“Cannot say enough good things...”
Review of 17 Hundred 90 Inn

17 Hundred 90 Inn
Ranked #10 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
“Cannot say enough good things...”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Let me start off by saying I have been to Savannah many, many times and I have stayed at many places there... 17 Hundred 90 Inn was hands down the best!! I was so sad to leave. I was hesitant about booking at first because all the main house rooms were booked and I wasn't sure I wanted to stay off the property, but I took a chance and I am so glad I did.

My family and I went in January for my birthday and stayed on the top floor of the guest house. It was like a mini apartment with a private living room with fireplace, a separate bedroom and an exquisite bathroom with a relaxing jetted tub.

The location was great and within walking distance to everything. There was a free continental breakfast which consisted of cereals, fruit, assorted muffins and danishes etc. We only dined for breakfast, but the dining room was gorgeous with exposed brick walls and chandeliers. Totally up my ally!

The innkeepers were so kind and eager to help with whatever we needed or whatever questions we had.

I couldn't recommend this place more! 5 stars in my book!

Room Tip: Top floor of the guest house (I don't remember the number).
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Tampa, FL
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife and I stayed at 17hundred90 Inn for a weekend celebrating our anniversary. Our room was very cozy with a fireplace and wood floors. The staff was very nice. The restaurant was very good as well (A separate review is posted about that). This Inn is "haunted" but we didn't have any out of the ordinary experiences. Location is great, within walking distance to everything in Historic Savannah.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jbdusf
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We booked the Inn because it was in the heart of Savannah, not because of the reported resident ghost! We are generally non-believers, but not 'scaredy cats' either. On arrival, we were a bit put off by the exterior appearance. In an old and architecturally-famous city, we expected it too look more charming. It was not. But once we entered the front door, we knew we had just what we wanted. The building's interior exudes character, from the deeply stained wooden ceilings to the slightly lumpy ancient and uneven floors. It is truly old and that is a significant part of the appeal. The staff offered help with our luggage. The stairwells are narrow and navigating them required some care. Persons with physical challenges should be aware.

The first room we were offered was one which had a window onto an interior corridor only, not the exterior as one would expect. That was not acceptable to my wife who has claustrophobia. Once we pointed that fact out, the management quickly found us another room, this time in their annex building just a few doors away from the original building. The room we were then offered was actually a two-room suite! Don't expect that every time, but it was a lovely touch. The annex is of the same charm, although was obviously a superior structure when it was built.

The rooms are appropriately fitted out with period furniture, mostly genuine antiques, which give the overall impression that an 'olde inn' should. If you don't like antiques, this may not be the place for you, but we loved it. Air conditioning is in place. We did not need it when we visited. We were pleasantly surprised to find it in such an old building - constructed as it was early 1800's (despite the 1790 name).

The included breakfast is modest, but adequate, with mostly cold things, continental style. A full breakfast is available at additional cost, I believe. Speaking of dining here, the Inn's restaurant is fabulous. We had one evening meal there and it was one of the best restaurant meals we have ever had - and we dine out a lot! Everything was prepared to perfection and served with class - and at the end, the waitstaff told stories of Anna, the resident ghost, to the attendant guests' delight. It was a charming evening.

Parking is a bit troublesome as one would expect in an older property in a downtown area. There is not sufficient parking for all guests' vehicles, so on-street parking with attention to parking meters may be expected for some guests. We lucked into a space on their small parking lot and our car stayed there for the duration of our visit.

Finally, the staff were helpful and pleasant throughout. Not just the "have a good day" type of greeting; these were human beings who genuinely wanted to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Thank you for that genuine hospitality.

Savannah was on our 'bucket list'. It is a lovely city to visit. If it is also on yours, please stay at this Inn. You will not be disappointed!

1 Thank John_CornerBrook
Zelienople
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Very pleased with this B&B. We stayed at their guest house just down the street. It needed a little TLC, but looked like they were in the process of maintaining the building. It was very quaint and quite, right in the historic district and walking distance to shops and restaurants. Also loved the Tavern in the Inn. Had dinner their every night. Food was very good, try the crab stew! Had a good time talking to all the locals.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 17, 2014

If you look at B&B's around Savannah, you know that they can run on the pricey side. We stayed at 1790 on Valentine's weekend in room 311, which is separate from the main Inn. I think for the price, the room was just fine. The owners really put a lot of love and work into this property - and they have the before and after restoration pics to prove it! If you're looking to stay in a restored Savannah home for a reasonable rate, definitely give this a try. If you are looking for a pristine and perfect room, you might want to pay a little bit more at one of the other B&Bs. However, you can't beat the location - about 2 blocks up from Broughton, so an easy walk to that area and River Street, which is likely the way you'll be heading at night. Also, even if you don't stay here, be SURE to eat here! We had an amazing meal our first night in town (luckily we made reservations right when we checked in, they were almost completely booked on a Thursday!) - our server Steven was fantastic and the food was superb. The dining room is adorable as well - wood, exposed brick, etc. - can't say enough good things about the dining experience here- definitely go!!

Room Tip: If you do stay offiste in 311 or 312, I would pick 312 as it is in the rear of the house and 311 is...
lakeland
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Staff was super friendly and helpful. We were able to stay in Rm 204 that is known as Anna's room. Had a little activity in the room at night. Kids loved it. Great location. Short walk to restaurants and such. Would stay there again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jackie3641
Culver City, California
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We always try to stay at a haunted hotel whenever possible, so I couldn't resist this place. I could only get the most haunted room (204) for one night, then they put us in another room (of my choice) for the second night of our two night stay. This was our first trip to Savannah, and even though it was pouring rain the entire time, I loved every minute of our stay.

This hotel is old, it's beautiful, the staff is wonderful. The rooms are very comfortable. The fireplace was not working in our room the 2nd night, which was a bummer since we'd been out in the rain all day, so I wish they could have taken care of that ahead of time. They did offer us a choice of a few other rooms with working fireplaces, but the one with the red bedspread was by far their prettiest room (that I saw) and our stuff was already there, so we stayed put.

The hotel is in a really great location. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. To me, the inn's continental breakfast is not worth bothering with, when you have so many great choices for dining in the historic area. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but we did sip drinks on comfy sofas in front of the fire at the bar.

I didn't get a weird vibe from the haunted room, but when we were packing up our stuff to move to the 2nd room on our 2nd day, I misplaced my small black leather jewelry box. I'm so not a disorganized person and to me, everything has it's place. The box would either be in my suitcase or on the bed. Nowhere else. But It was gone. I pretty much tore the whole room apart looking for it, and after half an hour I found it in my purse, which was on the other side of the room. That might not seem weird to anyone else, but I know for a fact that I didn't or would ever put that box in my purse. It doesn't belong there. Perhaps the ghost was playing games with me, because my husband, aka Mr. Skeptic, thought I was crazy. Thanks Anna!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple