“Surprise in Midtown”

Courtyard Savannah Midtown
Ranked #77 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Surprise in Midtown”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I was very surprised to find such a good value hotel away from the Historic District. The same hotel would have been double the price there, and it was only a quick 10 minute drive through some nice neighborhoods. Staff was great, rooms were brand new (finishing up a remodel). Linens were new and room was clean. Nice lobby with a market and a bar/bistro. Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Kimbo305

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were in Savannah visiting friend and wanted to find a place to stay equidistant between where they live and downtown. The Courtyard seemed like a good place.

From the start we noticed just how friendly all of the staff was. EVERYONE had a smile, said hello, and was just really nice. The hotel is very clean and we really liked our room.

The only downside was our room overlooked the small courtyard with the outdoor gas fire. That by itself wasn't the problem. The problem was the group of drunks that decided to stay out until 3-4am! It wasn't that bothersome until they decided to let a dog join the part and its barking woke my wife and I up. I'd had enough and had to call the front desk. The party promptly broke up (finally!), so I credit the front desk for helping, however I think the hotel should have some sort of curfew on the outdoor area.

That aside, everything else was great. Their breakfast and afternoon appetizers and beer/wine is a nice touch. The front desk set us up with a trolley tour of the historic district and provided us with maps and dinner suggestions.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the Courtyard and will certainly stay there again on our next visit to Savannah.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one two nights during a long road trip. Great room with huge bed. Wonderful "back patio" style view of the pool. Awesome hot tub. Very comfortable and clean overall.

Not far from the Historic District. Most of our trip involved trips over there. Even with traffic it was just a 10-15 minute drive.

Some renovations were in process which interfered with me attempting any laundry at the time (all the units were pulled out and the room freshly painted when I walked by), and no free breakfast is served here, but room service is available and the lobby houses a "market" of different smack items you may purchase.

Overall is was a nice stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I travel quite a bit and have stayed in some really nasty conditions. Never in my dreams would I guess a Marriott brand hotel would make me want to go to a Motel 6. I can understand missing one or two things in a room with how many they have to clean, but this place has bigger problems than a lack of attention to detail. You almost can't make this stuff up.
- First thing I checked was the locking mechanism in my room on the sliding door. It would not latch, so I adjusted myself using my multi-tool before leaving the room.
- My patio was covered in debris, trash and a lot of cigarette butts.
- My toilet had nasty residue indicating it hadn't seen a brush in a really long time, blood and urine stains, as well as other gross stuff.
- Pubic hair on floor
- The shower curtain was still wet from last guest (curtain pulled together)
- Soap residue and pubic hair in shower
- Shampoo bottle less than half full (left from last guest?)
- Soap tray at sink had soap residue
- Coffee maker water reservoir had white residue in it
- Only 2 hangers in the closet
- My iron was caked with residue coming out of all the holes
- Refrigerator had crumbs all over the top (it is not in a cabinet, it sits on the floor and hard to miss when cleaning the room.
- Inside of refrigerator not cleaned
- Clothing drawers had black residue in each one and hair in one of them
- Trash under outer edge of sofa
- 2 inch gap under hallway door
- Walls are so thin you can clearly hear your neighbors conversations (sounded like one of my neighbors was having sex in my room at 11:30 one night)

... and the best for last...

- free food! There was a sandwich left for me in the microwave.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rachel C, Manager at Courtyard Savannah Midtown, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank for bringing all of this to my attention and I'm truly sorry that you had to experience this during your stay here. Your room cleanliness was not acceptable and all of this was brought to the housekeeper's attention. In addition, we have almost an entire new housekeeping team and we check every room after they are finished in order to ensure that everything is perfect, I do hope you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I chose this hotel completely by price and location: I needed to be on Skidaway Island the following morning for business. Triple A rate was seventy-something dollars and my platinum status with Marriott got me an upgrade to a one bedroom suite. The room was clean, all furnishings and fixtures in good shape. My only complaint is that I had trouble getting the temperature down to my preferred deep chill for bedtime. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Because my meeting ran late, I stayed last minute, the following night. Did not get the upgrade, but the hotel was obviously busier, but service again was fantastic and no complaints about the accommodations. In the regular king room I had better luck with the HVAC.

There was a storage pod in the parking lot, and judging from recent reviews, some renos may have started since my stay-although the area I was in did not need work.

Very convenient to mall area and restaurants there.

Room Tip: We always ask for an upper floor, Courtyard view at this chain and it always pays off!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My group and I were required by our organization to stay here for a convention. I would not advise ever staying here. When we called to make our reservation we asked for conjoiningrooms with two queens and a couch. They told us certainly what would be their pleasure. One of my friends and I put our card down for one of the rooms we were told it would be certain price too. Upon check-in we get told they do not have conjoiningrooms or rooms with two queens. The couches were small and could barley fit two people. So we slept three to the king bed and one to the couch. The walls are so paper thin that you can hear other people TVs and them talking in a normal volume. In one of our room the ac was broken on the other room we couldn't make it any Warmer and it was freezing we were so cold that we asked for more blankets twice, there were two towels so we asked for more towels and only four pillows for all fpur of is. We asked for more and we ran out of toilet paper. When we called in our requests the person at the front desk was nice and polite. I can understand why they do what they do they were a pleasure. But the people who brought is our blanked and pillows told us that we could not ask for anything else and that normaly they only give you two things apart from what comes in your room. She was rude and a bit snarky. When we ran of of toilet paper we called and they said they would bing it. Then the lady who came to our door called us and said they could not give us any more. So we just didn't have any. If you have two people in your room. It is the perfect amount of stuff. Only half of the hotel was operational and the outside of the hotel on one side is gross they had mattresses, lamps, sofas, and who knows what else left out in the rain and molding. The area is some what ok but that doesn't prevent drug deals from going on next door. All 8 of us girls were terrified to walk outside. I would not recommend the hotel the one good thin is that the bed was comfy :)

Will never use Marriott again. Ever!

And also they charged my card 2x more money than was on my bill I called and she said they would fix it and have yet to do it. I called them again and they said to wait 3-5 business days to get my money back. They have made a broke college student even more broke.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ammiles1134
My apologies regarding the inconveniences you had during your stay here. We were under renovation while you stayed with us and unfortnately yes, almost half of the building was out of order and being remodeled. The items that were outside were the old mattresses and other items that were being thrown away. I know this did ceate an eye sore and I'm very sorry about this. I always advise guests to use a credit card to check in and if you would like to use a debit card to pay, present your debit card at check out. We do authorize the amount of your stay plus incidentals each night which shows as "pending" on your bank account and actually holds the funds. This authorization does drop off within 3-5 business days depending on your bank.
Oak Ridge, North Carolina
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was reluctant of staying in this hotel in midtown. I come to Savannah once a month and it is hardly the same place. That being said I cant remember the last time I stayed in the midtown area. Nothing wrong with it, just seems overpriced or greatly underpriced depending on where in the area. In Savannah, you get what you pay for. I liked being close to the mall and several shops and restaurants. Starbucks is right down the road too. Downtown Savannah is about a 10mn drive on a good day. I-95 can be more like 20mns and traffic can make it much more. The hotel staff was friendly and the room was very comfortable. The rate was pretty good too. Really, its all about the location for this hotel,

Room Tip: This hotel is on Abercorn, so when coming out you have to make a beeline to do a u-turn if you want...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple