathroom, meant going down on your knees and trying to plug into a floor outlet. Not easy if your older than 35! Not to mention the electrical service couldn't handle a blow dryer, kept going on and off..... Our room was very dark even during the morning. Room left much to be desired in ease of getting three people ready for the day. TV in it was very small and very old. I know this was suppose to be a "Inn" experience compared to a more modern hotel, HOWEVER, like I say for $400 per night, we certainly expected alot more and should have received alot more. There wasn't anything close to special about the meals or snacks. The hurried atmosphere to eat breakfast and not be able to linger over coffee, really became very annoying. Felt I was on management's schedule, not mine. Certainly didn't feel the Southern charm we had hope to expect. Just very business like. This Inn is quite a way from the water front area and at night would advise taking cabs. The park across the street is very nice duirng the day, however at night, we certainly did not feel comfortable sitting out on the porch watching individuals walking in and out of one particular area on a constant basis and then walking by us on their way down the street. Left to go back in our room and realized that the window/door opening on this porch did not have a workable lock. When you realize that no staff stays overnight on the premises, felt not very safe, except for the heavy locks on our room door. This place is just not worth the cost in any way. Yes, some of the rooms are pretty but overall I would say the inn has more of a gothic appearance than that of a true southern mansion. A few nights there were only us and one other couple all night. Signs left out saying to call 911 if an emergency occured seemed to shout out to me "your own your own" at night time when it comes to safety. Never again. Stayed at a La Quinta Inn on our way home that seemed like a breath of fresh air compared to the Forsyth Inn and, of course, for 1/4 the cost. If we got something for the money we spent at this Inn I know I would have enjoyed it more, but this was just a mediocre experience all around. Just a huge letdown. Oh, did I mention the parking? there was none - unless you lucked out on the steet close by. We didn't , as a art festival was being held across at the park the day of our arrival. Had to lug all our luggage two blocks then up the front stairs oursleves.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank bostonmadison
Rick_LoriSavannah_GA, Owner at Forsyth Park Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2009
The two negative reviews posted by guests who stayed with us in May are written by the members of the same party who became very irritated at check out when they acted surprised to see that there was, not as they stated, a $50.00 additional charge for the third person staying, but rather a $30.00 charge per night. This was explained to the guest when she originally booked the reservation and also a customary charge of inns and hotels. We do not have "hidden" fees or charges.
In addition they stated that the owner was not on the premise, but indeed I was, cooking their breakfast, including a "gluten free" breakfast each morning. This was not requested in advance, but rather at the last minute. I gladly accommodated the request each morning. Each morning on the breakfast menu is our homemade granola, a fresh fruit first course, a full breakfast ranging from eggs benedict to made from scratch blueberry buttermilk pancakes, stuffed french toast, omelets of all kinds, sides such as oven baked herb potatoes, Georgia grits, potato pancakes, polenta, bacon, sausage patties or links, biscuits, breakfast breads, croissants, toast. We have always been know for our pleasing and abundant breakfast. We do have 30 minute seatings and our guests would never be treated poorly if they were running late. Guests may always linger and enjoy coffee on our verandah rocking chairs or in our private courtyard garden. They may also enjoy these common areas any time of the day or evening and are never restricted to just the parlor.
In regard to specific comments about the room, I was only informed while preparing breakfast for our guests that one of the ladies could not figure out how to turn the shower on. My supervisor immediately went to her room and showed her how to simply turn the lever. I was also told by my staff that one of the ladies banged both of her hands on our front desk asking my concierge "what is there to do around here" and "isn't there miniature golf around here". Another call that I received from my staff one evening was about the thermostat in their room "sparking". This has never happened and my staff switched it on and off several times and did not experience any sparking whatsoever. They possibly could have experienced static electricity, but the system was checked and is in proper working order. We were never informed about the toilet not flushing properly. That too was checked and seems to be in fine working order. As for the outlets located in the floor, even a wall outlet would require bending and this was done many years ago so not to damage the over 100 year old wainscoting that surrounds the entirety of this room. My true feeling is that they were simply not prepared to pay the charge for the extra person and the inn's amenities were not such that pleased them. Therefore, as they stated in their review, the LaQuinta was like a "breath of fresh air" and obviously more their kind of place.
My staff and myself make every effort to insure that our guests are treated warmly, kindly and shown true southern hospitality. We regret that this group of ladies did not feel they had that experience.
Mass.
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I stayed at this inn about 5 years ago with my husband and it was a very delightful experience. Because of this I highly recommended to my friends that we stay there on our recent trip to Savannah. Nothing was the same. The service, the accommodations and the food had all gone down hill. Our room had a toilet that needed to be flushed 3 times. The switch for the air conditioner sparked when turned up or down, tiles were missing from the bathroom floor, and there was only one electrical outlet in the bathroom and no usable outlets in the bedroom. These inferior accommodations could have been overlooked if the staff was friendly and accommodating. When we told them about the sparking air conditioning switch in our room, they denied that there was any safety issue. They never fixed the toilet during our three days there. The breakfasts were meager and very ordinary. They scheduled breakfast in half-hour increments and actually became very upset when one of my friends was 3 minutes later than our scheduled seating time. We had to eat breakfast in less than 30 minutes in order to make room for the next seating. One bottle of red wine and one bottle of white wine were put out each afternoon and both bottles were already opened and half gone when put out. The hors d'oeuvres turned out to be salsa and chips and small pieces of bread with melted cheese. Wine and hors d’oeuvres were served in their enchanted garden five years ago but are now served in their living room apparently to save time. The desserts that were put out before bedtime turned out to be small store bought cream puffs one night and cookies the next night. The cookies, however, were all gone when we returned to the inn at 10 p.m. even though we were told desserts would be available throughout the night. The worst part of our stay was the additional $50. they tacked on each day for the third person. They never mentioned the additional $50. per day when we made the reservation for 3 people. When we disputed the additional charge they tried to tell us we never booked the room for three people. When we convinced them that we did, they said they sometimes don’t tell people because the third person sometimes doesn’t show. They would not budge on the rate and had already charged our credit card. The room was definitely not worth $384. per night and we intend to dispute the charge with our credit card company. They definitely don't care to make their guests feel welcomed and obviously have cut corners to try to offer as little as possible in the way of amenities. The owner is no longer on the premises and the maid seems to be the one in charge. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Unfriendly and unprofessional staff
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank zoeym
Milton, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We just returned from a one night stay in room 11--many other inns would not accommodate a short stay, so we felt lucky to find the Forsyth Park. Even though this was on the lowest level, which we were not expecting, the room was still bright and airy as well as clean and comfortable. There was a deep soaking tub with a shower handle, but no mounting--very European and didn't bother us, though this may be a put off to many. The staff was among the most helpful that I've encountered and the location was marvelous. We loved that, in addition to breakfast, they also served wine and hors d'oevres on their veranda every evening. We would certainly return in the future.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlisaAAM
Orlando
Reviewed October 26, 2008

This was my second time staying here and once again everything was perfect! You have the Forsyth Park right across the street which is so beautiful. It is about a mile from the riverfront but my mom & and I walked it daily. (It wasn't bad. You walked through the squares which all have benches incase you need to take a break. It's any easy walk.)
The breakfast was great. Southern cooking. Then from 6-7 they have wine hour and then at night they have dessert. It was great. I will stay here again. This is the only place in Savannah that I will ever stay at. LOVE IT!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank amaybride
Wakefield MA
Reviewed September 21, 2008

We stayed 5 days in the Cottage at the Inn. The accomodations in the Cottage and the Inn were wonderful. The breakfasts in the parlor and on the porch were spectacular. What made the stay remarkable was the owner and the staff. Lori, Gerry and Mary were incredibly welcoming and attentive to our every need. They did anything they could think of to make our stay nothing short of perfect. We felt at home and well cared for which is what a good Inn is all about. This was the vacation I wished would never end.

• Liked — Beautiful Inn, friendly staff
  • Disliked — That I had to leave!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)