“Sloppy Housekeeping!”

Ranked #72 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
marietta, ga
“Sloppy Housekeeping!”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

The lobby area was the nicest part of the hotel, it looked recently remodeled and included a cafe selling food, Starbucks coffee, and a limited alcholic selection. The rooms were just "okay" but poorly designed floor plans - at least in our suite. There was a generously sized bedroom with a king sized bed, a sitting area, and a small balcony. The room would theoretically sleep four with the pullout sofa. But the bathroom was absolutely miniscule. (The kind where you have to turn sideways to close the door!) The separate vanity area was also very cramped. For a room serving 2-4 guests it was entirely inadequate. The "kitchenette" area had no sink at all although it had a large mirror. It is puzzling why a sink for making coffee or beverages as well as using as a back up vanity area was not included.

But the most disappointing part of this visit was the abyssmal housekeeping service. Upon returning to our room the first day of the visit we intially thought there had been no maid service because we saw no evidence of cleaning. Then, seeing that the bed was made, we figured a maid had been there. But our towels had not been replaced in the bathroom, they were left damp and used - not even hung up to dry. (We had naturally assumed fresh ones would be provided unless the hotel gave us an option for reusing them as some places do.) The worst offense, by far, was the fact the we actually ran out of toilet tissue. I have to say this is the first time any of us had EVER experienced this at ANY hotel! Even the cheapest ecnomoy hotel provides adequate bathroom tissue - and at a Marriott hotel, this shouldn't even be an issue. But the second morning of our visit, the roll was empty (having not been replaced at the the maid's "visit") and no replacement was to be found.

Upon bringing these isues to the manager's attention, we received an apology. But yet by the time we returned to our room, there was still no tissue and we had to help ourselves from a maid's cart. (The manager should have had that taken care of PRONTO!) And there was nothing on our bill at checkout to compensate us for the very poor service. (Comping the coffees we had purchased at the cafe, for example, might have been an adequate gesture of reconciliation!)

Probably won't return to this location since there are so many others to choose from in the Savannah area on our next visit!

Room Tip: Ask about bathroom size, could be an issue!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 9, 2011

The one thing I like about Marriott is that they are fairly consistent. We knew what to expect and they largely delivered. They are undergoing major renovation to the lobby to update so the check in was around to the side, but I won't hold that against them. Make me wonder why it's taking them this long to update compared to other courtyards. Everything about the room, beds were fine. Staff was ok. Condition of the hotel is somewhat dated. Kids loved the pool and hot tub. We LOVED Savannah, even though this is out of the way of the historic district.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
South Carolina
Reviewed January 31, 2011

I stayed at this property during a local soccer tournament. All of the hotels in this part of town, including this one, were full of players & families. I heard only a small amount of noise from people in the hallway and nothing from the rooms around me. I'm a light sleeper, so this is an important detail in my book.

My room was clean and comfortable. In years past, Courtyard rooms have been dark. This one was great - lots of lights, wired internet, updated flat-screen TV, decent cable choices. The bathroom was small but serviceable. Good water pressure and hot water.

The location is OK. You will have to drive for a restaurant (the on-site one is open only for breakfast as is true of most Courtyards). There's a Denny's within a short walk but that's it. Access to the property can be tricky because the 4-lane road is divided -- you have to approach from the proper direction. A left turn into the property is prohibited.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 5, 2011

I travel often staying at many different hotels etc using priceline. When I booked our New Years reservations through priceline with Marriott Courtyard I was pleased as I have had very good experiances in the past wtih the Marriott brand. We checked in, joked around with the front desk staff and provided my card number for incidentals. At no time were we informed that 20 per day would be drafted from my card outright. The next day after calling my bank, I called the front desk to see why a charge had been placed. The front desk woman explained to me that it was charged for incidentals....now I have stayed at the Omni hotels, Lowes and various other places booked through priceline and all held my card # but did not make a charge. She offered to get me to the GM of the property (I believe her name was Karen). While speaking with Karen she not only raised her voice and from that start was combative and defensive, as I was calmly asking for an explanation, she claimed it was a charge because "we don't know if you are going to trash the room". This was slightly offensive but as I tried to explain to her that we were not informed what the incidental charge was going to be and so hopefully she could understand our frustration. She raised her voice at which time I politely requested she not do so as I had not in any way yelled at her and didn't think it apropriate at which time she said "Fine I will take off the charge". The next day, the charge was still there so I called to inquire at which time was told by Karen and I quote "I am not listening to you or talking to you -contact customer service. You are rude" and then she hung up on me. At no time did I raise my voice to her or ANY of the associates. I did express my confusion as to Marriotts specific policy and to why we were not informed of the actual charges at the time of check in. I would never be rude to one of the front desk associates as I was a manager for many years of an upscale salon and realize that as the front line, the front desk associates unfortunately get a brunt of client frustration so I go out of my way to not "shoot the messanger". I will say that this was by far the worst customer service experiacne I have ever had and will not stay at another Marriott Courtyard again. If the general manager cannot handle guest inquiries and complaints without yelling or being down right hostile and rude, perhaps another line of employment would be best. It was by far the most surreal experiance I have had when making a customer inquiry. The property itself wasn't bad but nothing fancy. The cleaning staff and maintenence staff were great-always a smile and a kind word. We stayed there for 5 days...I wish we hadn't booked through priceline because we would have left just because of the CRAZY and rude behavior of their management.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stanleygirl84

Travelers are raving about these Savannah hotels

TN
Reviewed December 18, 2010

This hotel is similar to other Courtyards that I've recently stayed in. Maybe a a few years older than some others, but it isn't bad by any means. The hotel is nicely tucked away from the street, surronded by trees, and looks "resort"-ish. Location was good, about 10 mins from downtown. Free parking.

Rooms are nicely updated and also have a balcony, which you don't find very often. I had a king bed, couch, nice sized desk, huge flatscreen. Bed was so-so...not the most comfortable, but not bad. Spacious bathroom. Free internet but you have to use an ethernet cord--no WiFi.

I read reviews that the hotel was noisy...it is a little noisy. I was by the ice machine which makes noise all the time....but I just ran the fan, and it covered up the noise.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We just stayed @ this hotel for one night on November 6th.
The location is very good. Only about 10 minutes from the Downtown Historic District which saved us alot of money.
There are several Restaurants,Stores & a Shopping Mall within minutes.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Very noisy ...walls either paper thin or lack appropriate sound buffer- heard neighbors tv blaring into our room (but what was probably normal tv volume) and loud noises/traffic in the hall. We are not opposed to noise in the slightest; however, it was so bad that my husband and I did not feel as if we could talk or have any degree of privacy that you would expect from a room. I think it part it was because our room was ground floor near the front desk and had lots of coming and going near by.
With all that being said, noise settled down through the night and we were able to sleep well. I might, might stay here again, but I would not highly recommend it. I usually love Courtyards by Marriott so I was a little disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple